Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:48 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't talk about a lot of the subject matter I talk about on this forum (not just retirement) in real life. Right now, I guess you could describe my life as "heavily regimented." I go to work, go to the gym, grab something to eat (if I'm lucky, I leave town or do outdoors stuff on the weekend), and it seems like I'm not getting much else done. Frankly, I really don't have anyone to talk to about more than superficial topics.

By posting on these forums, we're all kind of an alter-ego to what we normally do/say in real life.

I think the whole cheap Great Clips/Sport Clips think has kind of eaten into the market overall, but locally, the problem seems to be more about most of the barbers being Silents or older, and both the barbers and their customer base are dying off. I've heard that a lot of "kids" end up being taken by their mothers to the "beauty shops" and never getting exposed to a traditional men's barber. I don't know if it's true, but it's what I've heard bandied about.

I'm thinking Americana in the Norman Rockwell, 1950s style. I grew up in Appalachia. I've lived in the Midwest. I grew up in a traditional, nuclear family. I have virtually nothing in common with an immigrant guy around my age who grew up raised by a single mom in Oakland. His worldview isn't my worldview. Neither is right or wrong, just prior experience.
My 40 year old son has never been to a barber. Barber shops are almost non-existent and we didn’t search them out to use, we went for convenience. The only person I’ve known who still went to a barber was my Dad, starting and ending in a small farm town outside of Indianapolis.

Barber shops will soon be gone, like my grandfather’s razor strop that always hung from a peg on his bathroom door. Things change.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-20-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 10:52 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:
At some point, many of us realize it's best to pass the torch to the next generation. I want to talk to you about things as American as apple pie and Thanksgiving - barbering and baseball.

I've had the same barber for roughly a decade when I've lived in the area. He turned 91 back in October, and founded the shop in the early 1960s. I'm a simple person as far as haircuts go these days - I've lost quite a bit of hair since I was a young man, and the remaining hair doesn't grow in a uniform manner. I just buzz it down with neatly shaved sideburns and edges, and I don't like loose hairs. I could pass for a Marine if you only saw my face. Sadly, I'm too chubby to be admissible for service.

The elderly barber last cut my hair the first week of December. He seemed fine, but his wife has had health issues over the last few years. Years ago, he sold the shop to a relative spring chicken, who is in his early 70s now. I don't think the older man expected to continue working so long. I went back to the barbershop the week after Christmas, and Clarence (the 70 something) told me that Ed (the 91 year old) decided to hang it up. Ed has been more of a grandfather to me than one of my biological grandfathers, and we've always gotten along well. We're both baseball nuts, and love to talk baseball statistics. We're both Reds fans. He grew up in eastern Kentucky. We share a common background and views. Ed is a World War II veteran and the definition of Americana.

Clarence cut my hair back in December. Clarence had a lot of hard words to say about Ed when I was sitting in the barber's chair. Ed didn't work hard enough. Ed laid out all the time toward the end. Everything negative you can think of. Clarence is a Democrat - Ed and me are Republicans. Ed is twenty years older than Clarence. Clarence never served. I was really shocked that he just unloaded on me about Ed in that way, knowing Ed and me are close. It upset me. I wanted to knock the taste of his mouth for his rudeness and disrespect. Ed is always smiling and positive, even in his 90s. Clarence is much more negative. In my mind, Clarence will never be half the man Ed is. They have one other barber named Toby, but Toby has been dead for several years now.

Ed called me back this week, and wants to go to breakfast at Shoney's before I go to work Wednesday morning. We're going to meet at 6:45 that morning for breakfast. He's a good man, basically the second grandpa I never had (even though one of my real grandpas is alive) and it's the least I can do for him. His only grandson is my age and we went to school together, but he moved to Arizona years ago and never talks to Ed. He's been hinting around about going to a Reds game. He's reasonably well now, but has a handicapped sticker. How many more years does he have left? I'm going to ask him Wednesday if he wants to go to opening weekend. If he does, I'm taking a couple days PTO and taking him to Cincinnati. At 91, there's probably not that much time left to get out and do things like this. We have to enjoy the time we have.

Younger male barbers are hard to find around here. Barbering is, supposedly, a dying industry. Many men are going to Great Clips for an $8 cut rather than a local men's barber who knows his patrons. One of my cousins is friends with a barber around our age - Ron is probably early-mid 30s. I went to him for a haircut last Saturday. Ron has worked for bigger local shops but struck out on his own a few weeks ago. He cuts hair openly carrying a pistol. He's very personable and gets on well with the kids. The guy was made to be a barber.

I'm officially passing the torch now. I've mostly had barbers old enough to be my grandfather. Ed was basically the last man standing of that generation. He's decided to hang it up and enjoy the time he has left. His business partner might be rude, but that doesn't mean people forget Ed. He's loved and valued, but his time has passed. Ron bought the building of a barber who has been retired for many years. Ron is the next generation, he's close to my age, and he is who I will be going to. I'd love to get Ron and Ed together for a picture for the history of Kingsport. In the short time I've known Ron, he's carrying the good traditions forward. They couldn't look more different. Ed is a nondescript 91 year old. Ron is a guy in his 30s openly carrying, heavily tattooed, with many rings and jewelry. Yet both of them are great barbers and better men.

As an older person, have you yet felt the need to pass the torch? How are you going about it?
First may I just say I loved reading this post?

I am not an "older person" yet, I'm halfway through middle-age, so in the meantime I am going to look for some torches to pass. I don't think I have any! When I was a kid my dad took me to a local barbershop, and I had "my guy", and we went there once a month for probably 10 years. "My guy" watched me grow up. He remembered what sports I played, what I got for Xmas, trips we took. The father-son barbershop tradition was just one of many that my dad used to build our bond. These kinds of establishments have really been eradicated by the big corporate chains, where the staff turns over constantly. It is just another chip at the traditions that establish a sense of community.

Quote:
I don't want a gun argument on this post. I made a passing mention of the young barber open carrying. It really isn't relevant! Stop arguing about it! That point is virtually inconsequential to the larger story I'm telling.

When I contribute thoughtful, honest material, it gets no traction. When I post "crap," the threads go on for weeks. I can churn out either or, and you bet I'll keep churning out the "crap" that draws views. The deeper "SC" Americana posts - well, they'll fade into the background. "SC" will be fine, but "SC" has his owns views compared to me personally. Maybe I should just be "SC" and migrate on.

If this is what I get for well-written, honest, real material, maybe it's time for me to stop being an original contributor, and just reply to what others write. This disappoints me.
Well, I really hope you don't stop writing genuine posts like this just because of these few trolls that showed up to promote their anti-gun sentiments, or the nitpickers that accused you of writing fiction in the wrong forum.

Maybe we need to request the Mods to create a new category for actually interesting, contemplative posts, with strict rules to keep the riff-raff off the threads? I'll have a think on it and may PM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post

What exactly is the "definition of Americana"? I know some folks jumped on the gun detail, this was another one that kind of struck me as a bit provocative. Who qualifies and who doesn't?

Re: the previous two posts... I've read a lot of SC's posts in many other threads and I didn't have reason to believe he was making things up elsewhere. So not sure what to make of that quote.
It should only be "provocative" to people that either don't understand the term "Americana" or who have some kind of political ax to grind about immigration.

Americana, simply, are artifacts that reflect the history, culture, and traditions of the American people.
A person such as described, as Trex2 correctly noted, is a member of the "Greatest Generation", and a living embodiment of a bygone era that is unfortunately constantly disrespected and denigrated by the political and foreign interlopers as irrelevant. Many of us disagree. We like hearing their stories and celebrating their experiences and contributions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Since we have veered over into Appalachian culture, another really good book on that, although more from a 1920's standpoint, is Horace Kephart's "Our Southern Highlanders". Guns, moonshine, relations with "flatlanders" (Did you know that if a flatlander moves into hillbilly country, because he has "book learnin'", he becomes the de-facto local doctor? Kephart relates how this happened to him.)

In a way, I sort of think I have carried on some of the traditions of my paternal grandfather, a "Hillbilly", more than my Dad did. More into independent living.

If the electric power goes down, even in the coldest part of the winter, I am hardly affected. Light some kerosene lanterns, keep the woodstove going as usual. A country boy can survive.
Have you ever read Rocket Boys, by Homer Hickam? It was republished under the title October Sky with a movie of the same name coming later. Really interesting story. Also "All Over But the Shoutin'" by Rick Bragg? Both amazing auto-biographical personal tales of men who came of age in the Appalachian experience and culture.

Last edited by phantompilot; 02-20-2018 at 11:05 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 11:47 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Unless this guy's shop has a problem with poisonous snakes getting in I wouldn't go near him because of whatever point he's trying to prove by this asinine pose.
Why would a barber need to carry a gun while cutting hair? It sounds like one of those gun nut losers that act a lot like a toddler carrying a stuffed animal everywhere.

I avoid old school barbers like the plaque. They all seem to be social misfits and I get tired of hearing their sexist and racist comments. There is a reason they are fading out of existence.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:12 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Well, I really hope you don't stop writing genuine posts like this just because of these few trolls that showed up to promote their anti-gun sentiments, or the nitpickers that accused you of writing fiction in the wrong forum.
It's not an accusation. Did you somehow miss the post where the OP himself stated that he created the character "SC" and that when he posts as "SC," the views he writes about are not necessarily his own?

He even went on to admit that sometimes he posts "honest material" and sometimes he posts threads that are "crap." Now I'm sure that some of his fanboys don't care, but I think others are going to feel cheated and used now that they know definitively that they have been manipulated by "SC" into caring and conversing with him about issues and concerns that were pure fiction.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:15 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
OP, I enoyed your post very much.

But No, I didn't pass the torch, and I loved the work I did for almost 40 years as an economics researcher/consultant. My 3 kids chose their professions, an electric utility consulant, a science journalist, and a chemist. I supported their choices, even when it took 2-3 tries. I am proud of all of them.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:47 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
First may I just say I loved reading this post?

I am not an "older person" yet, I'm halfway through middle-age, so in the meantime I am going to look for some torches to pass. I don't think I have any! When I was a kid my dad took me to a local barbershop, and I had "my guy", and we went there once a month for probably 10 years. "My guy" watched me grow up. He remembered what sports I played, what I got for Xmas, trips we took. The father-son barbershop tradition was just one of many that my dad used to build our bond. These kinds of establishments have really been eradicated by the big corporate chains, where the staff turns over constantly. It is just another chip at the traditions that establish a sense of community.

Maybe we need to request the Mods to create a new category for actually interesting, contemplative posts, with strict rules to keep the riff-raff off the threads? I'll have a think on it and may PM you.

I think that's a great idea. Just keep it out of the Retirement forum.

In light of the fact that "SC" is now admitting he's just making stuff up, apparently because he has no other life, it does seem clear that his posts belong somewhere else.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:35 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Serious Conversation, well written. Can't remember the last time I was in a real barber shop but I could see the one in your post. I remember the one my grandfather took me to, next to the Whitley Hotel in Montgomery Alabama ca. 1948. Old leather swivel chair that tilted all the way back so he could get his shave. A padded red leather board for me to sit up high enough for the barber to get to my head.
Thanks.
I agree. I enjoyed SC's first post to start this thread. Those of us who are a little older definitely have seen things come and go such as a traditional barbershop. I probably live too much in the past as well and get nostalgic myself. We generally should look at the present and future and take notes of the important things in our past. Lots of things in our daily lives become things of the past, particularly if we have most of our lifetimes behind us already.

Someone else mentioned that SC should blog or write for online outlets. Some of his other threads are generally enjoyable to read. To the OP, If you have not already, you should look into that possibility for making some extra money or something.

I'd like to keep some traditions going as well, but I don't know what I'd do to keep "the torch alight" for the next generations. I really enjoy history and I think we should do our best to preserve it, the good along with the bad to a reasonable degree. It would probably not be running a business based on a old business model, but perhaps preserving a few everyday items from a bygone era.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:00 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Speaking for yourself kiddo! I post about my life, my opinions, my view of the world just as what I experience, think and live in real life and not as what my alter-ego would.

This is a retirement discussion forum and not a fantasy, fiction or game forum. People of all walks of life share their real life experience, concerns, worries, joys and sometimes pains and sorrows. I hang around and participate because it's a helpful, supportive and friendly community of 'real' people.

Of course, there are the occasional trolls and pretenders but they usually disappear quickly. I sincerely hope that your 'alter-ego' is neither a troll nor a pretender.
Totally AGREE! I don't understand WHY anyone would desire to come here to engage in a "Serious Conversation" with an alter-ego. Seems a bit pathological to me. When we discuss actual and pressing issues in our lives, it's a demonstration of trust - of reaching out to and sharing with strangers and NOT with some random "phantom" for whom these issues are a matter fictional fodder.

He should go and take a Creative Writing class somewhere if he needs that type of outlet for praise and validity. HIGHLY UNETHICAL, IMO.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:35 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
My 40 year old son has never been to a barber. Barber shops are almost non-existent and we didn’t search them out to use, we went for convenience. The only person I’ve known who still went to a barber was my Dad, starting and ending in a small farm town outside of Indianapolis.

Barber shops will soon be gone, like my grandfather’s razor strop that always hung from a peg on his bathroom door. Things change.
I asked my spouse about this yesterday, as to why he does not patronize a barber. He said it was too expensive for what you get (he is rather frugal) and named a couple local barbershops and their prices. He also echoed what someone else here posted, about how even when he was a kid and his dad took him to the barber, everyone else in the building was "over a certain age". And that most of them were there to just shoot the breeze, not even getting a haircut. And this was decades ago. He speculated that nowadays many men just don't have (or find) time to sit around and chat in a setting like that, what with family obligations and such.

Quote:
I'm officially passing the torch now.

As an older person, have you yet felt the need to pass the torch? How are you going about it?
Meant to ask this earlier... how exactly are you passing the torch, or what torch is it that you are passing? I think of "passing the torch" as transferring a skill or tradition or responsibility that you have to someone else. I'm not clear on how deciding to change hair stylists fits into that definition.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:58 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I missed that when reading the original post. I wouldn't go there either, and certainly wouldn't take a kid there.

Why would anyone need a gun in a barber shop? He's already got a deadly weapon in his hand most of the time -- scissors.
They're only a deadly weapon in my wife's hands. You should see my hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement