Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:39 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

Well, this is somewhat different from the pain being discussed, but I believe it sort of fits in.

A gastroenterologist told me recently when I was in for a problem I was having that it was like pooping knives. Hadn't thought of it like that before, but it really is an accurate description of the pain I was having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 02:41 PM

672 posts, read 442,570 times
I have had 5 kidney stones over the last 20 years. I can always tell when they are lurking by the darkness of the urine. Sometimes they won't show up for months. The pain starts when the stone leaves the kidney and tries to pass through the ureter. Sometimes I vomit sometimes not. Either way I usually wind up in the fetal position. Jumping up and down and moving around seems to help if you can stand the pain. I've had them get stuck in the bladder or just pass right through. My first reaction is to head straight to the hospital. Last time I did that they gave me NOTHING. That in itself is a whole mother topic.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:54 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I don't know about gall stones or childbirth, but when I had kidney stones, I would have killed anyone who so much as touched my back, it was so painful. In the ER, I was back and forth into the bathroom to vomit and the last time I came back, there weren't any chairs, so I sat on the floor. The next thing I remember is people trying to lift me up into a chair and a nurse who brought me straight into the back. I guess I got so bad some of the other patients waiting went to inform the receptionist. I don't really remember what I was given for the pain, though.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I've been told (by more than one doctor) that the three most painful conditions are (in this order):

Kidney Stone
Gout
Childbirth
I'm two for three on that list, but will never experience giving birth (lack the requisite parts, which seems to be true of most males). The first kidney stone was horrifically painful, the second not quite as bad. My first gout attack made it impossible to walk because of pain, and it was in my ankle which is supposed to be worse than in a toe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
In others' experience, is it the passing of the kidney stone that is so painful, or just its presence in the kidney?

I've had 3---the pain while IN the kidney was pretty bad. 2 were pulverized by lithotripsy; pieces of one came out and there was a brief moment of excruciating pain, but that was it. The other two just disappeared; never came out. I think my broken ankle was more painful.
I never had pain when the stones were in the kidney. i have two stones in my right kidney now(discovered in a CT for post cancer treatment surveillance) and had no idea they were there. The first one hurt worse than anything ever. The ER gave me toradol, and the pain went away. No clue when that one passed, it was in the ureter when the pain started.The second one hurt, but a couple of vicodin fixed that. I passed that one, which was weird. i had never peed a rock before.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
...My first gout attack made it impossible to walk because of pain, and it was in my ankle which is supposed to be worse than in a toe...

I agree that gout in the ankle would be more painful than gout in a toe. But I'll tell you that gout in every single joint in a foot, from the toes to the ankle, is excruciating enough to make you beg for amputation.

As I said, I have a pretty high threshold for pain -- I had two kids without any anesthesic and never felt anything more than mild discomfort -- but that 3-month-long gout just about killed me. (And, now that my acute kidney failure has been treated, I dont have any more gout issues.)

Old 02-08-2018, 11:27 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
I had a large number of gallstones ten years ago. I had no pain whatsoever, not a bit before or after the surgery. What got ne to the emergency room was the acute nausea.

Kidney stones and gout are a LOT worse.

All three can cause significant problems.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:09 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Just courios,.....
Which circumstance is the most painful:
1/...To pass a Kidney Stone,....or, To have a Gall Stone get lodged in the Bile Duct?
I've had both. When I had my first gall stone attack (in NY), I thought I was having a heart attack. The pain was in my chest and upper back despite the location of the gall bladder. I was in my 30s. I had my gall bladder removed about 6 months before they started to laser zap for gall stones. I have a big scar. All I could eat was jelly on crackers until I had the surgery. The recovery period was long and I had to wear something like a medical corset. It took me a long time to give it up. I was worried my guts would spill out. All in my head, of course.

When I had my first kidney stone (MD), I thought I was dying. A friend took me to the emergency room. The nurse in the hospital said, "People say having a kidney stone is worse than childbirth." I said, "Well, at least I won't have my kidney stone for 18 years." (Obviously, that was when your kids actually left home at 18.) Anyway, they gave me some seriously spacey pain medication and a prescription for more. I practically floated out of the hospital thinking all was right with the universe. I've had 3 more since then but none as bad as the first and none for the last 9 years. Cranberry juice is your friend. With the last one (TN), a small one as it turned out, I waited on line to vote so I handled it just fine.

I can't pick. If you no longer have to have your gall bladder surgically removed, that's probably better.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:16 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
I have had gallstones, two children, and a severe kidney infection (not stones,though). The kidney infection was the most horrific pain I ever have felt. The gallstones were very uncomfortable intermittently. My gallbladder surgery was with the small incisions and I went home the same day. I had both my kids via natural childbirth with no medication of any kind and experienced only some mild transient discomfort when the heads came through, otherwise no pain (sorry if TMI).

Old 02-10-2018, 06:09 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Had gallstones and apparently one was lodged in the common duct last October which caused pancreatitis. I was curled up in the fetal position on my bedroom floor when my son come in and took me right to the hospital. Was in there for 11 days. Was on morphine so I don't remember much other than I had two surgeries in two days including removing the gallbladder.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Had gallstones and apparently one was lodged in the common duct last October which caused pancreatitis. I was curled up in the fetal position on my bedroom floor when my son come in and took me right to the hospital.
I resemble that remark.

The pain was so intense, I was paralyzed and couldn't move. I could only remain in a fetal position on the floor or on my knees in a fetal position, in tears.

Of all the auto and military vehicle accidents, aircraft accidents, broken bones and surgeries I've had, I never before experienced pain on that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement