Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 08:12 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Things in the retirement forum often. That is because they are accused of bragging and their threads are derailed by “poor me” posts. We have saved, have pensions, insurance, savings, social security and are enjoying this time.
I don't think it's necessarily "poor me" as much as a lot of people really don't have that many options. Those folks are probably not the types to be on this board though.

I know a lot of good people in the $15/hr range. They don't know much about retirement planning. Even if they did, their salary isn't to a point where they have much to save.

There are a lot of folks out there who are going to struggle, even though they didn't make many "errors."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't think it's necessarily "poor me" as much as a lot of people really don't have that many options. Those folks are probably not the types to be on this board though.

I know a lot of good people in the $15/hr range. They don't know much about retirement planning. Even if they did, their salary isn't to a point where they have much to save.

There are a lot of folks out there who are going to struggle, even though they didn't make many "errors."
Good people but what are their plans to get to $30/hr in order to be able to save for retirement?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:21 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Good people but what are their plans to get to $30/hr in order to be able to save for retirement?
To be frank, a lot of them don't. They're content with where they are. They may be too scared to make changes. Some of the folks I'm talking about that I personally know probably aren't bright or skilled enough to make it up the employment ladder.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To be frank, a lot of them don't. They're content with where they are. They may be too scared to make changes. Some of the folks I'm talking about that I personally know probably aren't bright or skilled enough to make it up the employment ladder.
Fine, but those are personal life choices.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:33 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
personal life choices are those choices we make that effect our lifetime outcomes . it is personal choices where many of those who are underfunded messed up earlier in life.

it is these choices in life where we all differ and the points where some find that way with the lower level of skills they have and others don't .

my old buddies from the projects had the same opportunity to go to the trade school i did , i begged them to go with me . but nope , hanging out and driving a forklift and putting stock away was easier . so they ended up in those projects raising their families and we retired in a lovely area in queens ny .

Old 02-26-2018, 08:40 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:

Capitalism as a system is dependent upon and built upon a pool of low-paid workers at the bottom.

It's one reason the minimum wage is so low.

You don't really think that there are enough jobs in the U.S. for everyone which pay $30 per hour, do you?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:41 AM

everyone never develops skills worth 30 bucks an hour so it balances out . the minimum wage area was never supposed to be a life long career choice . it was typically a starting point . but many just lack skills worth much more .

you need either the skills or the creativity to find the areas of employment where others can't or won't do for themselves what you can do . it has nothing to do with degrees .

Old 02-26-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Capitalism as a system is dependent upon and built upon a pool of low-paid workers at the bottom.

It's one reason the minimum wage is so low.

You don't really think that there are enough jobs in the U.S. for everyone which pay $30 per hour, do you?
Yes, but being a member of that low paid workforce isn't permanent. It's transient. I was one of those low paid workers making $3.15/hr minimum wage. Now I work in technology making much more.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:

Yes, but being a member of that low paid workforce isn't permanent. It's transient. I was one of those low paid workers making $3.15/hr minimum wage. Now I work in technology making much more.
Of course it is permanent for many people. I wasn't saying that people stay at minimum wage (although many or some do), I was saying that people remain in low wages. Low wages can be, for example, $15 per hour or $18 per hour.

A very large number of adults make between $25,000 and $35,000 per year.

Capitalism as a system depends upon this pool of lower paid workers.

You don't seem to know much about the under-class.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:03 AM

there will always be a supply of low paid workers . you can bet on that . we will always have low level worker ants and we always did .

we will always have people die young too , for lots of reasons . but if many took care of themselves they may have lived , but they won't and don't .

when it comes to employment it is no different . you will always have those who will comitt their own financial suicide . it is just a fact of life like dying young is .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement