Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 06:53 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times

Advertisements

The less noise one is subjected to in old age lowers the blood pressure. Maybe more old people should move to the quiet country. Not being near a major hospital can be a problem since the first hour for heart patients is crucial. Do they have air transport in that area? A good emergency service is important in rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 06:58 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is about twenty to thirty minutes from a town of 6,000 on steep mountain terrain.
NASCAR country! Where driving is an art to be appreciated.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:10 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's certainly true that not all retired people are in poor health. Definitely true since retirees are in their 60's and 70's (some at 55) and then into one's 80's.

But as people grow older, some or many become more frail. Less strength and frailty is true of many past 80. (some in late 70's)

So the question would be, do you want a rural location if in growing older, one is more frail, less endurance and strength, and other things that often go with being close to 80 and 85 or above, along with most likely fewer services being available.
You can always move back into town when your health fails...you don't have to be near hospitals and Walmart for every minute of your retirement. If you retire in your 60s, why not live where you want and enjoy it for 20 years, then move back to Walmart and hospitals when you become frail.

Life is short. Enjoy it while you can.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

If you spent your youth smoking and drinking and tsking drugs, not eating as well or exercising as much as you should have, and you know who you are, don't complain.

The above is kind of a narrow view because there are lots of people who have never smoked, rarely drink or just very small amounts, never took drugs, and eat in a healthy manner who still have health problems!

Health problems are certainly not limited to people who have smoked, drink, do not eat as healthily as they should, and do not exercise.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

If you retire in your 60s, why not live where you want and enjoy it for 20 years, then move back to Walmart and hospitals when you become frail.

Life is short. Enjoy it while you can.
Agree, it can be done! I have zero desire to be near a Walmart though. Walmart.com online suffices very well.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:17 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
I used to think that I would move to be near the medical center or VA hospital in the "big" city.

But now - I don't care. You can get good or bad medical care anywhere.

I'm happy in my small town. I'm not a shopper so going to the local store once a week is enough for me. I buy most of my clothes and shoes online.

The big city is a short 20 minute drive anyway. Used to be further. It is getting closer and closer, but that is okay.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:28 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
I used to work with a couple about my age that are serious outdoors enthusiasts. They recently bought a small house between Erwin and Flag Pond, TN, in the mountains. She works in Kingsport, about an hour away, and he works closer.

There is very little out that way. The nearest Walmart and community hospital are probably about thirty minutes away. No grocery stores. The nearest gas station is probably ten miles away. Road plowing in the winter and any other sort of maintenance is going to be minimal at best. There's virtually no one out there and it is essentially unspoiled wilderness.

This place is fine for a young couple that wants to be out in the middle of nowhere. For a senior, aging out here seems like it would be a nonstarter. A doctor's office is an hour away. Getting around in the winter in the snow is going to be a chore. The nearest major hospital would probably be at least an hour over narrow mountain roads.

The views are wonderful from their Facebook post. It's near several creeks. It's what people think of when they think of Tennessee country living, but it doesn't seem like it would be viable for many seniors to age in place there.
I'm 66 and moved from a metropolis area of 1.3 million to a small (351 people) prairie town 30 miles from the nearest grocery store.

I love it!!!

I love the neighbors, my kids are within an hour drive (one of the reasons I moved), I don't ever lock my doors, I walk 1 block and I am in wilderness, I hear coyotes howl every evening, and see deer and moose at least every week. It's not every one, but I would not trade it for anything.

It took me exactly 20 minutes to find a new doctor, also 30 miles away. Remember, by highway, that is only a half hour, less than I had to drive in the metropolis.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:39 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
I used to work with a couple about my age that are serious outdoors enthusiasts. They recently bought a small house between Erwin and Flag Pond, TN, in the mountains. She works in Kingsport, about an hour away, and he works closer.

There is very little out that way. The nearest Walmart and community hospital are probably about thirty minutes away. No grocery stores. The nearest gas station is probably ten miles away. Road plowing in the winter and any other sort of maintenance is going to be minimal at best. There's virtually no one out there and it is essentially unspoiled wilderness.

This place is fine for a young couple that wants to be out in the middle of nowhere. For a senior, aging out here seems like it would be a nonstarter. A doctor's office is an hour away. Getting around in the winter in the snow is going to be a chore. The nearest major hospital would probably be at least an hour over narrow mountain roads.

The views are wonderful from their Facebook post. It's near several creeks. It's what people think of when they think of Tennessee country living, but it doesn't seem like it would be viable for many seniors to age in place there.
I will concur with the others and say that it depends on the person.

Living in the country, I never even give a second thought to how close a doctor or hospital is. I suppose if I get kicked in the head by a horse, it will make a difference, but if that doesn't happen, I'm golden.

One thing that does bug me is that the closest "real" store is 17 miles away, so when I run out of booze, if i don't feel like driving that far, I have to buy something at the closest convenience store (4 miles), which is really expensive.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:23 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,193 times
Quote:

Not surprisingly, not all rural areas are the same. We are moving to a rural area, where the closest town has a population of 1365 (+2 soon). In our area, house lots are 10 acre minimums, but we are surrounded by 20-40 acre lots, so no close neighbors. Town is 3.6 miles away, and has all the shopping we would need (groceries, gas, hardware, clinic) on a daily basis. Large medical (Hospital) is 9 miles away, and high-tech medicine, shopping malls and art galleries are 26 miles away. Roads are completely clear, and it takes me less time to drive 26 miles here than it did to go five miles in other places I lived.

Whether one chooses to live in a seedy area in a city, a bad rural area, or a million dollar house next to a homeless tent city (think Anaheim, CA), a bad decision is a bad decision, regardless of age.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:15 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,751,833 times
Any decision, good or bad, can be changed. Do what you want and move on when it’s time.

My parents built the house they dreamed of for years on property they had bought 15 years earlier. Their property was 28 acres on a mountain in NC that bordered the Smoky Mountains. What a lovely area, I have fond memories of visits there. My parents were in the prime of their retirement, loving life.

Dad had surgery on his back for a disc, and while recovering in the hospital, he realized Mom was alone on a 1/2 mile road up to their house with no one nearby. He saw the future and they later sold and did a 180, moving into a condo in Asheville. They enjoyed that too, but not as much as the mountain place. They ended up moving back to their hometown in the Midwest that they had left in their mid-twenties. They went full circle and did all the things they set out to do in retirement. I’m so happy they got to do what they planned for. Those years on the mountain were the golden ones for them.

My parents had a good retirement, but it evolved along the way. Decisions about moving away, staying in place, being rural or city may change as we go along. Where I live is what I want now. I hope I recognize when or if it’s time to move on for me. I think I will, I had great role models.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-14-2018 at 06:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement