Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:07 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I busted out laughing at my desk from the description. ......

I missed the funny part. This seems incredibly sad to the point of being pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 10:15 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
What "elderly woman" are you speaking of? The 56 year old? LOL. 56 is not old. Not by a longshot.

I changed jobs at 58. When that didn't work out, I did contract work for a year and a half...and I got a couple of job offers from that (but I didn't want a permanent job...I was moving).

She's going to spend her life taking care of others....and then what? The boy will grow up and forget her name. I can't count the times I've seen that happen. And she won't believe it, if you tell her. Nonetheless, it will likely happen. She may be in a nursing home one day, and that boy will never even go to see her.

Grandma will be deceased. So your aunt will be left alone, having sacrificed for others, with no one to help HER, if she needs it. I've seen this before.

If I were grandma, I'd try to figure out what I want for the rest of my life, and decide what to do accordingly. If she doesn't want to leave, she'll never be happy leaving. In that case, I'd get a job locally. Whatever I could get, for as much $$ as possible.

Does she get health ins. from her company? That's the biggest problem. Health ins. on the individual market is VERY expensive.

But if it were me...I would move. But I'm the sort who CAN move on my own somewhere. She is not, apparently.

The reality is, if a person needs a good paying job and job opportunities, then a person has to move to where the jobs are, if the local economy isn't good enough.

A word of warning to you. Don't take on someone else's problems. Life will throw you enough curves of your own to handle. You don't have the power to make decisions for your aunt, anyway. Only SHE can decide her way forward. Only SHE knows what will make her happy. You trying to manage her, or anyone else's, life may lead to hard feelings between you, as she fails to take your advice or do what you think is the logical thing.

So...I would move. (but that's me)
If I couldn't handle moving, I would get a job locally. Some $ is better than no money.

When you're older, you CAN get a new job if you have a good work history, some good skills or vocation, and you LOOK and ARE healthy. And if you've kept up with technology.

The older people who can't get jobs seem to me to look to be in bad health (obese, pale, walk slowly) and/or don't have a good work history and/or don't have definite skills or a definite vocation. If they're competing with the general public for a min. wage job that anyone could do, an older person will have trouble getting the job. Or if the job involves physicality, an older person is at a disadvantage (standing all day, moving boxes in inventory, etc.).

Old 01-24-2018, 10:37 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
She should have financially planned to be completely retired in her 50s. It's hard to get a decent job at that age.
I know that this happens but... waddaya think... just what percent of the population do you imagine is completely retired ~55y.o.? Ballpark.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Too old to be hired. Too young to retire. What do you in your 50s?

You get creative and 're-invent' yourself. Millions do it (very successfully).

OP's relative has many options. I cannot believe how fixated OP is on the 'downside' of Kingsport, TN and Tri-Cities. It is not hard to find thousands of very well off, intelligent, engaged, successful professions, self employed, and retirees in that region. I have more than 10 scientists / engineers in my email address book well employed and loving Kingsport and raising their families there INTENTIONALLY! One of my previous interns took a job last yr in Kingsport and loves the area and people. It will remain on my radar as an option for a retirement destination.

YMMV (apparently) but this may also lead to the perceived 'disaster' region () which having been there 2 - 3x / yr for past 15 yrs has not become apparent to me. I spend a lot of time with locals (rural dwellers) so still engaged / exposed to the 'hill folks'. I don't find it significantly different than most semi rural places in USA. Some good, some bad... Plenty of opportunities if you DIG for them.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-24-2018 at 11:30 AM..

Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
Aunt should continue working until she is laid off and receives her severance. Then she should get another job ($10 hour or whatever is available). Full time is best but pt if that’s all that’s available. Makes NO SENSE to leave her job now and loose her severance, for a $10/hr job.

The odds are that Grandma should not return home after the knee replacement. If she is unable to live independently now without help from family members, the help required will only increase after the knee replacement. Aunt should NOT push to have grandma return home after the knee replacement to be cared for by her (but I suspect this is what aunt will do, although it is not in aunt or grandma’s best interest).

Old 01-24-2018, 11:40 AM

199 posts, read 165,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I know that this happens but... waddaya think... just what percent of the population do you imagine is completely retired ~55y.o.? Ballpark.
Just about anyone, if they start planning in their 20s, should be able to retire in their 50s. It takes discipline not to overspend, which most people don't have. Most people are stupid with their money.

Last edited by whateverblahblah; 01-24-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 01-24-2018, 11:56 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I missed the funny part. This seems incredibly sad to the point of being pathetic.

My thoughts exactly. I understand trying to obtain useful information on the matter, but this seems more like insensitive gossip about his family.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:36 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Just about anyone, if they start planning in their 20s, should be able to retire in their 50s. It takes discipline not to overspend, which most people don't have. Most people are stupid with their money.
I know the how of it. What I am asking you is how many you think actually do it? But... I think I have my answer. However, there is this: when >85% of the test takers fail an exam, the good professor(s) either revise the exam or else grades the class on a curve. They do not publish an op ed denigrating the intelligence of college students in general.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I know the how of it. What I am asking you is how many you think actually do it? ...l.
Many do it, especially military, and GOV
I for one... (took my retirement pre age 50) (Retirement = not needing to ever go back to employment...)

Too old to be hired. Too young to retire. What do you in your 50s?
I went back to college, cuz I had missed a large part of that being a caregiver for the previous 32 yrs...

Then... I found LOTS to do, Volunteering in non-profit businesses and for Economic Development of disadvantaged rural communities! (good idea for your Aunt, or 'whoever')

Old 01-24-2018, 01:16 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
She's supposed to get a year's severance
She does know that they will take about 40% of that right off the top for taxes, right? So she won't get near close to a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement