Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:23 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

I despise the listicles.

Iowa is listed in the top 10. Having lived there, I understand the conclusion. Crime and drug abuse are negligible compared to most states. The economy is good. You can leave your doors unlocked. Income and wealth are generally better than most of the South and Sunbelt at a similar cost of living.

I don't know what value you put on climate and weather, but Iowa is one severe place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 09:48 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Florida ranks at the top of the best states for retirement.

Trying to plan ahead for where you'll spend your golden years? WalletHub has done a good portion of the legwork for you, looking closely at three categories—affordability, health care, and overall quality of life—in all 50 states to see which ones offer the best retirement options.

10 Best, Worst States for Retirees: List
I don't know why people like Florida. I've been there. It's hot, flat, and in a hurricane zone. Why do so many people move there? I don't get it.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
perfect !! send retirees to FL that lik ethis article.

It is great for many (for decades)

enjoy it!

Old 01-16-2018, 10:18 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I despise the listicles.

Iowa is listed in the top 10. Having lived there, I understand the conclusion. Crime and drug abuse are negligible compared to most states. The economy is good. You can leave your doors unlocked. Income and wealth are generally better than most of the South and Sunbelt at a similar cost of living.

I don't know what value you put on climate and weather, but Iowa is one severe place.
Iowa, like northern Illinois gets **** weather from Nov/Dec to may.

14 years and were out of this dump

Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 AM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I'm not a fan of Florida but I do understand why people like to retire there. It must look awfully appealing to those who are tired of the long, cold, snowy, dreary winters in the northeast and midwest states. Hurricane season would scare me off, though I'm OK with earthquakes.
Yeah, I can also understand why people want to retire to Florida for the lack of cold and snow. But after living most of my life there, we couldn't be happier about having left. It was so much better, for a change, not to be sitting there last season doing the hurricane thing; tracking and wondering if one will or won't hit. Been there done that too many times. And I would not trade the 3 inches of snow and zero degree weather we have at this moment for the months of hot and humid we lived with in Central Florida. So we were glad to make room for someone else who wanted to be there

Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Hate articles like this. They don't fit everyone and assume all one retiree cares about is to have exactly the same things every other retiree does...and to pay the least for it. Personally I DESPISE Florida. Horrible weather, too many people, fairly predictable hurricanes, weird politics, businesses scrambling to take advantage of oldsters, ticky tacky "pseudo luxuries", the list goes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Florida, home to frequent hurricanes and flying cockroaches (aka palmetto bugs). I think I'll pass.
[quote=Spuggy;50721011] I would never want to end up in Florida �� Nothing about it appeals to me.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't know why people like Florida. I've been there. It's hot, flat, and in a hurricane zone. Why do so many people move there? I don't get it.
Yeah, ALL of this sums it up for me as well, I have been there a couple of times and as they say, 'nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there'.

Traffic, congestion, huge bugs, really threatening weather. No thanks, winter up north looks like a piece of cake compared to hurricanes!

BUT, everyone's got their own idea of paradise, mine isn't Florida.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:31 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Oh here we go again with the Florida-hate. I'm going to defend my new home state, the one that I had no interest in until family circumstances led me here to the Gulf coast, moving full-time four years ago. But I'm not going to go ad nauseum about hurricanes and palmetto bugs (which I've never seen here, BTW). Suffice it to say, it's now my happy place. It's not perfect but name me one state that is. Until then, sunshine, palm trees, turquoise water, white-sand beaches, and gorgeous nature preserves put a smile on my face .

Old 01-17-2018, 01:36 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Florida ranks at the top of the best states for retirement.

Trying to plan ahead for where you'll spend your golden years? WalletHub has done a good portion of the legwork for you, looking closely at three categories—affordability, health care, and overall quality of life—in all 50 states to see which ones offer the best retirement options.

10 Best, Worst States for Retirees: List
Interestingly, I like 4 of the top 10 (Colorado, Utah, Arizona & Idaho). Florida at #1 doesn't interest me, too hot and every so often you have to hide from a hurricane.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:09 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Florida is overrated.
I have an inheritance duplex in Florida, I will never live there. I will eventually sell and but a rental in our chosen retirement area/state, which is obviously NOT FLORIDA.

When my grandmother had her winter hone in Florida in the late 60s, and 70s,and if say even to the early 80s, florida was nice.

I was last there in 2002, and it is overrun with people, dirty and disgusting. Even Disney world was surrounded by a monster city, partly due to hoysibg the peopke who work there. Downtown Disney after about 5 o'clock had an element of people stepping in that was NOT comfortable. Since downtown Disney is free to go to, it allows riff raff that either can't afford DW in or who are just looming for tourist to harass and probably steal from. We left then for safety sake.

Even the duplex, a picturesque vacant part of town is now a not so good neighborhood as public housing was built on the picturesque lots across the street. If it didn't bring in revenue, was inherited paid for, it wouldn't be worth keeping.

No, we've picked another southern local, and will hopefully be able to travel to Hawai'i for the coldest months of Jan and Feb . For as long as,we are able anyway.

Nope no Florida for me/us as my OH wasn't impressed with Florida either and didn't care for it.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:16 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Florida has hurricanes, incredibly expensive house insurance, lots of humidity, alligators, snakes, congested roads, awful tasting tap water and sinkholes.

What's not to like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement