Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:58 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Here's the good news: You'll save more by NOT using the coupons (which has always been the case). Continue to buy the economy size of store-brand products. It will be cheaper than using coupons to buy smaller size packages of Kraft or Kelloggs.
I buy the store brand generics. Albertson's has Signature brands, and they're most comparable to the advertised brands. No coupon needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 05:00 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
For someone as low tech as myself (67 YO, 68 in April) who has no apps at all, no Smartphone yet, still cherishing my flip-up phone, I'm flustered at seeing all these grocery shop fliers in the mail today referring to digital coupons. ????

The clerk at Albertson's urged me to get the app for Albertson's, 3 months ago, as I'd be missing out on some great bargains. Haven't done it yet, don't even know how to tackle it.

Looking at Smith's weekly flyer, I see they've got digital coupons now as well. Will Wal-Mart be next?

I don't even shop at grocery stores that require cards, wont' shop there, sorry about that Smith's and Von's!

How about you? Are you getting the App's, or just ignoring it all?
I worked in a computer center for twenty years beginning in the mid-1970s. We were a rich client for IBM, etc. so we got to see all the prototype for todays digital daffyness. There is a small segment of people whose systems lack the "docking" mechanism for the HIV virus, so they cannot contract it even if it enters their system. I think there must be one digitalitis too. And I was fortunate enough to be born with it.

I retired from the computer center, and I have a flip phone and a desk top computer.

Shop? There is a beautifully stocked hypermercado a slow five minute walk away, and there is a nice little snatch-and-grab-it corner market near to where I park the car when I go for my early morning walk and near the cafe I hang out in.

Them be my apps.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:48 AM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I buy the store brand generics. Albertson's has Signature brands, and they're most comparable to the advertised brands. No coupon needed.
True, but if you use store shopper programs there are usually coupons on store brands, I know there are at Safeway, and I don't even have their app on my phone- I go to their website, click on the coupons I'm interested in and that adds them to my card. I give the clerk my phone number and the register calculates the coupon discounts.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:03 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,858 times
The local big supermarket chain near me has some really good discounts on any number of of items weekly, including occasionally free or BOGO, catch is that one needs the store discount id card to activate it at the cashier by swiping. And if I go online their website will have additional digital "coupons" to click on that registers me for that.

Also the loyalty card accrues credits via registered cash spent & one can use that for various further discounts, such as getting a discount at the gas station. Hey.... it's free $$$$, I never turn that down if it's something I would get anyway.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:42 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,166 times
This is ridiculous. Fortunately, the Millennials will love it!

Old 03-27-2018, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 359 times
What I think is in near we will not see any stores that don't have a card system and hence, your problem is going to be bigger in near future. If you are having trouble with the apps try loyalty card instead plus you will get the discount too.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:46 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times
I just saw an in-store digital coupon at Albertson's. You save $2/lb on hamburger. Great deal, but unfortunately, I don't have a cell phone to scan it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement