Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it would be so much easier if we just knew who of us are the unlucky ones .
Puritans believed in predestination -- not a sunny philosophy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 11:02 PM

469 posts, read 398,576 times
If I live beyond my funds I plan to off myself. Before that I'll move to Mexico where they take excellent care of old people for a pretty minimum amount of money. I won't go to some crap hole place that stinks of urine and despair where you just live for the sake of living, with no quality of life.

That being said, I've saved enough that I "think" it won't come to that. But I've already told my kids not to raise a stink if I accidently run my car off the road or something if and when I've run out of money And. I love Mexico so I may move down there anyway, just to live my final years in a wonderful place.

I'm an atheist so this poses no moral dilemma for me. Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:20 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Except 70% of lottery winners are broke again within 5 years.

Why do 70 percent of lottery winners end up bankrupt? | cleveland.com
I honestly believe this is a function of the big lottery players are just not the best and the brightest. Sorry to generalize but one look at the line tells us this. If feel the same way about them as I do the pro athletes who did the same thing. Not an ounce of sympathy. Go live in a van down by the river, you deserve it.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:11 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it would be so much easier if we just knew who of us are the unlucky ones .
Each of us can choose.

When it's my time, I'll wheel myself in front of a bus.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:16 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
What if they come up with a cure for dementia / altztimers then you probably would want to have that money?
A close friend of mine has spent his entire professional career pursuing that. He's one of those guys who is clearly the smartest guy in the room, but at the same time has the ability not to show off, and never talks above my head. MD & PhD in chemistry and another PhD in neurobiology, and the chief medical officer of several companies that have pursued such a cure.

They made it to clinical trials several times, but always abandoned the program due to adverse consequences (people dieing).

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 03-30-2018 at 01:43 PM..

Old 03-30-2018, 01:35 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
A close friend of mine has spent his entire professional career pursuing that. He's one of those guys who is clearly the smartest guy in the room, but at the same time has the ability not to show off, and never talks above my head. MD & PhD in chemistry and another PhD in neurobiology, and the chief medical officer of several companies that have pursued such a cure.

They made it to clinical trials, but always abandoned the program due to adverse consequences (people dieing).
Not sure if this is an urban legend or not, but I have heard there is a cure for Parkinson's, but if they give it to 5 people, 2 are cured, 2 get no better or worse and 1 dies. If it's true, it seems like they should leave the choice to the patient, but supposedly they cannot produce it at all because of the mortality, even though that's better odds than they have without it.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:42 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I'm always fascinated by the commercials for new medications. Some list disastrous side effects including greater risk of cancer and or death.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:53 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm always fascinated by the commercials for new medications. Some list disastrous side effects including greater risk of cancer and or death.
I've seen ads for meds with a "high risk of suicidality." I'm not sure why you'd even take something that's highly likely to lead to suicidal thoughts.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:01 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've seen ads for meds with a "high risk of suicidality." I'm not sure why you'd even take something that's highly likely to lead to suicidal thoughts.
Yes, that's one of them. I can't even imagine taking a medication to clear up a skin disorder (if that's what it was) and then wanting to kill myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement