Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 12:39 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,873,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am not sorry. As I said, it was not safe and I did not want an unknowing person to use it. We called all kinds of places to take the "stuff" from my mother's. As the OP said, no one wants it. My friend is trying to get rid of a nice old piano--amazingly, no one wants it. No charities, no habitat for humanity. Pretty shocking.
A friend ran into the same issue with trying to get rid of a piano. She finally put it "free" on Next Door and a family came and got it for their daughter, who was previously having to go to their church to practice. The mother sent my friend a video of the daughter playing the piano. it was sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 06:03 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,393,222 times
When my Mom passed the 4 of us were issued different color stickers to apply to any items we wanted. One sticker was applied to my folks bedroom set by my sister. Her son needed furniture. Everything else went to Goodwill. Rest In Peace Mom and all her "stuff", loved you but didn't need the Instamatic camera.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,181,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
The thrift shops are full of sets of very nice china and silverware.
Not in the area I live. There aren't a lot of thrift stores. I don't want china either, but like the hard plastic type stuff. Sure, it breaks, but not into a thousand little pieces if you drop it. I don't really have the space to store china or breakables which I wouldn't use. People in this area tend to keep it until its out of uses.

The thing I do pay a lot of attention to are knives. After slicing myself accidently I learned that if used they need to be sharp or they just might not anchor and slip.... like the one I was slicing a potato, between thumb and first finger down to the bone. The really odd thing with that was even when I'd got it to the ER, and it was bleeding less, wrapped in a towel, not only did it not hurt, but it just felt numb.

I've got a few really pretty things, but there really isn't room for them and they don't get used, so I'd rather get stuff that are basically functional over things which take up space and look good. I want the hard plastic plates, melmack I think, since if it breaks the worse it does is in half. I got a metal coffee caraff too, as the glass ones had gotten sooooo thin,and two broken glass ones... I'm going for functional now.

It's very nice and restful to get to where you don't feel the need to be showie and have things you don't ever move take up space. And no thin easily breakable glass.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:00 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,889,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Not in the area I live. There aren't a lot of thrift stores. I don't want china either, but like the hard plastic type stuff. Sure, it breaks, but not into a thousand little pieces if you drop it. I don't really have the space to store china or breakables which I wouldn't use. People in this area tend to keep it until its out of uses.

I've got a few really pretty things, but there really isn't room for them and they don't get used, so I'd rather get stuff that are basically functional over things which take up space and look good. I want the hard plastic plates, melmack I think, since if it breaks the worse it does is in half. I got a metal coffee caraff too, as the glass ones had gotten sooooo thin,and two broken glass ones... I'm going for functional now.

It's very nice and restful to get to where you don't feel the need to be showie and have things you don't ever move take up space. And no thin easily breakable glass.
If you don't have thrift stores like Salvation Army or Goodwill or local charity stores , look for antique shops or an antique mall.

That plastic stuff was called "BoontonWare" We had that in the 50s, in yellow. Was made from Melmac or Melamine.

You should use the pretty things you have. What are you saving them for? If they break, at least you got to use them instead of thinking they were useless dust collectors.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:19 PM

26,642 posts, read 28,483,062 times
I can't figure out why people don't want pianos anymore. My friend had a nice piano and I put it on CL for her. Not a peep. Finally she gave it to her cleaning lady. A music school did inquire about it but decided they didn't have room for it after all.

I think one of the problems could have been the cost of moving a piano but people used to buy pianos all the time.

I've finally decided to ditch just about everything (not really). I'm getting rid of crystal goblets and most sterling silver pieces. I've even gotten rid of my mother's 1940s spatula and slotted spoon on ebay. Turned out they were a certain desirable brand so I didn't just donate them.

People want the stuff from the 1950s, the stuff I grew up with and now detest. I just hope some things from our era survive long enough to become desirable again. Some things were very well made and of quality design. Hope it doesn't all get thrown out!

Old 02-08-2018, 11:05 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,962,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I don't want china either, but like the hard plastic type stuff. Sure, it breaks, but not into a thousand little pieces if you drop it. I don't really have the space to store china or breakables which I wouldn't use. People in this area tend to keep it until its out of uses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That plastic stuff was called "BoontonWare" We had that in the 50s, in yellow. Was made from Melmac or Melamine.
Just so you know, I don't think any of that Melamine stuff is microwave safe.
Corelle is an option that would be microwave safe, it is made from tempered glass I believe.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:49 PM

7,985 posts, read 5,342,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't figure out why people don't want pianos anymore.
Keyboards have become more popular, easier to move, store and they have more options for the younger generation.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:27 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,446,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't figure out why people don't want pianos anymore. My friend had a nice piano and I put it on CL for her. Not a peep. Finally she gave it to her cleaning lady. A music school did inquire about it but decided they didn't have room for it after all.

I think one of the problems could have been the cost of moving a piano but people used to buy pianos all the time.

I've finally decided to ditch just about everything (not really). I'm getting rid of crystal goblets and most sterling silver pieces. I've even gotten rid of my mother's 1940s spatula and slotted spoon on ebay. Turned out they were a certain desirable brand so I didn't just donate them.

People want the stuff from the 1950s, the stuff I grew up with and now detest. I just hope some things from our era survive long enough to become desirable again. Some things were very well made and of quality design. Hope it doesn't all get thrown out!
Vintage 50's is very collectable when it comes to furnishings... very popular here is chrome and Formica kitchen tables... they go very fast... the kind like everyone had back then.

Came across a stash of 1950's Life Magazines... gave them to a friend who sold them on Ebay for about $10 each... she is retired and has a lot of fun with her Ebay stuff.

A lot of it has to have some element of fun in it... just like 1950's and 60's toys... especially when in like new condition...

Old 02-09-2018, 04:39 AM

26,642 posts, read 28,483,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Vintage 50's is very collectable when it comes to furnishings... very popular here is chrome and Formica kitchen tables... they go very fast... the kind like everyone had back then.

Came across a stash of 1950's Life Magazines... gave them to a friend who sold them on Ebay for about $10 each... she is retired and has a lot of fun with her Ebay stuff.

A lot of it has to have some element of fun in it... just like 1950's and 60's toys... especially when in like new condition...
Ironically, that's the very same era that most people our age got sick of and disposed of. The games from our era and later are worth money. The modern furniture, if well made, is worth money. Hayden Wakefield furniture is money.

But I can remember hating Victorian furniture, Victorian anything. They it got popular. All it took was time. Now its popularity has waned again. You know what really doesn't sell on ebay? Tablecloths. No one sets a table anymore and they don't want china and silver so why would they want nice white damask tablecloths to wash and iron? Just donated a gigantic bag of them to GW. You could sell a colorful '50s tablecloth though.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:48 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,446,019 times
Some of the vintage stuff I've seen can be found at Lake Tahoe cabins... it is where Grandma's stuff ended up as well as games and old appliances... at the time it was simply a way to furnish on the cheap.

Friends have a 1960's cabin that is like a time warp... Art Deco floor lamps, Chrome Kitchen Tables, Lots of Vintage Board Games and tons of vintage fishing gear...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-09-2018 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement