Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:49 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,946,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Almost every day or multiple times per week.

Without dwelling on death too much, thinking about time left can make one savor more and enjoy each day, each week, and moments more.

And when thinking of purchasing anything I think about whether I really need it, considering my age and time left.

I'm also stunned by hearing the denial at times surrounding it.
That is something I refuse to do. If I see something I like and want, and if I can afford it, I will buy it. I remember my mom avoiding buying things as she got older. Couldn't even get her interested in going clothes shopping (which she previously enjoyed). She had that attitude of not needing anything new anymore. I am different. I like new. But I do try to only get things I will use. Don't want to add to useless clutter. I spend a lot of my time window shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 12:50 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
I like reading the Obituaries in the New York Times because they focus on people who have had a life of achievement and accomplishment and often an interesting life in various ways. They are often very good stories.

I always note the age of the person - while there are a good number around 85 and 90 or 92, it's a bit stunning to see so many in their 70's. I also always look for and note the cause of death.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:50 PM

4,510 posts, read 5,047,659 times
Don't worry about old age, it doesn't last !

Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM

274 posts, read 237,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I’m 68. Ten more years would be fine. What I don’t want is to live too long. I don’t want to outlive my friends and family. I saw too much of that with my former job. I trust that God will give me the right number of years.

So yes, I have thought about it and I want to make the most of this part of my life
Exactly. I must say this scares me more than almost anything else. In the past year, I lost both of my parents, one of my nieces, and a close family friend. At age 61, I already feel as if I can't handle more losses of people I love.

I want to be around for my husband, sons and future grandchildren, but not so long that I'm the last of my generation. Not so long that I become a burden to others and even myself. I value quality over quantity.

I don't think about death on a daily basis, but if and when I do think about it, I hope and pray for a reasonable lifespan that doesn't involve years of widowhood, losses, illness, infirmity, dementia, etc.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:54 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
Sure I think about it at times. I'm the last of the family and will be 76 in April.

I have let that affect my dream of relocation, along with the fact I don't believe I can afford to move. I don't play the lottery and I don't gamble. Not much chance of a sudden increase in money.

Just take each day as it comes along. This morning was the first time I thanked God that I woke up.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:02 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I am about to turn 70. This past year, I’ve lost my sister and my sister in law. This makes me give more thought to the fact that I could die this year, or in 20 years. I don’t dwell on it, but I try to just make the most of every day. No matter how old we are, we are still only guaranteed today.
I have a new grandchild and I fondly hope to see her grow, but otherwise I hardly think about dying.
My only living relative of my parents generation is my 90 year old aunt. She is lovely and still has her marbles, so I hope I take after her.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:04 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That is something I refuse to do. If I see something I like and want, and if I can afford it, I will buy it. I remember my mom avoiding buying things as she got older. Couldn't even get her interested in going clothes shopping (which she previously enjoyed). She had that attitude of not needing anything new anymore. I am different. I like new. But I do try to only get things I will use. Don't want to add to useless clutter. I spend a lot of my time window shopping.
heck I used to love to go clothes shopping, now it gives me a headache. Shopping online is good though

Maybe your mom just didn't want to go anymore - gave her a headache.

I like new things but make sure I get rid of the old.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:04 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
I don't worry about it at all. When your numbers up it's up.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:07 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,058,661 times
The only time I think about dying is when someone relatively famous, who is my age or younger, passes away. It’s a fleeting, “there’s another one that I outlived” but it’s not a countdown.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:23 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
I do from time to time. I hope to have everything organized and have fulfilled my goals.

Of course those goals change as I get older - no longer want to make it to Antarctica for example - but then you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement