Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 10:53 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I believe the most successful pairing from the program was an old man with a young man in his 20s.
Interesting you mention this. This is a recent article about pairing up seniors with young people, it seems to work very well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/r...den-years.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 11:02 PM

166 posts, read 116,736 times
If I were to summarize this thread, this can be very lucrative but comes with many other perks such as friendship, support, assistance (with animals and such) yet the key is to keep everyone in their own living quarters. Share a house yes, but separate entrances, bathrooms, put in a mini-kitchen if needed, etc..Sharing laundry facilities & wifi seems to be fine.

Eventually, I think we will go this route.

We need to find a cheap fixer upper to purchase

Old 02-01-2018, 12:51 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
A friend had a house with a guest cottage in back. When she retired she moved into the guest cottage, rented out the house, and spent most of her time traveling for several years.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:57 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyLongLeg View Post
That is understandable but you really should have someone around for safety's sake. If you passed out due to heart attack, someone might not find you for days.
That's what you have Life Alert or another medical monitoring system for. This actual scenario just happened to my sister: her little alert necklace monitor went off and the company notified her closest contacts as well as the EMTs. When they got to her house in about 15 minutes, she was already deceased on the floor. As long as I'm found that quickly and my animals are taken care of, I'm good with that.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:11 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
Interesting you mention this. This is a recent article about pairing up seniors with young people, it seems to work very well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/r...den-years.html

I did exactly that in 1982-83. I rented a room from an 85 year old man and had the run of the house. My rent was $100 per month and I had a few tasks that I was responsible for (< two hours per week).

It was great for me as I did not have a lot of money and it kept his family from sending him off to assisted care which he could not really afford.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
That's what you have Life Alert or another medical monitoring system for. This actual scenario just happened to my sister: her little alert necklace monitor went off and the company notified her closest contacts as well as the EMTs. When they got to her house in about 15 minutes, she was already deceased on the floor. As long as I'm found that quickly and my animals are taken care of, I'm good with that.
Great idea!! I guess any age can sign up for that

Old 02-01-2018, 09:24 AM

588 posts, read 462,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
If I can be assured that the roommate will not eat my food, wear my clothes, not dump said clothes into my washing hamper, take on half of the cleaning, pick up after their animal whether it be human or not,not be ill hungover or just a pain in the buttcuss ALOT, and where I am the primary care giver, and does not sit in the major open living area for days on end with reruns of the Days of Our Lives forever....I will consider it.

That being said, a very small studio I would rather have. It may come to that but JEEZ been there done that with roommates, husbands, family, etc.

Nope. Yes....let me just end it now.

As in the last boyfriend said to me as he was crawling into my second bedroom bed, curling up into the down comforter, as I was cleaning the dining table and the last of the gourmet meal (with china) from the table....

He stated : I am emotionally and physically EXHAUSTED...can you not let me be! You just can't understand NO!

Needless to say he has gone on to find a place where they always tell him yes, I wish him fond regards and lots of McDonalds Happy Meals.

Gotta love em.
Oh yea, the watershed moment

When they drink all of my friggin booze I had purchased for a Sunday dinner and for which Sunday is dry in this state.

I have had a few narcissists in my life....Don't ya think!

Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
I'm not retiring for another 10-12 years, but depending on finances I could see a house sharing situation. Separate studio rental unit would be best, but I don't know if I'd be able to find something like that in my price range. Can't say having a roommate would be the easiest thing to do, but having money coming in to defray housing expenses could be a good motivator to step outside my comfort zone.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Oh yea, the watershed moment

When they drink all of my friggin booze I had purchased for a Sunday dinner and for which Sunday is dry in this state.

I have had a few narcissists in my life....Don't ya think!
What State do you live in? I wish they'd do that here in California except make the entire weekend, a dry weekend!

Old 02-01-2018, 10:45 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Yep. I could drop dead tomorrow and I wouldn’t care as long as my dogs get taken care of.

It’s really the only downside to living alone, imo - worrying about what happens if I have to go into the hospital, jail :-), or any other unexpected place and cannot care for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement