Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:55 PM

795 posts, read 1,009,450 times

Advertisements

Before I retired I worked in a major metropolitan area. My work was very specialized and I worked with certain specific software that pertained to that work. The work was very grueling and tedious. But rewarding by the good pay and satisfaction with the end results. But after about 12 years of it I was fried.
I stopped that work and retired - moved away to a smaller city.
So I see this add on a local job board for a company looking for someone with knowledge and experience with that software I previously worked with. I'm sure I was the only one within 200 miles that had experience with it. Fast forward I interviewed, they made me a good offer the same day. I accepted.
Went in the first day. Fired up the computer and there is the program. I open it up and start thinking what the hell am I doing here. I finished out the day. Called the owner the next morning and told him I would not be a fit for the position etc..
What a big mistake just taking the job because I was a expert with that software. Did not think it through.

Anyone else ever done this in retirement? I feel like a ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 01:01 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
I never looked at a job board after I retired. So no, never happened to me.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I never looked at a job board after I retired. So no, never happened to me.
Yes, that's a good policy!

Old 01-16-2018, 01:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Last summer, I took a temporary job as a church secretary as a favor to the pastor and head elder. Both friends, but not my primary church. They wanted me to fill in until they found a permanent secretary. It was five days a week for two months. I was happy to help, but it did mess up my retirement flow/routine. From now on, I’ll only take a job out of necessity, not for something to do.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:51 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
maybe start out slow next time? I took up substitute teaching but will only take assignments that start after lunch!

I need my slow wake up time in the morning.

And only if it is for an aide assignment. I don't want to be "in charge" - lol

It is amazing how many subs are needed

Old 01-16-2018, 02:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
lovnova, I'm curious as to what emotions and feelings you experienced that first day at the new job. You say you thought 'what the heck am I doing here' - could you expand on what your thoughts were - if you feel like it.

How long had you been retired?

Old 01-16-2018, 02:38 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Haven't been retired very long, but I know one of the key reasons I did retire was to bring an end to an exhausting stressful career. It was killing me emotionally to continue. I still have the same motivations/interests that steered me into that particular career, but I know myself well enough to pursue them on my own terms in other ways. This distinction is important...to understand what my motivations still are, what aspects of the previous jobs were positive and fulfilling, and what were negative and miserable. Somehow I doubt I'll forget and get tempted. It happened to be federal service, so the current political reality makes that pretty easy!

When I talk to friends who are still "back there" at work my first inclination is to say how sorry I am for the situation they find themselves in.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-16-2018 at 03:23 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 02:38 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Yeah not sure what you were thinking, you knew exactly what you were getting into. So now you really screwed over the people who were looking to fill the position. Not only do that have to search again you have now caused them administration overhead to process an employee for a day.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah not sure what you were thinking, you knew exactly what you were getting into. So now you really screwed over the people who were looking to fill the position. Not only do that have to search again you have now caused them administration overhead to process an employee for a day.
Yea Dave, the same people that could fire me the next week because they don't like the way I part my hair.
You must own a business, LOL

Old 01-16-2018, 03:28 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Yea Dave, the same people that could fire me the next week because they don't like the way I part my hair.
You must own a business, LOL
I'm sure you didn't intend to screw over the people who were looking to fill the position. But the truth is you sort of did. So it would only be the thoughtful thing to at least be a little sorry about that and have some teeny bit of remorse about it, instead of thinking "so what?" How insensitive and dismissive of the inconvenience and disruption you caused. Again, I know you didn't intend to.

And the fact that they could have fired you has nothing to do with your actions.

As for why you took the job in the first place you never really said. I too, like Matisse would like to learn from your experience and hear about your thoughts on that first and only day back at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matisse12:You say you thought 'what the heck am I doing here' - could you expand on what your thoughts were - if you feel like it.
If nothing else your story illustrated how important it can be for a person to "know him- or herself," what they want and what they don't want......perhaps how not to hurt, abuse, or even just unintentionally hurt others in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement