Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:22 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

...to grow more and more dissatisfied with your job and working? I can't decide if it's me, my job, or an actual retirement phenomenon, but I have just a few months left and can barely make myself go in now.

Your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
It got harder the last couple of months for my husband and he didn't hate his job but it was hard to start any major research , so he puttered around in the lab just counting down the days.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:33 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Are you going ROAD? As we called it in the military - Retired on Active Duty - lol.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:11 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I do think it's reasonable to accept the fact of work (and/or be glad to be employed) in the huge part of life where work is a financial necessity. I think it can be counterproductive to be thinking about not working when you have years of it to go. But when the end is clearly in sight... yes, I found it harder to to in since I put in my papers and had three months to go. I'd enjoy my 3am conversations and international coworkers on a quiet night and then, the 4am near-death experience of feeling very chilled and fighting to stay awake and not wanting to do anything and not wanting to do this anymore.

I think once you know there's an option, it's hard to keep going on as if nothing had changed! I did start counting at 100 total days, but I don't think that's too unreasonable. But on days off, it felt like getting high or something just to be able to sleep at night and as much as I wanted.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:28 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Do they know you are retiring?

Do you have things you have to finish up? We used to have to out-process, lots of appointments - packing and moving for example.

Medical things to wrap-up.

Is there some kind of retirement goals you have to meet before your last day? concentrate on that?

Old 01-23-2018, 12:41 PM

554 posts, read 745,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Are you going ROAD? As we called it in the military - Retired on Active Duty - lol.
... HA! Good one! ...

On my last 'temp' job, where I was employed for 7.5 years, we were calling it "RiP" - "Retired-in-Place" ...
The last 2 weeks I worked there, I was pretty-much just making sure there would be some continuity for the little things the job had degenerated to ...

OH - And on days when I wasn't really needed onsite, I could log on and do not-very-much from home, too ... So, I did!

Old 01-23-2018, 12:56 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
If possible, if I'm not needed for a specific job, I plan to spend my last four shifts roaming around talking to people. Unfortunately, I'm likely to be needed to do the job right up to the last night.

I met my replacement. She said, "I'm the new Ilene," and I suggested she might want to see what people mean by that! When I was new, people asked "Are you the new Marcy?" as someone named March had left that slot that I was in. Turned out old March slept with a lot of the coworkers and had quite a reputation!

Now, the old Ilene is famous for being direct, showing people what corners to cut and which ones not to cut, referring to unnecessary details as "stupid" when orienting someone and swearing like a drunken sailor behind closed doors. So the new Kim might want to be just that, "new Kim." She didn't look like she might have a trash mouth like me, but people can learn, right?

Old 01-23-2018, 01:00 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Do they know you are retiring?

Do you have things you have to finish up? We used to have to out-process, lots of appointments - packing and moving for example.

Medical things to wrap-up.

Is there some kind of retirement goals you have to meet before your last day? concentrate on that?
It's general knowledge; we're pretty upfront about that here.

Not really; others will take up the slack (our workload has diminished in recent years).

I have sick days to use or lose, so I need to do that.

Not really not that emotionally invested in my job, nor do I derive much sense of meaning from it.

Didn't "hate" it, but had to be here to earn a paycheck and retire; now I don't or not much longer.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:46 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Watching the retirement date too closely has the same effect as watching the finish line too soon while one is running. One invariably 'runs out of gas' because their mind shifts to 'being at the finish line' from running the necessary race to get there.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:51 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
My "last few months" actually extended to a year and a half. That is how long it took to downsize, cleanup the house, get it on the market and get the house sold. I thought it would be tough as a lame duck. I was also keeping my retirement quiet so I did not need to make a commitment or to be pushed into a corner. Regardless the last year or so was not too bad. I did spend a great deal of time on the internet planning my retirement, which included taking off in an RV for full time RV living. Work went better than expected. I really did not care so I was not upset by the usual management foolishness. I spent a lot of time nodding my head up and down regarding the latest insanity. My bosses liked that and most of the crazy ideas were never implemented anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement