Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 08:37 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I had plenty of trauma when I was a kid (father was a violent drunk..... tried to kill Mom when he got home ... yes every time)...... Even after all these years the memories have not disappeared.

Professionals have told me it would be good to write it all down, what happened, how I felt, etc.

I've never wanted or been able to write it down. But can't forget it, either.
Somewhat the same experience. No professionals, just the determination that it would stop with me. I would not carry on what I witnessed, I would never, under any circumstance, raise my hand to a woman, and will / have stand in the way of any man who did.....be a man, beat on me . Funny thing, after the divorce, they were like the best of friends and were always there when the other needed them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 10:01 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
It is sad that life's "Interesting and Memorable Experiences" all seem to be about the worst of human behavior and misery. We have had our share of family disasters and poor behavior. I do not dwell on them except as learning situations.

I have a lot of respect for those who work in social services. My daughter and SIL both work in child protective services. That is not something I could ever do.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:25 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
It is sad that life's "Interesting and Memorable Experiences" all seem to be about the worst of human behavior and misery. We have had our share of family disasters and poor behavior. I do not dwell on them except as learning situations.

I have a lot of respect for those who work in social services. My daughter and SIL both work in child protective services. That is not something I could ever do.
I worked in CPS for three months. It was horrible! I was so thankful when they transferred me to Adult Services.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:51 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
A good....or should I say "Great" Experience. The day of our Wedding, we laugh at the bloopers, and smile across the table at each other as days go on. Also, our trip to Cape Cod, hanging out on the beach without a care.....we decided to just enjoy our trip and leave everything behind......Cruise coming up, and intend on doing the same again.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:01 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
I'm a state auditor and until recently, I conducted field audits of Medicaid funded facilities throughout the state. A short while after my father passed away, I audited a nursing home, and there was a patient who intently stared at me every time I saw him. He had a striking resemblance to my dad. Although I'm not religious or spiritual, that day I couldn't help but to think that was my dad reaching out to me. I still remember the patient's face clearly in my mind.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:25 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
It wasn't my last job but I had the experience of working in the Washington DC area for 14 years, learning a lot about how the government process really worked. During that time, I worked much of it in the Pentagon, and had the opportunity to work on projects involving multiple agencies, coordinated through the Office of Management and Budget.

I won't turn this into a political discussion, but I did get a very extended and good close up look at "the swamp". It certainly was a learning experience that changed my points of view on many things.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:44 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Don't want to give anyone here nightmares, so I won't go into my "memorable experiences" in 35 years in law enforcement. I still, from time to time, wake up screaming and soaked with sweat with nightmares.

There were some funny moments I still think about and laugh.

I totally understand. Those who worked on the street in LE, have some horrific things in their brains along with some hilarious stuff you can't tell 'normal' people. We have to thank Wambaugh for being the first to bring this to the general public's attention.

People who have never experienced LE, fatals, war, etc, I do not think, can totally comprehend.

You aren't alone.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I remember sitting on my 1979 Chevrolet Impala patrol car with only 196,000 miles on it and a non working heater one February night at 3am and seeing a naked man, wearing nothing but a cape, running down Main Street. I muttered "huh" and went back to my report I was writing.

Professional help? Here? Nope.
HAHAH! I have my 'naked man' story but it happened in broad daylight, next to an interstate, on a main street, with everyone watching. I don't want to think about it.

Yup, no counseling. We wouldn't have gone anyway. Everyone would have made fun of us. Same with reporting sexual harassment. We managed things quite well ourselves.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:48 AM

Here is a funny, true story - rough draft.

A true funny story for you, that will be in my next book -

Stairway cpr My brother John was a firefighter in NY and tells this story.
One night they get a call for a raging fire in an old, five storey old hotel that is now a flop house. They pull up and the place is burning. It’s a mess. So John and his partner rush in, up to the top floor, clearing as they go. They find a guy all passed out in the dense smoke. They, being EMT’s check him and the dude is dead; no pulse, nothing.

John says, I’m not carrying this drunk down five flights of stars. The place is collapsing, very dangerous. His partners, “ grab him by the ankles and let’s run like hell” So they do just that, thump, thump, thump, down the stairs, turn, down the stairs.

They get the guy out and carry him over to the ambulance, telling the crew, ‘this one’s a gonner”. The ambulance crew checks the drunk from the flp house and he’s breathing . He’s alive He’s alive.

John tells me “I swear, that dude was dead”.

I say, “John, he WAS dead. Had you carried him down those stairs, he would still be dead but what happened is by bouncing him down five flights of stairs, you actually were doing chest compressions. You brought him back to life.”

Well, obviously John and his partner couldn’t admit they bounced the dude down five flights of stairs because they didn’t feel like carrying him out. So, there’s this picture in the newspaper of John and his partner getting this ‘save a life’ award and they are firefighter hereos.

I still picture the dude in the hospital with a bad headache, totally unaware thinking “ I gotta quit drinking. That was some Bad WINE!"

Old 01-26-2018, 12:04 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
I decided after my earlier jobs in my 20's to just go & do something that I thought would enjoy working at & not pay much attention to money issues (yes, I was single). I basically just got by financially till middle age & bounced around place to place, lived in a MHP & rentals, bought my first piece of new furniture at 46 yo. But I enjoyed my work for most of that time.

One time on a job in the '80's, I met a old writer/producer just hanging on in a rental up in the Hollywood Hills writing scripts that hadn't been filmed for the last 20 years, who claimed he was secretly married to Marilyn Monroe for a very short time! All the principals he alluded to in his tale were dead but him... He made a bit of money writing gossipy books & articles, mostly about her at that point. He took us on a quick tour that included her crypt in Hollywood, which had a fresh rose on it (Joe DiMaggio?) & to the cul de sac in Brentwood where behind a wall & locked high gate was her last home. He talked a bit by the gate, we kept the engine running since we figured police/security would roust us in minutes.

Then the gate opened & a lady came over to ask what we were doing & he gave his spiel. She was the housekeeper & had just been let go by the owner, so she was indifferent about us. I asked if we could come in & next thing we were in Marilyn's bedroom! My friend was going nuts describing how it hadn't changed much (fyi, surprisingly small & dark), etc...

It was pretty memorable alright, how much of his story was true doesn't matter to me really at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement