Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 12:46 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
I don't currently reside in a rural area but I have in the past. I saw what happens to 'tiny local shops" when a Walmart opens a small agricultural community and is able to undersell the little guys. Economists call it the "Walmart Virus" when local merchants close and once thriving downtown areas become boarded up ghost towns. I support the free market and I respect the consumers right to chose what is best for their budgets. I prefer to keep my money local when all possible but each to their own.
While I do believe in buying local, some of the tiny local shops are very difficult to deal with, especially if you weren't born locally:

I was shopping for a couch. Saw one I liked at a local store, but it was sold. They didn't have another in stock, and wouldn't order one. The salesperson went so far as to say, rather nastily, "This is Hilo, you have to buy what's on the floor." I bought my couch somewhere else; another small, local store that was nicer to customers.

I needed medical supplies that were only available at one small, local store in town. I bought them once, and there was a 10-minute delay because they had to put them in the computer. The second time, the price doubled. I showed my receipt from the first time, and they gave me that price, but had to delay me while they entered it in the computer. Then I had them order more; went in to pick them up; they couldn't sell them to me because they weren't in the computer, and the only person who did computer work was at lunch. Said I should come back in a couple of hours. I gave up and started ordering the supplies online.

And one more: we needed a wrench, for a one-time use. Local hardware store wanted $12. Walmart had a set of 6 wrenches, including the one we needed, for $5. Worked fine, and fit my limited income budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 02:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Everyone has posted about hospitals and doctors, but what about other urban amenities? Doesn't anyone like to go to sporting events, concerts, meetings? You don't want to have to drive several hours. Airports, yes, you don't mind doing that.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:50 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
If you lived in a town or city, you could just have your groceries delivered, after ordering them online.

Grocery delivery services are popping up all over, and some have existed for at least 14 years.

No "having to drive 5 miles in bumper to bumper city traffic that takes 30 minutes to get there and stress you out with the honking and drivers cutting you off."
Yes I could do that. But my point was that sometimes living in the city with all amenities does have the down side of crazy traffic with many rude drivers in a rush that does stress people out.

As I said there are advantages and disadvantages to both. I have lived in both situations and while I love the amenities of the big city, I know that health wise my stress levels increase living there and that living around nature does have its health benefits.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:51 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Everyone has posted about hospitals and doctors, but what about other urban amenities? Doesn't anyone like to go to sporting events, concerts, meetings? You don't want to have to drive several hours. Airports, yes, you don't mind doing that.
I live in a town around 800 people, more cows than people, a 40 min. drive and I’m in a what I call The Circus,
89k people.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I am amazed at all these only 30 mile drives to XYZ. I hate having to go 8 miles to a bigger grocery store.

I'm fine with our small store since I don't need much.

Y'all really think 30 miles is nothing? Maybe I am getting old? I used to drive more than that to get to work every day
I'm still fairly "young" and driving 30 miles is way too much. I'm a city girl. I'm looking to have all of my essentials within 5 miles.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post

Yes I could do that. But my point was that sometimes living in the city with all amenities does have the down side of crazy traffic with many rude drivers in a rush that does stress people out.

As I said there are advantages and disadvantages to both. I have lived in both situations and while I love the amenities of the big city, I know that health wise my stress levels increase living there and that living around nature does have its health benefits.
I'm curious why you use the term 'big city'. One does not need to live in a 'big city' to have amenities.

There are all types of medium-sized cities and towns, and college towns too.

And one can live in a medium-sized city or town where traffic is not as you describe.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:19 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'm curious why you use the term 'big city'. One does not need to live in a 'big city' to have amenities.

There are all types of medium-sized cities and towns, and college towns too.

And one can live in a medium-sized city or town where traffic is not as you describe.
Yes you are correct and the same can be said about rural. When I see myself in arural place I’m not talking about 30 miles from the next house or all amenities.

As I said we all are different and we all must weigh out what’s best for us. I myself know that for me a place with lots of trees, no traffic jams and within 30-40 minutes to a larger city with airports etc and within 15-20 minutes to a town with groceries and hospiral is better for my quality of life than a city or larger town with the traffic etc. in fact when I look for a city or town I chose one were driving is not needed for most essentials. I prefer walking whenever possible.

As I said there is no right or wrong we are all different and priorities are different.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:23 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I think that people who enjoy a more rural lifestyle probably don't place nearly the same amount of importance on those activities, or they are able to satisfy those needs on a smaller scale, high school sports instead of college or pro sports, the local church choir or amateur theater group rather than professional plays or concerts. How many people attend those kinds of things often enough that it would be a problem to drive an hour or two to attend something you really feel enthusiastic about?
Me, I'm generally happier watching the wildlife outside my door, going to a local event, or doing something outdoors, rather than attending some of those other things. When I do feel the urge it's not a huge deal to me to go to a bigger city for the day or the weekend.
Obviously for someone who enjoys doing those things you mention, and does them often, moving out to the 'boonies' isn't going to make sense.

Last edited by DubbleT; 02-17-2018 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: space

Old 02-17-2018, 03:47 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
<>And one more: we needed a wrench, for a one-time use. Local hardware store wanted $12. Walmart had a set of 6 wrenches, including the one we needed, for $5. Worked fine, and fit my limited income budget.
I have borrowed tools for a one time use from Autozone. My local car repair shop has all the mechanics tool boxes marked with various "keep your hands offa my tools" signs.
Different situations.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:41 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
As we age, our risk of heart attack and stroke increases. It would be a good idea to be within 15 or 20 minutes of a hospital due to that fact.

So, then, the feasibility of a rural life would depend on how much urban convenience we are willing to trade off for the pleasures of a quieter and simpler existence. If we want to try to live forever, then we look for a rural enough existence within 15 to 20 minutes of a hospital. If we adopt a fatalist attitude of 'when the good Lord wants me, the good Lord is gonna take me', then a rural lifestyle is totally doable because we aren't caring where the nearest cardiac care center is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement