Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 07:57 AM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times

Advertisements

just found this site. may be some useful stuff here. I hope.

https://www.zillow.com/blog/buying-h...bility-224419/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 10:03 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
would moving out of that complex and into another local one be an option?

Old 01-21-2018, 11:04 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
would moving out of that complex and into another local one be an option?

Yes, there are other senior apartments around. Some are of the very high rent variety, others are for low income, like me. And of course waiting lists, which can have a wait time in years, not months. It's a bit tricky, I think.

I did find a site online that when you indicate what type of housing you are looking for and indicate what state(s) you are considering, they will send an email to you alerting when an apartment is coming up for availability.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:55 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Sorry I'm late to this thread and the OP has probably moved on. But I've already made my plan and it does not including calling a moving company to move 300 miles, that would be costly.

My plan is to downsize and store what we can't move initially. Then I'll enlist family and friends to help load the UHaul. At the other end I had already worked with the local college to line up a handful of college kids who will gladly unload a truck for $10/hour or so.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:51 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Sorry I'm late to this thread and the OP has probably moved on. But I've already made my plan and it does not including calling a moving company to move 300 miles, that would be costly.

My plan is to downsize and store what we can't move initially. Then I'll enlist family and friends to help load the UHaul. At the other end I had already worked with the local college to line up a handful of college kids who will gladly unload a truck for $10/hour or so.
What a splendid solution.

For me, since I moved 1700+ miles it was different. I hired movers because I wanted to keep my furniture.

I'm glad I did because, as a person with back problems, it worked for me. The one thing I do regret is that some friends offered to drive a uhaul to move me & I wish I'd taken them up on it. I thought, at the time, that I would be imposing on them. (It's a Minnesota bred in thing; don't impose on anyone.)

Upon reflection I realize that it would have cost me about the same, they could have seen my new space & they would have had a paid for vacation. And my stuff would have arrived with me.

One of those hindsight moments.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:56 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I do not mean to insult anyone, but the haves and the have nots think a lot differently;
the "nots" seem to have neat ideas on how to make things work. Probably not explaining this very well.
You go where your income (whatever it is) can afford the housing you need.
If lucky, you also get the housing you want.
If real lucky... it's all in a location that you like just as much.

It's objectively tougher to do the opposite by picking a location
and then attempting to massage or shoehorn your income to manage housing costs there.

hth

Old 01-21-2018, 06:38 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You go where your income (whatever it is) can afford the housing you need.

and then attempting to massage or shoehorn your income to manage housing costs there.

hth
This is so very true. NYgal has some time, as she's stated, & the luxury of looking/researching for areas which would suit her demographically & economically.

I'm glad that when I was choosing a place to move, so many CD folks helped to steer me in the right direction. It's still a tough call whether to keep & ship your belongings or to get rid of them & start from scratch.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
When something HAS to go with ... I often use Uship.com

for moves... https://www.uship.com/ship/moves

They have been great for bringing my bulldozers and other hard to move items. (2500+ miles)
I will downsize Later... (after the estate auction.. Spouse will need to use the bulldozer to 'backfill' my grave)

Old 01-22-2018, 06:58 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
[quote=MrRational;50774660]You go where your income (whatever it is) can afford the housing you need.

hth[/quote]

Excellent post, thank you. It resignated with me. And yes, it helps.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Be ruthless on deciding what you will take. Less stuff to move = less cost to move it. (I wish I followed this advice myself, as I still have unpacked boxes containing things I moved but have never used 7 years later).
This can't be said enough times. I've had two big moves in the last 20 years, and each time, I realized I didn't get rid of enough stuff.

I've been where I am now for over two years, and although I've already gotten rid of countless books, and even though I no longer buy books—yay, Kindle through my public library!—I want to get rid of even more of the ones I've kept (a semi-large set of Anna Quindlen hardcovers, mostly autographed, stares me in the eye every time I glance in that direction). I have kept and moved two sets of dishes. I simply no longer entertain. Even though I don't have plans to move again at this time, I feel overstuffed again. I still have too much stuff.

Anyway, I sent you a DM. Good luck to you and your kitties. Can't believe someone said to just abandon them, but some people get their jollies posting stuff for shock value.

Last edited by jay5835; 01-22-2018 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement