Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 01:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
He's explained that he sometimes posts things just to generate conversation, not that he personally cares about the topic. And that is obvious to me in his posts in the Retirement forum. I don't know or care about what he posts elsewhere. Think about what a ridiculous waste of his time this is (remembering he's a 30-something with a full-time job). That whole blathering story about the barber was a set-up for a question about passing the torch, about which he really cares nothing, he's just getting his rocks off on how many views they get. Believe me, I received MANY direct messages agreeing with me that his posts are ridiculous and that he's a windbag.

BUT if there are people here who find his posts interesting and actually want to spend their valuable time responding to a post that he doesn't give two whits about, I sure don't get it.
This is the first post that has made sense to me. I think. So instead of just putting a question or statement out there, it’s put in kind of a story form which I kind of suspected. At least some things are. Others are true reflections of the OP’s opinions and personality. My problem with that is the times they conflict with one another and the reader doesn’t know which is fact and which is fiction.

Well either way, there’s no rule against it. And it’s not that big a deal. I would prefer true opinion to story telling but to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 01:56 PM

260 posts, read 234,586 times
It is self evident from the many posts that the OP derives pleasure and affirmation from devising an inviting title and telling his narrative in order to stimulate a dialogue to the bemusement of some and the discussion catalyst of others.

It is a fruitless exercise and inexplicable to many, to question why this young man at his stage of his life derives satisfaction from this exercise but it is a harmless provocation of discussion if that is what you seek.

Each of us has the choice to ignore his posts, which is my typical default position, or respond which, untypically, I find myself doing!

Old 02-24-2018, 02:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:

he's just getting his rocks off on how many views they get.
Believe me, I received MANY direct messages agreeing with me that his posts are ridiculous and that he's a windbag.

BUT if there are people here who find his posts interesting and actually want to spend their valuable time responding to a post that he doesn't give two whits about, I sure don't get it.
what you call a windbag - he and a few other similar windbags collect and collected the $500 prize winner!
just a point of fact LOL (not taking sides in this post)

Last edited by matisse12; 02-24-2018 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 05:54 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
"SC" and "Serious Conversation" are interchangeable. If there is confusion about that, I'm sorry.
This, and the rest of your post, are only confusing
or offensive to those who deliberately confused or
are professionally offended.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:38 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:

Well, how are we to know which posts he cares about and which ones he doesn't?

Old 02-24-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
what you call a windbag - he and a few other similar windbags collect and collected the $500 prize winner!
just a point of fact LOL (not taking sides in this post)
Windbags receive a lot of responses. Responses are good for business.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:55 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Poisonous snakes are easy to deal with. It's the venomous ones that should worry you.
As to why he is packing, there is a possibility for any retail business, especially a cash based one, that some day some ignorant passerby will walk in, yell "This is a holdup!" only to discover:
"Wrong Barbershop, Dummy"
There's actually a video clip circulating on Facebook depicting this scenario. It was a customer that was concealed carrying, but the bad guy didn't see it coming!!!

Old 02-24-2018, 09:29 PM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
He's explained that he sometimes posts things just to generate conversation, not that he personally cares about the topic. And that is obvious to me in his posts in the Retirement forum. I don't know or care about what he posts elsewhere. Think about what a ridiculous waste of his time this is (remembering he's a 30-something with a full-time job). That whole blathering story about the barber was a set-up for a question about passing the torch, about which he really cares nothing, he's just getting his rocks off on how many views they get. Believe me, I received MANY direct messages agreeing with me that his posts are ridiculous and that he's a windbag.

I work in IT. I'm at a computer all day at work. I have downtime. I post at work. It's a way to pass the time on slow days. I had a very busy week this week and didn't post as much.

I'm rarely posting after hours or on weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This is the first post that has made sense to me. I think. So instead of just putting a question or statement out there, it’s put in kind of a story form which I kind of suspected. At least some things are. Others are true reflections of the OP’s opinions and personality. My problem with that is the times they conflict with one another and the reader doesn’t know which is fact and which is fiction.

Well either way, there’s no rule against it. And it’s not that big a deal. I would prefer true opinion to story telling but to each their own.
The barbers are real. The experience was real. I'll tell a story based on my experiences to get a discussion going. I'd much rather have a story getting a discussion point across than another useless listicle.

There are lots of things I may post about that I don't have a serious personal opinion on. A lot of times I'm just commenting off the cuff.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I work in IT. I'm at a computer all day at work. I have downtime. I post at work. It's a way to pass the time on slow days. I had a very busy week this week and didn't post as much.

I'm rarely posting after hours or on weekends.

The barbers are real. The experience was real. I'll tell a story based on my experiences to get a discussion going. I'd much rather have a story getting a discussion point across than another useless listicle.

There are lots of things I may post about that I don't have a serious personal opinion on. A lot of times I'm just commenting off the cuff.
Well you can get a discussion going perfectly well without doing that. If it makes you happy, fine. You have to accept the fact if you do that people might wonder which part is fact and which is fiction. Writing in this manner might make them not want to join in. Then again others might find your stories interesting but even they, knowing parts are made up, might not take your posts seriously.

This is where I have somewhat of a problem. I see most people of similar age coming here seeking age related advice and help and you seem to take it all very lightly as material for your amusement and background for your stories. Others may not see it that way and that’s five but I do and I have reason to.

Still people here do enjoy your stories so a I guess the entertainment value is worth something.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:26 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well you can get a discussion going perfectly well without doing that. If it makes you happy, fine. You have to accept the fact if you do that people might wonder which part is fact and which is fiction. Writing in this manner might make them not want to join in. Then again others might find your stories interesting but even they, knowing parts are made up, might not take your posts seriously.

This is where I have somewhat of a problem. I see most people of similar age coming here seeking age related advice and help and you seem to take it all very lightly as material for your amusement and background for your stories. Others may not see it that way and that’s five but I do and I have reason to.

Still people here do enjoy your stories so a I guess the entertainment value is worth something.
That's my issue with the whole thing, Minervah. Most of us come here looking for retirement advice or information or yes, to swap stories. We look at the title of the threads and decide which ones interest us. Some (most) of "SC"'s titles include a provocative "discussion question" like "Is it really a young person's game?", and almost always starts off with a long story about his uncle, or aunt, or a couple he knows, or the barbers, etc. Only to find out in the end, it really has nothing to do with SC. The aunt didn't ask him for advice...the couple didn't ask him for advice...he has nothing to do with barbering nor does he have a torch to pass..etc. In the beginning, I used to fall for it and chime in with my thoughts. But then when I started to realize there was a pattern to all his posts, and that he was only in his 30's, I started to wonder why...why did he care what his aunt did or where the couple moved, and what he was getting out of this. (Well, now I know he got 500 bucks from C-D...hmmm...and maybe he uses our responses for a blog or possible book.)

Now I must admit, I helped him get that 500 bucks because I do often read his posts when I see he's started a thread. But more along the lines of, "Oh, what ridiculous blathering story is he going to tell this time....". He has certainly revealed in his responses to this thread that he has, uh, how do I put this delicately...some issues ("Mr Smooth", "my SC hat", etc...LOL). In addition to the fact that he says he posts some "honest material" as well as "crap posts"...and hasn't explained the difference.

Oh well...I guess if people here still want to help him get $500 a quarter, instead of an actual retired person, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement