Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 02:05 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What's on my mind right now is another tenant in my building who has dementia. I just started a thread in the Caregiving forum asking if anyone has experience with Adult Protective Services. He is getting worse and has been wearing the same pajamas for weeks, and appears to be getting thinner. Supposedly he has a daughter who checks him, but he needs round the clock supervision and he's not getting it. I don't think he's bathing and maybe not even eating.

Management has just asked me to email them regularly to document his behavior. Apparently they are documenting and trying to get help for him, or to force his daughter to find him assisted living, I don't know.

But, I'm thinking I will call APS on Monday. Was wondering if that might do more harm than good. It's so sad. He always asks everyone what day it is, and now can't even find his own apartment. He has the number written on a piece of paper. So sad. I'm worried about him.
Snow, you have seven responses in your other thread, (mine is one of them) telling you that it is right and good for you to call APS for this man.

If you are still hesitant, consider what could happen to him in the time between now and Monday (which is a Federal holiday - some offices may be closed) I can only urge you to act now. Call 9-1-1 and tell them of this poor fellow's plight.

See something; say something. Make this your new motto, dear, and be a force for change in someone's life. Bless you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 04:21 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Snow, you have seven responses in your other thread, (mine is one of them) telling you that it is right and good for you to call APS for this man.

If you are still hesitant, consider what could happen to him in the time between now and Monday (which is a Federal holiday - some offices may be closed) I can only urge you to act now. Call 9-1-1 and tell them of this poor fellow's plight.

See something; say something. Make this your new motto, dear, and be a force for change in someone's life. Bless you.
Thank you, and yes, sorry for hijacking the thread, but hey, it said carte blanche. I had just started my thread and was perusing CD and found this one, so shared what was on my mind, per the topic, which was that I was really worrying about this man.

Just to let you all know here, too, in case you want to know, I tried calling Adult Protective Services but they are out of the office until Tuesday. I don't know this man's last name or the apartment number of his apartment, so emergency responders wouldn't know where to go. If I can find out which apartment is his before then, I'll call 911. Or, if I run into him in the hall again. I'll just stay with him and call 911.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 02-17-2018 at 04:32 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 05:06 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Thank you, and yes, sorry for hijacking the thread, but hey, it said carte blanche. I had just started my thread and was perusing CD and found this one, so shared what was on my mind, per the topic, which was that I was really worrying about this man.

Just to let you all know here, too, in case you want to know, I tried calling Adult Protective Services but they are out of the office until Tuesday. I don't know this man's last name or the apartment number of his apartment, so emergency responders wouldn't know where to go. If I can find out which apartment is his before then, I'll call 911. Or, if I run into him in the hall again. I'll just stay with him and call 911.
As a retired APS guy I safely can say give APS your info and ifAPS is doing their job they will contact you for the particulars. I’ve dealt with more than one dementia person. Removed a few and placed them a facility or set up in home care. Call APS again if no response by Thursday. If APS is lazy call the cops for a Welfare Check.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
911 is for emergencies. Find out the daughter's number and call her first. Then call APS if she won't help. Retired MSW here.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Welcome VTsnowbird, our new mod. We hope you enjoy your time with us !

Old 02-17-2018, 06:38 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
In my state, APS is for adults under 60.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:05 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
In my state, APS is for adults under 60.
Hmm. In CA APS is for folk over 65 or disabled adults 18-64. Are you sure? Standards are usually the same in every state. The Feds pay for most of APS, with States next.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:34 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
now you got me curious and I found this.

Origin

Late 17th century: French, literally ‘blank paper’ (i.e. a blank sheet on which to write whatever one wishes, particularly one's own terms for an agreement).

Thank you. Really, it's almost impossible to do carte blanche wrong, but it's been done here.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
911 is for emergencies. Find out the daughter's number and call her first. Then call APS if she won't help. Retired MSW here.
I have no idea how to reach the daughter. I'm just a tenant in the building he happens to live in. Just an observer with no access to particulars.

I've been expressing my concern to the apartment management since December 2, 2017. And all I see is him getting worse. Management has encouraged me to write an email every time I'm concerned or he has impeded my ability to use the elevators, etc., saying that if she's the only one complaining about his behavior, nobody will listen, basically.

At any rate, nothing has improved. So, I'll guess management has no power to change things. But, as I say, I don't know the daughter and have no way to call her. But, honestly, after witnessing her screaming at him at the top of her lungs, and things only getting worse since I witnessed that, I'd rather go over her head.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:20 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Quote:
I have no idea how to reach the daughter. I'm just a tenant in the building he happens to live in. Just an observer with no access to particulars.

I've been expressing my concern to the apartment management since December 2, 2017. And all I see is him getting worse. Management has encouraged me to write an email every time I'm concerned or he has impeded my ability to use the elevators, etc., saying that if she's the only one complaining about his behavior, nobody will listen, basically.

At any rate, nothing has improved. So, I'll guess management has no power to change things. But, as I say, I don't know the daughter and have no way to call her. But, honestly, after witnessing her screaming at him at the top of her lungs, and things only getting worse since I witnessed that, I'd rather go over her head.
I agree. The daughter does not have the skill set to take care of her father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement