Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:07 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
MMVAL. It is perfectly normal for hundreds of things to begin to become noticeable when a person advances into old age. If I ran to my doctor to tell him I've got hair growing inside my ears, I'd b e a wreck, and people who need medical care from my already overworked doctor might be unable to get a timely appointment.
Well this condition is NOTHING like having a hair growing in your ears or the "hundreds of things" you can dream up. .

But feel free to inappropriately cry all day when you get a documented condition that causes it.

And yes, Low T is one of the hormonal causes.

Besides strokes and other problems like depression, insomnia, apnea, narcolepsy, brain trauma, MS, ALS, or adverse reactions from medication.

Remember that that you can end up in Skilled Nursing Care for life

Hilarious you think it's something to blow off.

I live with and work for A TON of men much older than 65 and the ONLY ones with this condition had strokes.

That includes WIDOWERS with a reason to cry.

And your doctor would agree with me, not say "Nah, never mind, I"m overworked".

Name me one other person you know who does this who isn't even 65.

I know about 50 men between 65 - 95 and like I said, ONLY the stroke ones have this problem.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-10-2018 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I saw this happening to my dad in later years (80s). I think it's normal.

What gets me is certain music. We happened across several versions of national orchestras (You-Tube) from all over the world playing Star Trek theme music, and that is some of the most poignant (to us) music ever. We both teared up over those symphonies. Also a very moving one to me is the music played at Princess Diana's funeral---something like "Ode to Thee, my Country"?
Everyone knows people can cry with music, dancing, any arts.

NOT when their wife randomly walks into the room and says "Good Morning".

Or "about everything".

AT AGE 64! (or less, the OP only said he's not 65 yet)

Old 02-10-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I think (no medical degree here) that it a change in hormones. Immediate suspect would be declining testorone but its probably more complicated than that. Maybe that and a some of this and less of that. Add to that the meds people take. I also wonder about hormones and other pharmaceuticals etc in our water supply. Everyone takes so many pills now days, and if they don't take them so many flush them. Teeny tiny amounts but who knows, in conjunction with hormone shifts along with age, or just the age.
Yes I listed Low T as one of the documented hormonal changes that DOES CAUSE THIS.

That's not to say it's normal for a man who's not even 65 years old to be blubbering when his wife says "good morning" or over "everything".

Or maybe the OP was just punching up his thread with hyperbole to make it more ~interesting.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:28 AM

Luckily you don't seem to have the advance version: PBA, like the Danny Glover commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PAqlfsv2k

Old 02-10-2018, 11:21 AM

6,136 posts, read 4,498,140 times
PBA is inappropriate emotional response for no reason. There's nothing inappropriate about learning to experience emotion and to have or express feelings about things after a long lifetime of keeping them bottled up because it's not adult, or professional, or macho, or whatever. No disrespect meant to the poster caring for the elderly or her knowledge over time.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:46 AM

88,506 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Do yourself a favor, if you flip channels and find yourself on Old Yeller keep on flipping.
The more recent, though not that recent, animal movie that will do it for me is the end of Homeward Bound:

Old 02-10-2018, 11:48 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'm not even 65 yet, but I find myself tearing up about everything. My wife says good morning and smiles and I can feel the "shiny eyes" starting. I listen to a song I like and BAM, here come the tears! Things don't have to be sad, in fact, sad is not part of it at all, but there is some emotional connection that brings it on. I'm really hoping that I'm not that unique. If I am, that's okay too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes I listed Low T as one of the documented hormonal changes that DOES CAUSE THIS.

That's not to say it's normal for a man who's not even 65 years old to be blubbering when his wife says "good morning" or over "everything".

Or maybe the OP was just punching up his thread with hyperbole to make it more ~interesting.
Well, you're the one who seems to be "punching up" the thread - OP said he "feels the shiny eyes" starting and that it is in relation to emotional, sentimental moments - not quite the same as blubbering inappropriately.

Also, "uncontrollable" doesn't seem to be coming into play here and neither is the inappropriate laughter that accompanies PBA:
https://www.psycom.net/pseudobulbar-affect/

Old 02-10-2018, 01:24 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I would not want to be a person who does not cry at the movies. And country music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAOVRkSCWmg

Old 02-10-2018, 01:33 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,745,594 times
I just think as we age we have less ability to control our emotions. Could be a hormone thing. The last couple of years, I have had more difficulty coping with "stressful" situations at work. Nothing extreme, but 10 years ago I think I would have handled it better internally. I asked my friend whether he felt the same way at work and he said yes.

Thankfully, less than a year away from retirement...

Old 02-10-2018, 01:50 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,003 times
My Father is now deceased but he lived to 94 years old. I remember him tearing up a lot over different things as he got older. I always thought it was just part of growing old.
Never saw this in his younger days except one time when a family pet had to be put to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement