Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 10:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,386,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
When you get to be a certain age, money and wealth become less important than the present and near future.
With all due respect, if that was true, they wouldn't be asking you about your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That makes it easy for them to pigeonhole. Less work than listening to a person, watching what they do and how they do it, and really paying attention over a while rather than looking for soundbites.

Some people use soundbites as a mask or a deflector against real observation. It must fool the pigeonholers pretty well.
Amen to this! I am a "victim" of prejudice towards low income people on the dole. Many people who find this out, simply assume I'm some sort of taker low-life who never paid into the system.

I can understand why they do it, though, honestly. It makes it much easier for them to feel like victims. See? The system is against me, blah blah.

Even when I've engaged people like this and explained how they can make the most of what they have, based on years of research, and expressed my willingness to help them - I have found that 100% of the time, so far, they would rather feel like victims and hold onto their belief that people like me are simply handed free money without sacrifice, and people like them bear the brunt and have no alternatives.

And they usually refuse to see the sacrifices I've made to get even the measly subsidies that I have.

But, it's kind of like trying to reason with an evangelical person. I am a lapsed Catholic, and know all of the pat answers to arguing with religion. You're in denial, that's the devil talking to you, etc., etc.

Basically, you can't reason with unreasonable people.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
So, OP, how much money do you make per year?
Good practice lol. "I feel blessed, thanks. How about you?"

Old 02-17-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
A few years ago, I helped a couple we knew set up her computer with a program I wrote for her that kept track of all her assets, incomes, and savings accounts. We had done a recheck up on everything and it was up to date exactly. Three days later they were on there way to the closest larger town, when a drunk driver killed both of them as well as himself. I saw her kids at church when they were in town to arrange the funerals, and get things under control.

I asked the one son, if he knew how to get control of their money and assets. He said they were completely lost. I told him about the computer program with everything on a complete record and where their will was. I went over after church, and using the password which I had set it up with, opened their financial records. There had not even been one change before they died. The son that was the executor, took the computer home with him when they left 3 days later, knowing exactly where they stood, and the parents were a lot better off than the kids realized.

Some one always needs to know how to access the parents records for older people, and have it as easy as this young man had to handle their estate. There was money in places he would never have known about until they got yearly accounting for tax purposes in the mail. And if I had not known where they had hidden their wills, etc., he would have been in problem. They would not have known, that the home was in a trust, that passed directly to the older divorced brother that had been local and helped the parents so much.

If you have not given your kids the knowledge of your affairs when you are retired, you are leaving them a big problem when you are gone. We had put everything in a computer in this situation, and it was automatic after they got the computer and their wills I knew where they could find them. It was just filing papers, and arranging to get access to the money, advertising for any bills which did not exist, filling out some more papers, and closing the estate within 6 months. If I had not set things up on the computer for her, it would have been a fiasco. It took about 4 minutes to dig out the wills, etc., and open the computer to the program I had put on it, and I went home and they had it all there before them. They had not even known who was the executor.
This brings up another subject entirely, but if the kids don't know anything about the parent, such as my daughter for instance, i can't feel really sorry for them if getting what's left of their parents' estates causes them a little bit of hassle.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:52 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,894,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
My fellow employees knew I had become wealthy. When you are deferring $700 a pay, word gets around.
Isn't that illegal? Nobody should be revealing your payroll deductions to anybody but the IRS.

Quote:
I am working for the additional Medicare credits, not for the money.
You haven't worked for 40 quarters? If that is the case, you've done very well indeed.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:44 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,140,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
....And how do you deal with these people?
The same way I deal with someone who asks me how big my dick is.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:17 AM

4,111 posts, read 2,999,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Isn't that illegal? Nobody should be revealing your payroll deductions to anybody but the IRS.

You haven't worked for 40 quarters? If that is the case, you've done very well indeed.
A former mayor commented about my deferrals at a going away party for another employee. It surprised me a bit, but I was OK with it. Also, when you talk to your fellow employees, word gets around.

As far as Medicare, as an Ohio PERS employee who was hired prior to April 1986 and never changed jobs, I did not pay into Medicare. I want the credits in case Ohio PERS decides they are not going to take care of us grandfathered retirees after all. Just ask the employees and retirees who have been told that their spouses are not going to receive health insurance coverage anymore.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:38 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,474,664 times
Just tell them that there are 4 things you never discuss with strangers:

1) Religion
2) Politics
3) Finances
4) Good things that Hitler did

Old 02-18-2018, 12:28 PM

10,823 posts, read 14,900,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
A former mayor commented about my deferrals at a going away party for another employee. It surprised me a bit, but I was OK with it. Also, when you talk to your fellow employees, word gets around.

As far as Medicare, as an Ohio PERS employee who was hired prior to April 1986 and never changed jobs, I did not pay into Medicare. I want the credits in case Ohio PERS decides they are not going to take care of us grandfathered retirees after all. Just ask the employees and retirees who have been told that their spouses are not going to receive health insurance coverage anymore.
I don't understand, my wife is a OPERS retiree and she does have Medicare but there are other big BIG pluses to OPERS that we just discovered in December.

My wife is collecting social security and a small OPERS pension and yes, she does get WEP'd on her social security where she loses $1 for every $2 her OPERS pension (I think that is what it is anyway) but at least they don't take it all back.

The big one we just discovered just in December OPERS has a medical savings account where they stick $2,400 into her personal medical account for out of pocket reimbursements.

She also gets 100% reimbursed for the cost of her Plan G and Plan D plus reimbursement for any out of pocket expenses for dental, eye glasses and pharmacy!

My wife has zero in medical expenses! How cool is that?

The $2,400 rolls over every year and when she discovered it she had over $5,000 in her medical savings account she got new glasses, two crowns at the dentist AND received all her pharmacy and co-pays records along with her Part A expenses, Plan G and Plan D for the previous two years and in January OPERS deposited nearly $5,000 in our checking account.

Every month now we get an additional $151.70 deposited into our account for her Plan G and D costs!

We love it!

For the record she would have gotten her new glasses and dental work, I kind of like my wife better with teeth, regardless but this kind of worked better!

Old 02-18-2018, 04:01 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,920,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Perhaps you appear to be doing better than you and was hoping you'd give him your 'secret' or at least some hints.
That would be my guess, as well. Someone trying to make ends meet may be wanting to pick your brain for tips or info that they may be able to use for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement