Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:21 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,543,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We got it before we left the U.S. and it was free on Obamacare, along with all the other vaccinations, except Yellow Fever. Sorry you guys are getting shafted on the cost!
Approx when did you leave the US, when did you get the shot?

Old 02-10-2018, 11:57 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,298,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
Approx when did you leave the US, when did you get the shot?

I dont know when they got the vaccination -- but they left the US at least a year ago, so they had to have gotten the original shot, not the new one.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,942,450 times
Thank you for this reminder!

Old 02-10-2018, 03:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,874,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We got it before we left the U.S. and it was free on Obamacare, along with all the other vaccinations, except Yellow Fever. Sorry you guys are getting shafted on the cost!
You mean "sorry the rest of the public that pays full price for insurance got shafted" don't you?

Old 02-10-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Dustyroad70 - did they ask how long it had been since you had it? Just wondering if you aren't supposed to get it within a certain time frame, don't have it, just curious. Also, how long between shots. I guess I could google that, wondering what Walmart said.
I have read a lot about shingles and the shingrix vaccine and for that matter the zostavax and I read so much that I was not real sure what the answer was, but, I described in excruciating detail, when I noticed the first symptoms, when the rash was healed, etc., etc. He told me that I was totally good to get the shot and that in fact, it had been shown to have a good effect on post=herpatic neuralgic. He seemed very knowledgeable about the issue and he made a believer of me.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:49 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,012,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
Well anyway, went to the optometrist yesterday, he is very personable and our talk came around to the recent bout of shingles, I have just gotten over, I hope. Anyway, he put the fear of God in me with horror stories of recent people he has seen that have had terrible cases of Shingles. After that, we went to the local Walmart to do some shopping. I decided to inquire at the Pharmacy, to see if they had the new Shingrix vaccine. Lo and behold, they had it and had just received approval to start selling it. I had a little conversation with the pharmacist, who would be giving it to me, explaining anything I knew about myself that could be relevant and anyway, I did it. I got the shot, I was the first one at that store to receive it. So far, the only effect I have noticed is a somewhat sore shoulder, mostly nothing. I sleep on that shoulder and it didn't bother me a bit. Slept 9 hours last night. It is just kind of amazing and scary how many people have and get shingles.
There are natural treatments that work wonders. When I got Chicken Pox at the age of 38, I took an natural supplement and reduced the illness to only 3 days. The doctor said he had never seen anyone recover as quickly from adult-onset Chicken Pox. Since Shingles are a variant of the Herpes virus, it shouldn't take much research for you to discover what supplements would be most beneficial especially amino acids.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There are natural treatments that work wonders. When I got Chicken Pox at the age of 38, I took an natural supplement and reduced the illness to only 3 days. The doctor said he had never seen anyone recover as quickly from adult-onset Chicken Pox. Since Shingles are a variant of the Herpes virus, it shouldn't take much research for you to discover what supplements would be most beneficial especially amino acids.
I am not sure why, but, there is something in my thinking that makes me very wary of "natural supplements" and the like. I have, on occasion, when I was younger, tried them, but, I never could stick with it. As the old saying goes, well not really, I don't like to have very expensive urine, flushed down the toilet. I just don't believe in them, but, you know, you got me thinking so maybe I will research it somehow.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:46 PM

1,556 posts, read 2,384,109 times
Quote:
there is something in my thinking that makes me very wary of "natural supplements" and the like.
I will be the outlier and say I am wary of all the vaccines we are urged to get.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I will be the outlier and say I am wary of all the vaccines we are urged to get.
I actually agree with you, somewhat, but, I almost bet money you have never had a case of the shingles, believe me, it is a pain like no other I have experienced and I was first in line to get it, at that Pharmacy anyway.

That reminds me of back in the late 60's I was entered the Army in Fort Polk. We stood in single file lines that stretched for I don't know how long, all of us stripped down to our white t shirts. I watched as the biggest, mouthiest, loudest, ignorant, nasty grown men, cried and pleaded, begged, threatened, passed out, they kept moving back in the line instead of staying in there place. I just walked along waiting for the injection gun.

I'm getting to old for this job.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:40 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,573,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Totally buy into this way to go, and I've been working with "natural" supplements for over 25 yrs and no shots of any kind and no shingles etc...and a healthy 79. There are so many who going to docs for this and that are a way of life.

Some are wary of naturals and I"m very wary of pharma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement