Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

http://www3.forbes.com/business/amer...edium=referral This article assumes we will all need full time in home care or assisted living.

Yes, so how much are you all paying for in home care and assisted living? One of the major considerations in this list.

Seems my healthy BIL in AZ is spending $10k per year less than healthy me in CA for in home care and assisted living. Who would have thought!

Last edited by Mr5150; 01-17-2018 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
If DH & I had paid any attention to lists like that, we wouldn't have had the joy of living this past year in our dream home in our dream location (NW Arkansas) with nary a twinge of regret.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
America’s Best And Worst States To Grow Old | Forbes This article assumes we will all need full time in home care or assisted living.

Yes, so how much are you all paying for in home care and assisted living? One of the major considerations in this list.

Seems my healthy BIL in AZ is spending $10k per year less than healthy me in CA for in home care and assisted living. Who would have thought!
Well, what are all of his other costs? Property taxes? Sales? Income?

Then, how about the cost of electricity and gas? What's it cost to cool the unit? How much are groceries vs. CA?

There are way too many other factors to consider, for me to just buy any claim that it's so much cheaper to live somewhere else - based on one budget item.

Now, if you were to look at every single line item on your budget, and you discover that you get exactly the same amenities and level of care, buy the same groceries, are able to be as cool or as warm in your home, etc., etc., etc. - AND you can then prove to me actual savings of $10,000 - we may have something to discuss.

But, as I've said many times on CD - if you are getting decent amenities, then you are paying for them. It might not be property taxes or income taxes, but there will be a tax in there somewhere.

I know that when I lived inland, in TN, that other costs like produce and fresh fish and even wine were astronomical. Therefore, I had to stop drinking wine or eating fresh fish, or eating as much fresh produce.

Was I able to survive on the same amount of money? Well, you always find a way. But, I missed fresh fish and wine and fresh produce.

So, a person needs to really look at all of the real data regarding reproducing the same quality of life somewhere else, and whether or not they will really save any money.

And, whether or not you really want to live somewhere that's so hot or cold or humid that you can't leave your home without suffering.

I'm someone who has lived in WA and TN, Mexico and Canada, and I don't want to ever leave CA again. But, everyone's different.

For instance, just check the daily weather anywhere you are thinking of moving - every day. For grins, I check the weather most days, for everywhere I've ever lived. In Nashville, for instance, it's around 17 degrees for highs, lows maybe around 10 degrees or lower. In Seattle and OR, it's raining pretty much every day.

So, if your in home care is affordable, will that be enough? Not for me. But, your mileage may vary. Heck, it's been really cloudy lately in San Jose, and I'm hating it - even though it's in the 60's during the day and 40's at night. I have learned from experience, that's the worst I ever want to deal with again.

Just really do your homework on the entire budget before you believe any claims out there, is my point. Because I found that it's not really cheaper in most places. And if it is - well, you get what you pay for.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:18 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, what are all of his other costs? Property taxes? Sales? Income?

Then, how about the cost of electricity and gas? What's it cost to cool the unit? How much are groceries vs. CA?

There are way too many other factors to consider, for me to just buy any claim that it's so much cheaper to live somewhere else - based on one budget item.

Now, if you were to look at every single line item on your budget, and you discover that you get exactly the same amenities and level of care, buy the same groceries, are able to be as cool or as warm in your home, etc., etc., etc. - AND you can then prove to me actual savings of $10,000 - we may have something to discuss.

But, as I've said many times on CD - if you are getting decent amenities, then you are paying for them. It might not be property taxes or income taxes, but there will be a tax in there somewhere.

I know that when I lived inland, in TN, that other costs like produce and fresh fish and even wine were astronomical. Therefore, I had to stop drinking wine or eating fresh fish, or eating as much fresh produce.

Was I able to survive on the same amount of money? Well, you always find a way. But, I missed fresh fish and wine and fresh produce.

So, a person needs to really look at all of the real data regarding reproducing the same quality of life somewhere else, and whether or not they will really save any money.

And, whether or not you really want to live somewhere that's so hot that you can't leave your home without suffering in the heat, cold, humidity, etc.

I'm someone who has lived in WA and TN, Mexico and Canada, and I don't want to ever leave CA again. But, everyone's different.

Just really do your homework on the entire budget before you believe any claims out there, is my point. Because I found that it's not really cheaper in most places. And if it is - well, you get what you pay for.
the 10k difference I cited was purely for in home care and assisted living. Something we may never need. Yet this was a major consideration in the article. You are right tho about the article ignored all of the other cost factors. Thus the article is really stupid.

And as you know, living where it is cheap is not always the best decision.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:21 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Forbes has become rather famous for putting out lists regarding retirement that most people find hilarious.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:11 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I always want to know the age and location of the people writing these articles.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:24 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,921,245 times
You can refer to MY previous list

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...andomly+chosen

That list is out of date, however. Maybe it's time to warm up the random number generator for a 2018 list.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:04 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Well, over the years, millions have voted with their feet and retired to Florida.
It's not going to be my choice, but clearly it's a very popular one.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
If I were to be paying attention to all these lists I wouldn’t be using my CD status.

Let’s face it, while they do give information these lists are primarily click-bait to get people to look at their advertising.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
So the article posted by the OP http://www3.forbes.com/business/amer...edium=referral is written from the angle of older persons who might need an assisted living dwelling or home care, and which states are supposedly higher and lower cost for those two things.

It's not a list that is based on a prescription for enjoyment during old age and retirement - but it seems to fit somewhat (even as a novelty) in other Retirement Forum threads on Long Term Care policy attainment and other threads discussing long term care as needed by certain older persons - where, how, when, and cost.

I agree it's not an important consideration in determining where to live for many! Also, the figures can be off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement