Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 02:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times

Advertisements

My living space is barely big enough for me and the cat. I have lived by myself for so long I wouldn’t want to share if I had the room anyway. A neighbor and I check up on each other nearly every day. It’s a good idea for those who can make it work but it’s not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 02:52 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,396 times
No. No.

My biggest worry is having to share a room with someone in the nursing home. Maybe, if that ever happens, I’ll be demented (more demented) and the only one who will care will be the roommate. I know that’s selfish, but I really like living alone.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:48 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
No. No.

My biggest worry is having to share a room with someone in the nursing home. Maybe, if that ever happens, I’ll be demented (more demented) and the only one who will care will be the roommate. I know that’s selfish, but I really like living alone.
Same here. I just hope I can afford my own little studio if I ever go into assisted living. I don't share a space very well at all. And NEVER a bathroom!

Old 01-31-2018, 05:36 PM

166 posts, read 116,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I would rather live in a studio apt. by myself than have roommates in a larger house. I just value my privacy too much. I feel safe as long as I have a phone nearby.

The separate apts., guest houses, and casitas sound like a good compromise.
That is understandable but you really should have someone around for safety's sake. If you passed out due to heart attack, someone might not find you for days.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:39 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,950,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I spend plenty of time examining failures of communities, so learn a bit more every day.

couple more examples for those who might be interested; (larger senior cooperative facilities)
7500 York – Excellence in Senior Cooperative Housing
https://becketwood.com/

I also examined this village in TN +/-
Uplands Village
These are just senior communities. They are not house-sharing situations.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
My mother in law and father in law have a younger man who lives in a home on their property and keeps it up for them (they have sixteen acres in Asheville, NC) so my FIL doesn't have to mow.

He gets a great break on his rent.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:28 PM

588 posts, read 462,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My mother in law and father in law have a younger man who lives in a home on their property and keeps it up for them (they have sixteen acres in Asheville, NC) so my FIL doesn't have to mow.

He gets a great break on his rent.
If I can be assured that the roommate will not eat my food, wear my clothes, not dump said clothes into my washing hamper, take on half of the cleaning, pick up after their animal whether it be human or not,not be ill hungover or just a pain in the buttcuss ALOT, and where I am the primary care giver, and does not sit in the major open living area for days on end with reruns of the Days of Our Lives forever....I will consider it.

That being said, a very small studio I would rather have. It may come to that but JEEZ been there done that with roommates, husbands, family, etc.

Nope. Yes....let me just end it now.

As in the last boyfriend said to me as he was crawling into my second bedroom bed, curling up into the down comforter, as I was cleaning the dining table and the last of the gourmet meal (with china) from the table....

He stated : I am emotionally and physically EXHAUSTED...can you not let me be! You just can't understand NO!

Needless to say he has gone on to find a place where they always tell him yes, I wish him fond regards and lots of McDonalds Happy Meals.

Gotta love em.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:16 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
I can only imagine how horrible this would be. I just could not do this. I'd move into a van and live there if I couldn't afford my mortgage.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:31 PM

308 posts, read 211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Same here. I just hope I can afford my own little studio if I ever go into assisted living. I don't share a space very well at all. And NEVER a bathroom!
One whiff of my caulliflower-induced flatulence will guarantee that i will never have to share living space with anybody...unless they are REALLY in Gods's waiting room ready to be next to meet him.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
The problem with having a roommate is ending the relationship when necessary. Imagine spending weeks trying to evict someone who is currently living with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement