Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 07:01 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,185,562 times

Advertisements

Stumbled on this

Merck Admits Shingles Vaccine Can Cause Eye Damage

Pretty scary to someone with already super bad eyes. And why is this info only being releast in 2016 if Zostavax has been out since 2006? Seems like they keep quiet for a long time.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:48 AM

4,528 posts, read 3,733,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Stumbled on this

Pretty scary to someone with already super bad eyes. And why is this info only being releast in 2016 if Zostavax has been out since 2006? Seems like they keep quiet for a long time.
I saw this when googling for info after my interest was piqued by seeing law firm ads on TV looking for lawsuit participants who had the shingles vaccine.

While the improved effectiveness rate of the new vaccine is good, I’m waiting to see more clinical data on side effects after a larger number of people receive the vaccine.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:50 AM

14,375 posts, read 14,203,333 times
Quote:
Stumbled on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I saw this when googling for info after my interest was piqued by seeing law firm ads on TV looking for lawsuit participants who had the shingles vaccine.

While the improved effectiveness rate of the new vaccine is good, I’m waiting to see more clinical data on side effects after a larger number of people receive the vaccine.
I read through these links and I am underwhelmed at what I found. The articles refer to 'research" done by the HSI. I looked up the HSI website. Its an organization with an advisory panel composed of naturopathic physicians, a handful of medical doctors who believe in "natural" cures, someone who never went beyond a college degree in premed, and a couple of people who claimed to have been cured from afflictions like cancer through "natural means". I never could find the actual research that was claimed to prove the link between eye problems and Zostavax. I doubt this "research" was ever published.

Many people do not understand the complex process necessary to win approval for a vaccine in America. Vaccines go through a more detailed approval process than other medications do because (1) they are given to prevent a disease from occurring rather than treat it after it occurs; and (2) it is contemplated that they will be given to millions and millions of people. Government is not lax in this area. In fact, many people complain the approval process for medications in America is so lengthy that it denies benefits of innovation to thousands of people currently suffering from diseases.

A vaccine must win approval from multiple government agencies. First, it must be shown to be safe and effective through a prescribed series of trials mandated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). At that point, the Center for Disease Control will separately evaluate the vaccine focusing on side effects. Only if all appears in order, will the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices add this vaccine to the recommended vaccine schedule.

Zostavax and Shingrix both went through this process and both met all the criteria set forth.

No one can make you take a vaccine for Shingles. However, when you consider how painful Shingles can be and its prevalence in the older population, it frankly just isn't reasonable or intelligent to avoid the vaccine.

I have taken Zostavax and I intend to take Shingrix as soon as I can arrange it.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:08 AM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times
Quote:
Stumbled on this

Keratitis has been reported in a tiny number of people and causation has not yet been confirmed.

https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/new...e-inflammation

Retinitis appears to occur in immunosupressed individuals, who should not get the vaccine anyway.

Very rare complications take a while to be identified. There is no conspiracy to hide complications from the vaccine.

Shingrix is not a live vaccine, so these particular complications should be less likely.

Shingles itself can involve the eye and cause blindness.

Not just a painful rash: Shingles can damage the eyes | PennLive.com

Old 05-06-2018, 11:13 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
I would never get a shingles vaccine.

I believe in the metaphysical causes of dis-ease.

If you look up metaphysical causes of shingles, it is very interesting.

In the meantime, the vaccine might also cause shingles (as well as a host of other problems, including eye damage):

Old 05-06-2018, 11:36 AM

10,823 posts, read 14,898,817 times
Quick question here, to the best of my knowledge I never had chicken pox and nobody in my family remembers me getting chicken pox. Been around them, knew kids in grade school who had them even going to the point of going to Tom's house while he was out of school with it.

Am I at risk for shingles?

Old 05-06-2018, 11:42 AM

13,032 posts, read 7,430,344 times
Not shingles but at risk for chicken pox. You have to have chicken pox first before you get Shingles (see definition).

Old 05-06-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I would never get a shingles vaccine.

I believe in the metaphysical causes of dis-ease.

If you look up metaphysical causes of shingles, it is very interesting.

In the meantime, the vaccine might also cause shingles (as well as a host of other problems, including eye damage)
Your link is from an anti-vax site.

https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/new...e-inflammation

The key word is rare.

"Researchers found 20 cases of keratitis in children and adults that occurred within a month of receiving a chickenpox or shingles vaccine."

Shingles itself can cause the condition, and is much more likely to do so than the vaccine.

The new vaccine, Shingrix, contains no live virus, is more effective than Zostavax, and greatly reduces the risk of persistent pain after a shingles attack.

The benefits of the vaccine are far greater than the risks.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:12 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
What a surprise that you would say that!

Old 05-06-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Quick question here, to the best of my knowledge I never had chicken pox and nobody in my family remembers me getting chicken pox. Been around them, knew kids in grade school who had them even going to the point of going to Tom's house while he was out of school with it.

Am I at risk for shingles?
How old are you?

You have two options:

One is to take the shingles vaccine. If you have had chickenpox you are protected against shingles. If you have not, you are protected against chickenpox.

The other is to have a blood test to see if you have antibodies to the chickenpox virus. If you do not, you can take the lower dose chickenpox vaccine. If you do, you take the shingles vaccine.

Doctors do not usually do the blood test because most adults born before the vaccine came out had chickenpox, even if they do not remember it. An exceptionally mild case may produce only a few blisters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.