Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,514,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't personally know anyone on that thread, though it is small. I'm a very well-connected person in Kingsport. Very little happens that I don't hear about.
My thought was more for your input rather than you getting something out of it. Like adding to an historical record. Might even garner interest from more posters there.

When I was a child I went to a barbershop college where those learning went through training. Haircuts were inexpensive, and iffy at times. The best part was that the chairs were lined up on two walls, probably about 20 to a side, and both walls had full length and full width mirrors. The "vanishing me" was fascinating and kept me occupied while getting the haircut.

As I got older it became harder to find a barber. For a while one of my friends had a shop, but it failed. Too many salons for competition.

So for the last 40 years or so I have opted for having beautiful women cut my hair and beard. {Shrug}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 01:16 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,355,327 times
Quote:
I don't want a gun argument on this post. I made a passing mention of the young barber open carrying. It really isn't relevant! Stop arguing about it! That point is virtually inconsequential to the larger story I'm telling.

When I contribute thoughtful, honest material, it gets no traction. When I post "crap," the threads go on for weeks. I can churn out either or, and you bet I'll keep churning out the "crap" that draws views. The deeper "SC" Americana posts - well, they'll fade into the background. "SC" will be fine, but "SC" has his owns views compared to me personally. Maybe I should just be "SC" and migrate on.

If this is what I get for well-written, honest, real material, maybe it's time for me to stop being an original contributor, and just reply to what others write. This disappoints me.
I know some people enjoy your posts. I don't, because I'm here for retirement advice, not "material" about Americana and "discussion questions" from a 30-something person who is writing a book or trying to get views or whatever you're doing. However, when I do read your posts, I notice that you try to tightly control the discussion and start chastising the group if they veer away from your desired anecdotes. Dude, you can't tell people what they can and can't discuss, as long as it's not breaking the rules of the forum. In light of the current news, the point about the gun was certainly NOT inconsequential to many people.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:45 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,963,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I notice that you try to tightly control the discussion and start chastising the group if they veer away from your desired anecdotes. Dude, you can't tell people what they can and can't discuss, as long as it's not breaking the rules of the forum. In light of the current news, the point about the gun was certainly NOT inconsequential to many people.
Yeah, Unfortunate Rule #1 About Posting in a Public Forum: You don't get to control where the conversation goes after your post.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:31 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,465,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Yeah, Unfortunate Rule #1 About Posting in a Public Forum: You don't get to control where the conversation goes after your post.
That's why we have blogs. Bu then there would less exposure to the topics. I enjoyed this one especially.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:35 AM

8,623 posts, read 4,449,955 times
Quote:
At some point, many of us realize it's best to pass the torch to the next generation. I want to talk to you about things as American as apple pie and Thanksgiving - barbering and baseball.

I've had the same barber for roughly a decade when...

Ed has been more of a grandfather to me than one of my biological grandfathers, and we've always gotten along well. We're both baseball nuts, and love to talk baseball statistics. We're both Reds fans. He grew up in eastern Kentucky. We share a common background and views. Ed is a World War II veteran and the definition of Americana.

Clarence cut my hair back in December. Clarence had a lot of hard words to say about Ed when ...

Ed called me back this week, and wants to go to breakfast at Shoney's before I go to work Wednesday morning. We're going to meet at 6:45 that morning for breakfast. He's a good man, basically the second grandpa I never had (even though one of my real grandpas is alive) and ...

One of my cousins is friends with a barber around our age - Ron is probably early-mid 30s. I went to him for a haircut last Saturday. Ron has worked for bigger local shops but struck out on his own a few weeks ago. He cuts hair openly carrying a pistol. He's very personable and gets on well with the kids. The guy was made to be a barber.

I'm officially passing the torch now. I've mostly had barbers old enough to be my grandfather. Ed was basically the last man standing of ...

In the short time I've known Ron, he's carrying the good traditions forward. They couldn't look more different. Ed is a nondescript 91 year old. Ron is a guy in his 30s openly carrying, heavily tattooed, with many rings and jewelry. Yet both of them are great barbers and better men.

As an older person, have you yet felt the need to pass the torch? How are you going about it?
I worked for the government for some of my recent years, and when I retired from the job that paid me money, no one cared enough about what I was there for to take the torch, so I just bid them adiau, but what most people miss is that we need to pass the torch concerning our values. Look at the difference between Ed and Clarence. It wasn't appearance or work ethic or line of work, it was attitude. And probably underlying values. I would bet, value wise, you would have as much in common with the tatted, pistol packing guy than Clarence.

You pointed out that Ed was a WW2 veteran, known as the Greatest Generation. Could you imagine, if we had gone to war with a bunch of hopolophobes like the one that got offended by Ron in this thread? We are never more than a generation from Americana being relegated to the scrap heap of history, and if we don't pass along American Values to the next generation, ours will be the Last American Generation.

When I retired from the job that made me money, it was so that I could go full time into the job that God keeps sending me places for: to pass the torch of our values to the next generation.

You just keep on posting and starting threads, and don't let the snowflakes and hopolophobes get you down.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:02 PM

37,249 posts, read 60,994,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
... Anybody wearing a weapon in a retail store has a problem or a (bad) attitude.
It is not uncommon around here.

I see people who Open Carry when they go grocery shopping, or out to a restaurant.

I used to cut hair on the subs I served on, and I cut my own hair for a long time. I have gone into hair stylist shops a couple of times for a hair cut. It is different being in a room with females, and they always want to trim my beard. I will never do that again. Twice in my life, I have let females 'trim' my beard, and both times they removed it. After how long it takes to grow out a full beard, I am not about to let some Philly 'trim' it all away, again.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:13 PM

16,365 posts, read 30,083,242 times
Quote:
Younger male barbers are hard to find around here. Barbering is, supposedly, a dying industry. Many men are going to Great Clips for an $8 cut rather than a local men's barber who knows his patrons. One of my cousins is friends with a barber around our age - Ron is probably early-mid 30s. I went to him for a haircut last Saturday. Ron has worked for bigger local shops but struck out on his own a few weeks ago. He cuts hair openly carrying a pistol. He's very personable and gets on well with the kids. The guy was made to be a barber.?
I don't mind paying $20 for a haircut at a barber shop ... if I get a good haircut. However, you go to some of the old guys, you have to remind them to shave your neck, trim your eyebrows, and a couple other things. Too often, you are paying $20 for what is essentially an $8 haircut.

As for younger male barbers, they are many of them around here, especially in Hispanic and Asian areas. Do remember, a lot of the older guys learned their trade in the Armed Services.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:33 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,985,498 times
I think that this thread is delightful.

And I always feel reassured when I see a person with a weapon. One just never knows what's going to blow in on Main Street. It's not a big deal. Its a cultural perspective and in our nations history one worth it's weight in gold....at least to me.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:38 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,194,701 times
Quote:
I don't want a gun argument on this post. I made a passing mention of the young barber open carrying. It really isn't relevant! Stop arguing about it! That point is virtually inconsequential to the larger story I'm telling.

When I contribute thoughtful, honest material, it gets no traction. When I post "crap," the threads go on for weeks. I can churn out either or, and you bet I'll keep churning out the "crap" that draws views. The deeper "SC" Americana posts - well, they'll fade into the background. "SC" will be fine, but "SC" has his owns views compared to me personally. Maybe I should just be "SC" and migrate on.

If this is what I get for well-written, honest, real material, maybe it's time for me to stop being an original contributor, and just reply to what others write. This disappoints me.
Take note that in your irritation, by quoting Crash, you jumped on a guy that was essentially on "your side" and had complimented your story.

I enjoyed your story and like that there is no rigid rule of topics in this forum. Topics branch off much like they can in everyday conversation – that's just the nature of people.

When I was pretty young, sometimes my dad would take my brother and me with him to the barber shop on Saturday morning. As a girl, I didn't get my hair cut there but occasionally, my brother did. I remember the smells of the hair tonic and shaving lotions, the buzz of the clippers and the laughter of men in their space. There were some comic books mixed into the assortment of hunting and fishing and car magazines in the pile on a side table. Not to mention a couple of gumball machines which made my day for the cost of a penny or two.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:40 PM

8,623 posts, read 4,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I think that this thread is delightful.

And I always feel reassured when I see a person with a weapon. One just never knows what's going to blow in on Main Street. It's not a big deal. Its a cultural perspective and in our nations history one worth it's weight in gold....at least to me.
Same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement