Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:39 AM

168 posts, read 174,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Making memories at 80?....Why collect dead days?

"The past is a country we have all emigrated from," Salman Rushdie.
Making memories for my family. So when they think of me they laugh. Also for me for when I get to the point that my adventures are more limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 03:41 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suevee View Post
Making memories for my family. So when they think of me they laugh. Also for me for when I get to the point that my adventures are more limited.
That first intention was not clear from the posting in which it appeared; as for the second part we clearly disagree.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
This is a fascinating thread. How could you be 71 and never have thought about death, mortality, and how much time you have left?

Or maybe you thought about death and mortality a little but not much, but you had never actually calculated how much time you might have left.

Or maybe working on your Phd at age 71 had put you into a state of mind where future death did not occupy any part of your mind.

One senior on City-Data (not in this thread) claimed he never had thought about whether he was afraid of death or not. I found that inconceivable to never have thought about it. I realize that many Christians (and some other religious people) do not fear death or very little. I don't think this person is religious.

This:
...."Or maybe you thought about death and mortality a little but not much, but you had never actually calculated how much time you might have left."

Actually, it was about five years ago. It was like hitting a brick wall of reality.

I know that I will die sometime in the future, but I just don't dwell on it.

However, I do have reason to dwell on it somewhat (3rd degree heart block, atrial fibrillation and pacemaker), but this trifecta could cause me to go at any time (I have been like this for 20 years), whereas the "how much time I have left" is a little more disconcerting.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:22 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,289,544 times
I don't really think about how much time I have left, except sometimes to wonder which young relative, if any, will be my executor if I get old before dying.

I do sometimes think about dying itself. I don't want to die of cancer, certainly. I don't want to be killed in an accident or to be murdered. Those are too traumatic for other people. I don't want alzheimer's or ALS, and I don't want to be incapacitated by strokes. Fatal heart attack doesn't really sound so bad when I consider the alternatives.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:59 AM

535 posts, read 343,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I don't really think about how much time I have left, except sometimes to wonder which young relative, if any, will be my executor if I get old before dying.

I do sometimes think about dying itself. I don't want to die of cancer, certainly. I don't want to be killed in an accident or to be murdered. Those are too traumatic for other people. I don't want alzheimer's or ALS, and I don't want to be incapacitated by strokes. Fatal heart attack doesn't really sound so bad when I consider the alternatives.
Unfortunately, even a heart attack does not "finish the job." What I mean by this is that you may l you may have several if not many heart attacks and just get more feeble and more bedridden each time. We can not order what outcome is acceptable to us.
I am with you. A fatal hear attack is quick. My family knows that I love them. Unfortunately, we do not always get what kind of death we want.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:16 AM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
... A fatal hear attack is quick. My family knows that I love them. Unfortunately, we do not always get what kind of death we want.
My father, like his brothers, survived a first heart attack at 75. He stopped driving a taxi seven days a week, and began walking two miles a day, ate perfectly. Mentally as sharp as ever. He said he wasn't worrie about dying, he just wasn't in a hurry. "One of these days I'll wake up dead." I did ask him to carry my phone number, which he did.

At 87, he got diagnosed with pancreatic/liver cancer, like his brothers. He declined treatment and died seven weeks later, fortunately with little pain. He was mad that he got cancer like every other relative of his did.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:36 AM

705 posts, read 561,932 times
Do you ever think about how much time you have left?

I honestly try not to think about things like that too much. My husband has beat prostrate cancer and kidney failure. Now he has Polycythemia vera (pol-e-sy-THEE-me-uh VEER-uh) it's a slow-growing blood cancer in which your bone marrow makes too many red blood cells. These excess cells thicken your blood, slowing its flow. They also cause complications, such as blood clots, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke. Under a Dr's care most people can live a normal life. I also have my own health issues. I can't spend my time thinking about ...'could this be the last day?' I just treasure each day the Lord blesses us with.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:28 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I never thought about it, but 1 year ago this month, my son had a headache and I brought him into the emergency ward at the hospital. It was a mild stroke and everyone said "don't worry he'll be fine" 11 days later he died. He was only 38 and healthy as could be. So I've realized that planning for the future or wondering how long I have is irrelevant, you just never know.
That's so heartbreaking
I'm so so sorry.......

Life is so unpredictable.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:32 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

If you are still alive there is a reason and something else you need to contribute. We all have to figure out what that is.
I really think this is true

Old 04-11-2018, 03:26 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,934,274 times
I learned last week that two college Fraternity Brothers had died, one at 60 and the other at 61.

Last night I learned that the Dad of one of our youngest son's childhood friends had died over the weekend. He was 63.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement