Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 12:59 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times

Advertisements

https://www.seattlefish.com/

An option to check out. Delivers to Montrose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 01:09 PM

Jim, This place sometimes has crawfish boils or can organize them or at least has BBQ

http://www.oakstelluride.com/
https://m.facebook.com/events/889485991113917/

Crawfish boils happen at Lost Cajun in Pagosa Springs and occasionally in certain Durango area restaurants.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-21-2018 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 01:20 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Jim, This place sometimes has crawfish boils https://m.facebook.com/events/889485991113917/

Crawfish boils happen at Lost Cajun in Pagosa Springs and occasionally in Durango area restaurants.
I'd like to go for Southern food and I'm not from the South (unless south Jersey counts).

Old 02-21-2018, 02:23 PM

Highway 3 Roadhouse Menu

If you get to Durango. Limited hours. Oysters are a pretty big draw.

Several places in Durango that compete for the BBQ / Southern food diner.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:09 PM

South Jersey might pass as southern if you sell it! I had a college friend from there who told me south NJ was different than further north. The Pine Barrens and such. Married a Carolina gal and moved to Oklahoma. Probably got his southern card, at least in some eyes.

Fwiw the Lost Cajun is in Glenwood Springs too, as this place Glenwood Springs, CO | Smoke Modern Barbeque

In general if you can't find something special in the restaurants nearby, it might be worth talking to chefs / caterers. If you are willing to pay for it.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-21-2018 at 03:18 PM..

Old 02-22-2018, 09:54 AM

Well, I bit the bullet and got a smartphone. Ironically, an hour before it arrived in the mail, I accidentally threw my flip phone away in a recycling pile of mess in my former car. (The car will be shipped to Nigeria to a former coworker's friends, and is on its way as I type. It is a relief to have that settled and I am not overly attached to my old car).

I only have the smartphone ready for calls from Colorado, since that is the number I gave the builder, etc., when I visited there. I will be getting ready to text because I think I can no longer opt out, especially when I get rid of my landline when I move to Colorado. I don't like the tiny keys for texting and don't see myself getting into it except for "I'm running ten minutes late" or some such. I don't plan to use it for much at home since I have the laptop.

The tech guy at Subaru said to bring the phone in and he'd walk me through anything I might want with the phone in the car (mainly GPS or emergency calls).

Old 02-22-2018, 02:17 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Oddly enough when I lived in Johnstown, Colorado, the best fried shrimp available from a restaurant was at a small local truck stop on the western edge of town. Even in nearby Greeley, no one beat the truck stop - mostly they had pre-breaded shrimp, the truck stop butterflied actual shrimp and breaded them.

Do learn to text. Texting is handy to send a message to someone who might be busy or otherwise not available for a call. Most importantly, texts will (eventually) go through when the towers are too busy to allow for a new voice call.

Do learn to integrate the phone with the car, that can be handy in many ways.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Do learn to text. Texting is handy to send a message to someone who might be busy or otherwise not available for a call. Most importantly, texts will (eventually) go through when the towers are too busy to allow for a new voice call.

Do learn to integrate the phone with the car, that can be handy in many ways.
I will text. I just dislike it as a form of communication but I know it will be handy for workmen, etc. I dislike the truncated words and abbreviations in place of like, sentences and all.

The guy at Subaru used to work at Verizon and told me to call and make an appointment when I got my smartphone and he'd take me through integrating it with the car. He seemed very interested in making sure that I got on this, so will do it next week. I still wish I had a CD player in the car but otherwise I am very happy with the Subaru Crosstrek as my retiring-to-Colorado car.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:51 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Most importantly, texts will (eventually) go through when the towers are too busy to allow for a new voice call.

I hadn't heard of this. Does it happen often? And in other places other than Colorado?

Old 02-22-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
[/b]

I hadn't heard of this. Does it happen often? And in other places other than Colorado?
Apparently it is a result of the nature of the texts v. voice calls, doesn't matter where, the nature factor is the same. I have a friend in Honolulu who was trying to call her kids in California after a Hawaiian earthquake. She couldn't call them but she was able to text them. I think it's that text use much less... bandwidth? or whatever the medium is.

I will defer to the many many posters who know the right terms, but I believe it is anywhere and everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement