Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I'm confused. I thought that if one moves to Colorado, and doesn't have one, they issue a Subaru to you. You got a good automobile for Colorado. ...
Ha. I did enter a contest in Paonia, CO, to win a Subaru. I really thought I would win the raffle and that would affect my belief in the universe as a random place... I bought six raffle tickets out of 200 and guess what?

Some woman in Kentucky won.

I love the car. It's solid, safe, and I got it at dealer cost- my mechanic knew somebody. It has more whizbangs than I wanted (heated seats??) it has the cargo space I wanted. The Forester had more vertical space, I wanted a wagon space and it was the right size for me. First time I bought a car that wasn't entry-level, a very adult experience!

Last edited by volosong; 02-24-2018 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: fixed close quote hypertag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 11:25 AM

Subaru seems to be the national car of snowy places everywhere.

I think in Maine, they issue you two Subarus, neither one in driving condition. It's a requirement that you keep them out front of your house. At least it was that way a long time ago when I lived up there.

I would have loved to get another Toyota Matrix, this time with AWD, but Toyota stopped selling them in the U.S. I was a bit taken aback by the lessened gas mileage but since I've been losing money out the ears over retiring and moving (and my pension still has not been straightened out) it almost feels like, what the hey. I have enough kibble for the kids for another few weeks and by then, it should be in order.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:41 PM

555 posts, read 595,038 times
I bet you're going to appreciate those heated seats next winter!

Old 02-24-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Winter in New England has never bothered me, and if it's really cold or snowy in CO, I'll just stay home, because I'm retired!

Old 02-24-2018, 01:35 PM

812 posts, read 794,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Winter in New England has never bothered me, and if it's really cold or snowy in CO, I'll just stay home, because I'm retired!
That is a real benefit of being retired! Nothing worse than having to get up early on a cold, snowy morning and try to slog your way into work w/o getting smashed up on the freeway.

Is your new house going to have a fireplace or a woodstove? I wish I had one or the other in my house for those cold days. Not that we get near as many cold days here as CO does, but we do get some.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:04 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Absolutely! My RAV4 has heated front seats and they have really come in handy on these cold mornings this winter. Not sure about the Subaru implementation, but on the RAV, only the seat bottoms are heated; not the seat backs. Hasn't been a problem because in cooler weather, we're usually wearing a coat or heavy sweater.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-25-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Is your new house going to have a fireplace or a woodstove? I wish I had one or the other in my house for those cold days. Not that we get near as many cold days here as CO does, but we do get some.
My new house will have a wood stove, with the main goal being a good viewing window (my current house has a great soapstone stove with a great viewing window. Since I was never going to move, I went all out. So much for knowing one's self!). I had trouble finding a wood stove small enough for my new house and there were few that weren't all old-fashioned colonial looking. Contemporary is pretty rare and I just wanted something that wouldn't heat the roof off. Small houses are still an idea in progress!

I don't use my current stove unless it's down in single digits because, even though it's smallish, it still blasts away. I wouldn't have a fireplace because of the negative effect for actual heating, plus the expense. I do love a stove with a good viewing window.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:03 PM

812 posts, read 794,758 times
Quote:
My new house will have a wood stove, with the main goal being a good viewing window (my current house has a great soapstone stove with a great viewing window. Since I was never going to move, I went all out. So much for knowing one's self!). I had trouble finding a wood stove small enough for my new house and there were few that weren't all old-fashioned colonial looking. Contemporary is pretty rare and I just wanted something that wouldn't heat the roof off. Small houses are still an idea in progress!

I don't use my current stove unless it's down in single digits because, even though it's smallish, it still blasts away. I wouldn't have a fireplace because of the negative effect for actual heating, plus the expense. I do love a stove with a good viewing window.
Yes, that sounds lovely! Maybe once you fire it up after you are there, you will share a picture with us.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:00 PM

I've decided to stop posting on this thread because I am now retired and am not moving to Colorado until April 18 or so. I will happily start a new discussion/thread when I am ready to head out of town but for now, it's all dullsville- trying to recover from 27 years of night shifts, exercise and diet stuff, blah blah. It bores me to think about it, but it's all I can think about until I get some sort of even keel about daily energy. At this point, I'd sacrifice a chicken and do some dance if it would get me some energy, so I ask the moderator consider this discussion completed, and thank you for your interest.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:08 PM

554 posts, read 745,177 times
Quote:
I've decided to stop posting on this thread because I am now retired and am not moving to Colorado until April 18 or so. I will happily start a new discussion/thread when I am ready to head out of town but for now, it's all dullsville- trying to recover from 27 years of night shifts, exercise and diet stuff, blah blah. It bores me to think about it, but it's all I can think about until I get some sort of even keel about daily energy. At this point, I'd sacrifice a chicken and do some dance if it would get me some energy, so I ask the moderator consider this discussion completed, and thank you for your interest.
... EVEN when at a so-called "dullsville" low point, reading your thoughts and memories, and what other folks have, and are, doing has been greatly entertaining ... I've looked forward to reading this thread.
That said, you may be correct, BDL ... So, closing this thread might be the right thing to do.
For one, I look forward to reading about your next thread: possibly "Relocation Travel", or something ... 👴🏻
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement