Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 01:36 PM

7,018 posts, read 6,220,260 times

Advertisements

Thanks. I love thunderstorms & I was amazed at the one monsoon I did see. It'll be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 02:35 PM

17,112 posts, read 56,720,019 times
Since you will be there through spring and into summer, you should be able to "adapt" so the extreme heat *should* not bother you as much as it might bother someone who flew in to the area from a cooler place.

Should work that way, hope it does for you.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:27 PM

7,018 posts, read 6,220,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Since you will be there through spring and into summer, you should be able to "adapt" so the extreme heat *should* not bother you as much as it might bother someone who flew in to the area from a cooler place.

Should work that way, hope it does for you.
That's what I'm hoping will happen. I visited in July to see if I could deal with the heat & it felt wonderful. Even if it does get uncomfortable, it can't possibly be like the humid days in areas where it feels like you're in a sauna. It didn't happen often in Minnesota, but often enough. And then there were the mosquitoes...

No mosquitoes & maybe staying inside with air conditioning for awhile. Hmmm, think I can deal with that.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:02 PM

5,647 posts, read 11,200,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

I think the apartments here must be well enough insulated that the weather doesn't affect them as much as it could. The cold doesn't penetrate although I am going to ask about caulking the bedroom window, where the cold does come in at night. In Minnesota we caulk around every opening to stop the cold. Right now I put towels on the ledge.
The cheap apartment I rent in mid-town Tucson is 50+ years old with uninsulated masonry construction & metal frame, single pane windows. In my area, the majority of old apartment buildings are like this. I have neighbors on the side walls, but the two outdoor facing walls get cold, and the concrete slab with tile floor is cold so I wear sandals inside.

In November after I moved in, the gas furnace was replaced, so at least I have a great heating unit now. I set the thermostat at 72F/22C and run it late evening and early morning. I leave it off at night and stay warm with a blanket or two while sleeping.

This place is OK for now, but not my long term landing place. I'm looking around at others options so after my lease expires later this year I'll be in a better place.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,860,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
When we lived in Tucson, we used to sit out under a covered porch, and have a glass of wine while watching the lightning and rain.
There's not much I miss about Phoenix, but this is one of them. August afternoons would be like a furnace then the storms would roll in about 4pm and cool everything off.

I also miss the dust storms. There's nothing like driving down I-10 into the face of a 5000' foot wall of dust. Just clear blue sky and then bam, your driving through a brown fog.
Attached Thumbnails
I like my life in Arizona-_86175853_dust.jpg  

Old 01-25-2018, 12:26 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,529,446 times
photos of smog in Phoenix (carcinogenic tiny particles in the air) (not the dust storms)

https://www.google.com/search?q=phot...iw=812&bih=621

Phoenix ranked among most polluted cities in the nation

from the article:

"city’s ozone levels put residents at risk for serious health problems, such as premature death, asthma attacks, and cardiovascular harm."

"Particle pollution levels can be lethal, lodging deep in the lungs and triggering asthma attacks, heart attacks or even strokes, the release said."

“Since we have such high levels of year-round particle pollution, our citizens face increased risk for lung cancer,” she said in the release."

(I know Sierra Vista is not near Phoenix - just responding to HTY483)

Last edited by matisse12; 01-25-2018 at 01:19 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 06:46 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,174,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks. I love thunderstorms & I was amazed at the one monsoon I did see. It'll be interesting.
One thing in passing; Tucson is known for this, perhaps other parts there, too. If you see one of these things, STAY INSIDE! The clouds just open up and dump. You can watch when that happens, and it looks, literally, like water pouring out of a bucket. It is heavy, and when it hits the ground, it can be quite destructive. Jus' sayin...

I like my life in Arizona-tucsonmicro.jpg

Old 01-25-2018, 04:54 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,053,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
One thing in passing; Tucson is known for this, perhaps other parts there, too. If you see one of these things, STAY INSIDE! The clouds just open up and dump. You can watch when that happens, and it looks, literally, like water pouring out of a bucket. It is heavy, and when it hits the ground, it can be quite destructive. Jus' sayin...

Attachment 194753

And then it ends about 15 minutes later.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:36 PM

67 posts, read 57,094 times
Default canine castle

I moved to east texas almost 9 months ago from Southern California and I must tell you I feel the same way.
The apathy (I call it) is overwhelming, I don't know if its lazy or no one cares here. What is it? It appears no one paints their houses, or no one cuts down trees except near the road to build a house. So many of the houses here are feet from the road.
I was in a dollar store and those in line were complaining about the electric bill being so high. I said go to the city council meetings and start complaining. They all became quiet. Just leave things be as they are. I was told when I arrived, we like it this way! I'm use to folks out running and riding their bikes, or walking but,
I fine the city doesn't bother to even build sidewalks. bike lanes? what's1 that? I met a guy from Long Beach and he said he came to Texas to work the oil fields, he would work hard like he did in California and one day his Supervisor had a little talk with him, he pointed to some chairs under a tree, he said to the man "Do you see them thar chairs over there?" The man said he did, he then said, "From here on out, you will work 4 hours a day and the rest of the day, your going to sit over there on those chairs!". You will no longer be embarrassing the rest of us with 'working 8 hours'. The man said he was shocked. So many young men late twenties early 30's don't work, there is plenty of jobs here, I see signs every day, Nope, they don't want to work 40 hrs, they'll take a day here and there and stay home, they love to just stay home. What in hell is with these people here. I notice the junk as well, and I had to laugh when you said drive thru junk before you reach nice homes. What has happened to Texas? well, east texas anyway. Lets hope all of texas isn't like this. I can't wait to get out of here. I thought it was just me.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:07 PM

17,264 posts, read 11,082,017 times
Please forgive me but I'm going to be blunt. Did you have a blind fold on or did someone put a gun to your head and make you move there? And why on earth would you move somewhere of your choosing and then criticize the local people for living lives the way they are accustomed to living?
I'm from So Cal as well and planning to move in retirement. The last thing I'm going to do is move somewhere and openly compare it to Southern California. It's not So Cal and never will be nor do I want it to be. People live their lives there like they want and how they are accustomed to. That's their norm.
What do you care if people don't trim their trees and don't have manicured properties? It's their homes, not yours. Did the town suddenly remove the sidewalks when you moved in? Why do you think you can move somewhere and change a town to fit what you want to see and how you want people to act? You moved there. They didn't move to your neighborhood in So Cal. Get over it and stop being a nag and stop thinking about how much better you are than everyone else, or you're going to find yourself miserable and without friends.

Last edited by marino760; 08-12-2018 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement