Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:03 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times

Advertisements

If you can't say no, and some people's cultures make it impossible to say no, then move to a much smaller place. That way there won't be any room for them to move in with you.

I have known people who worked hard, saved, planned. Their relatives didn't, and were always coming to them for money. So they up and moved 3000 miles away, to get away from the relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 09:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
More than one of my wife's siblings has indicated they want/expect to move in with my wife and I as we approach and enter retirement. They will all be entering retirement dead broke. My wife's response is that she wants to move to Thailand and volunteer in an Elephant Rescue to get away from her family, their constant using of her and emotional toil they dump on her (us). I reminded my wife that she does not like Thai food, but she said she didn't care about that.

Anyone else have this or similar situation? We can't be the only ones faced with a duty to self and duty to dysfunctional 'family' dilemma.

We live three hours away but fear that isn't far enough. I countered Thailand with a Red Deer preserve in New Zealand.
One word. No. No IS a complete sentence.

I'm not near retirement, but I moved away from family on purpose. I couldn't deal with the life sucking leaches anymore. Amazing how a little distances changes things! And now I have an excuse for just about everything....Oh I can't go to that event because I live x number of hours away, have to work, and have to take care of my elderly, sickly dogs. So sorry....not really!

Old 02-19-2018, 09:13 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
More than one of my wife's siblings has indicated they want/expect to move in with my wife and I as we approach and enter retirement. They will all be entering retirement dead broke. My wife's response is that she wants to move to Thailand and volunteer in an Elephant Rescue to get away from her family, their constant using of her and emotional toil they dump on her (us). I reminded my wife that she does not like Thai food, but she said she didn't care about that.

Anyone else have this or similar situation? We can't be the only ones faced with a duty to self and duty to dysfunctional 'family' dilemma.

We live three hours away but fear that isn't far enough. I countered Thailand with a Red Deer preserve in New Zealand.
Tell them you want to renew your relationship together and live a quiet life. Suggest that maybe they can find a place together elsewhere.

It will be difficult but you can do it. Be strong for your wife. Let them blame you. She sounds like she needs to be protected.

We have a timeshare and get a wonderful vacation every year. Several people have hinted that they wouldn't mind going with us. My answer to them is that we like to get away and vacation alone and when you have company there is no time for you to rest.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I just want to say that no one in our families has tried to or ever mentioned moving in with us in retirement. I have never known of any cases like what the OP describes.

I do acknowledge that it might be hard knowing how to deal with family members who need financial help.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Quote:
That is the most accurate assessment of the opinions expressed. We have not allowed ourselves to become doormats. We are tired of the continually expressed opinion that somehow 'we owe them' because we haven't squandered all our opportunities.

Two stories come to mind:
  • The Parable of the Talents in the Bible
  • The children's story of The Little Red Hen.

I see The Little Red Hen as the most appropriate for this situation. We have already decided we will be the Little Red Hen and her Rooster!

So apparently Ourselves, Lodestar, and a couple of Lodestar's friends are the only ones who have to endure this. Or a lot of others are simply keeping their fingers off their keyboards. I am guessing the second sentence is the most accurate.
The issue here is not the idea that siblings asked, its the fact that they CONTINUALLY express that opinion. That issue is entirely on the OP. I have never had someone continually ask me something if I said no the first time....and meant it. I think the OP and/or his wife just havent expressed this to the siblings. If they had of, there would be no "continual" asking.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:11 AM

530 posts, read 820,596 times
I have a sib who has proffered the idea that we purchase homes near to one another but not outright moving in and freeloading on someone. Buying homes to be close to family is very reasonable IMHO, though I wouldn't do it personally.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:39 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
I have a sib who has proffered the idea that we purchase homes near to one another but not outright moving in and freeloading on someone. Buying homes to be close to family is very reasonable IMHO, though I wouldn't do it personally.
You couldn't pay me to live close to family! Far too much drama and demands! I now live 3 hours away...far enough away where we're no longer bugged about every little thing. Far enough away where we don't have to attend every little function. Close enough that we can be there for true emergencies.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:01 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You couldn't pay me to live close to family! Far too much drama and demands! I now live 3 hours away...far enough away where we're no longer bugged about every little thing. Far enough away where we don't have to attend every little function. Close enough that we can be there for true emergencies.
We lived next door to my aunt and uncle until I was about 11.

That experience was instrumental in forming certain lifelong likes and dislikes, and not in a good way.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:08 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I'm wondering why the relatives set your retirement as their "move in" date. Why then? If they were serious, I'd think they'd have moved in before this. I think they're yanking your chain. Just sayin'.

Once you're retired you can wait on your "guests" hand and foot all day and all night.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:54 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
We have relatives who occasionally need some help paying for groceries or incidentals, but they've never tried to move in with us. They did, however, move in with each other and pooled their resources. As a result, the requests for assistance have decreased a lot. You might consider telling your wife's relatives point blank they are NOT moving in with you, but they should consider moving in with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement