Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 04:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
2. Mild winter (a few snows a few inches at a time is ideal);
3. Not hot or humid summer;
4. Conservative (fiscally AND politically);
5. Reasonably priced housing;
6. Low cost of living;
7. Possible waterfront living available;
8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.

I'm having a hard time finding places to go that might match this wish list.

Thanks!

EDJ

Heaven will be the only place where you find all of those, but I am not sure if God is a conservative or liberal, so you might be disappointed there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
I'm beginning to think that unless one has a great deal of money, paradise does not exist. If I were affluent, I would probably stay put in PA (retirement tax friendly but horrific RE taxes) and either have a "vacation home" in Maine for the horrific summers here and/or one in the Carolinas to escape the bone-penetrating cold.

Barring that, it seems like a crap-shoot...well, okay - more realistically, it seems as though there will always be something unpleasant to defy the "Paradise" title: suffocating humidity, paralysing cold snaps, mega-bugs, crowds, traffic. I'm beginning to see that Paradise is a state of mind. And that particular "state" is one which we create ourselves and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:15 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
What does the OP define as “reasonably priced housing”?

Zillow says my house is worth $303k. I can walk to the beach though I usually ride my bike. My cat brings garden snakes and frogs through the cat door occasionally but that’s it for reptiles. 90F is unusual in the summer. It snows in the winter but rarely lasts long because the warm ocean temperatures moderate the climate. Property tax mill rate is about $10 per thousand. Middle of the pack nationally for tax burden. Republican governor who is well liked.

Oh yeah, Massachusetts. The OP can be the grumpy retired guy who thinks the world is going to hell. I have a neighbor like that.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:28 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
What I find funny is that most people put up with not living in paradise for 65 years but when they retire they expect to have it just because they aren't working anymore. The fact that I won't be working anymore is paradise in itself, never mind everything else. All that other stuff is icing on the cake.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:59 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What I find funny is that most people put up with not living in paradise for 65 years but when they retire they expect to have it just because they aren't working anymore. The fact that I won't be working anymore is paradise in itself, never mind everything else. All that other stuff is icing on the cake.
EXCELLENT POINT!!!!!

Old 02-18-2018, 07:18 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Not really. Most people live somewhere because their career put them there, not because that is the #1 place in the world they’d want to live. As soon as you stop working, it opens up a world of possibilities only limited by your bank balance.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:20 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
2. Mild winter (a few snows a few inches at a time is ideal);
3. Not hot or humid summer;
4. Conservative (fiscally AND politically);
5. Reasonably priced housing;
6. Low cost of living;
7. Possible waterfront living available;
8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.

I'm having a hard time finding places to go that might match this wish list.

Thanks!

EDJ
Someone...anyone...can we just make this a permanent sticky? But maybe two versions, one for politically conservative leanings and the other for liberal?

Old 02-18-2018, 07:25 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Someone...anyone...can we just make this a permanent sticky? But maybe two versions, one for politically conservative leanings and the other for liberal?
Then there needs to be 4 stickies. The other two are those who are retiring on a limited budget and need to watch costs and those that are fairly wealthy. Retirement for those two categories are as different as night and day. I've often said there needs to be a separate forum for those retiring like the rich and famous.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:40 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I have to...

Willoughby, next stop Willoughby.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:49 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
No such place exists for liberals nor conservatives.

But I would like to see one where both could live together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement