Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Does anyone have any other suggestions on this topic. I don't seem to have any recommendations, sort of like having a writing block.

For awhile I thought of Austin and then decided it was not for me. I heard to many comparisons to Portland and I don't care to ever live in a city like Portland again. I have no desire to live in places where their city slogans are "Keep------Weird". Places where the population actually lives up to thier slogan. Thats fine when your 25 but I don't want it in my 60's.

I have found to be very cautious when researching. I have learned to really be careful of places that are receiving a tremendous amount of publicity. Portland received alot but it is diminishing now I think. I have found many places are being marketed to target audiences mainly. The higher income retiree. The married couple. The young 20 to 30 something looking for whatever. Unfortunately so many have come to Portland a city that has perennial high unemployment second only to Detroit. Its a city with so many alternative types. Im not sure it has an actual idenity beyond mountain views, alternative people and unemployment for these people.

Im not sure a big city is for everyone as they get older whether they be st8 or gay. Many gays seem to think we all must live in the big city. A big city can make you more isolated than smaller cities in many ways. I think Atlanta is so sprawled out, I can't imagine driving in that LA type of traffic gridlock. I don't think every gay person would want to spend most of their time, in one neighborhood as a way to deal with all that gridlock. Some people in Atlanta do that as a means to deal with all that traffic.

So I do envy people that find their place and just get on with it. Move there accept thier decision, and make a life for themself in thier new location.
I too am searching for the retirement place that would suit me the best. That's why this website is a wealth of information. I don't have any place to suggest so far but I will share a conclusion I have come to.

The main thing is don't buy into hype. I have agreed with you on many occasions about the over-hyped things said about Portland. They may apply to a few people but not most and certainly not people looking to retire. I am applying that premise to any place I think might meet my needs.

For example you don't see people flocking to Cleveland and for the most part the posts I see on the Cleveland forum seem to be pretty humble when talking about this city. I understand the negatives but for what I am seeking, the positives outweigh them. I would consider Cleveland.

The comments people make here about other places are also invaluable. You know that people here are not starry-eyed hipsters or 20 somethings seeking the dating scene or young couples starting families which are the people who most seem to inquire about other cities to which to move. These are the majority of the type of people looking to relocate. The information they get is fine but most of what they are looking for is useless to us closer to retirement.

That's why I keep coming here. People like LiveContent who so very eloquently post about the places in which they live are the best sources of information. I have learned about areas good and not so good for Seniors. I don't know where I will wind up but I have a hunch it will be the result of checking in here to get the opinions of my contemporaries.

Moving is not easy and we want to get it right the first time so do your research carefully and don't put too much pressure on yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 01:32 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
My gay co-worker visits Palm Springs all the time. Also Ithaca, NY (home of Cornell University) but it's very cold in the winter and a little isolated. But I think what you are looking for is the same for alot of people, gay or straight.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:47 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Older People, Gay or Not Gay, all need the same amenities that gives good qualities of life. A safe area; An area with good public transit; excellent health care. Perhaps you need to add weather, depending on your health condition.

I an not Gay. I like Denver because it does not have many extremes. It is not too cold and not to hot. It is cold enough to control bugs and diminish the weird people who seem to gravitate to much warmer climates. It is dry enough to control the humidity but not too dry.

The city is big enough for all encompasses services of health care, entertainment and most importantly an excellent public transit but not too big to make it the hurried lifestyle.

Denver has a big enough maturity to accept different types of people but does not have the extreme prejudices and extreme behavior you see in other areas.

Denver is clean, progressive, conservative, liberal, gay, not gay, christian, non christian, exciting, boring, White, Hispanic, Asian, Black, relaxing, entertaining, laid back, aggressive, young, old.

Yes, Denver is everything but never to the extreme. Denver is the Queen City of the Great Plains and the Gateway to the Rocky Mountains. Perhaps you need to look to the West; the West of the Imagination; the West of Your Imagination. For what you Imagine, will become your Wish.

Livecontent
Amen. You have listed the great things about Denver. In addtion, I have found the people more than welcoming.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:34 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Live Content Your comments were most helpful and as always filled with wisdom. Denver has been on my on off list for quite some time. It is always the winter that has kept me from completely focusing on the area. I think many of us do not realize it is not the winter of the Northern USA, nor do we realize there is so much sun in Denver. That sun makes it feel warmer during the day than the cold wet and windy Oregon winters. I may just decide its one of the very few places to retire any longer that is worth bothering with. Thanks

Old 02-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Thanks Minervah for the nice post. I agree it is better to get our information on this type of forum. The people have more insight into places and our needs for this stage in our life.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:37 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Oh Minervah, please please don't move to Cleveland...seriously.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,365 times
I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. I now have more questions than answers, but did enjoy the read.

My partner and I are looking for a new place ourselves. We both retired early and are now 60 living in the New Mexican high desert suburbs of El Paso. We loved the area when we moved here, but now we both miss green grass, gardens and lush foliage. My partner has lived in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Florida. I've been all over in my working days. I lived and loved my years in Colorado, Montana, Utah, Idaho, Washington State, New York, New Jersey, California and overseas in the UK. Now we "think" we would like to try someplace in the southeast USA. Ideally some place like Asheville, just not as expensive. We don't need an active gay scene. Our friends are mixed couples, and our enjoyment comes not from night life, but from simple dinner parties and cookouts.

Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks, John

Old 03-15-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootAuthor View Post
I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. I now have more questions than answers, but did enjoy the read.

My partner and I are looking for a new place ourselves. We both retired early and are now 60 living in the New Mexican high desert suburbs of El Paso. We loved the area when we moved here, but now we both miss green grass, gardens and lush foliage. My partner has lived in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Florida. I've been all over in my working days. I lived and loved my years in Colorado, Montana, Utah, Idaho, Washington State, New York, New Jersey, California and overseas in the UK. Now we "think" we would like to try someplace in the southeast USA. Ideally some place like Asheville, just not as expensive. We don't need an active gay scene. Our friends are mixed couples, and our enjoyment comes not from night life, but from simple dinner parties and cookouts.

Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks, John
Do some research on Greenville SC. Its not that far from Asheville in the Upstate region of SC. I believe it is in the foothills of the Appalachians. It is between Atl and Charlotte. It is a smaller city somewhat progressive and has attracted some big companies to the area that has brought transplants. The city has done a great job on the downtown, many shops and restaurants, hotels. There is an airport in Greenville that connects to most hub cities. If you go to the Greenville forum there are some beautiful pictures of the city and the area. It really is quite impressive.

You could also try Roanoke, Va which would be near the NC border in SW Virginia. It is in a valley surrounded by the Appalachian mts. Very nice smaller city maybe around 150,000 people. Rather self contained community, Good Medical and a good base for trips to the Mts including Asheville. It has been gaining retired residents due to the lower cost and natural beauty of the area.

There is a wealth of info on these two cities on the respective forums. Those are the two I can think of in the regions closest to Asheville.

You also could try Knoxville Tn also in the mountains not far from Asheville. Its a college town and a sizeable city. Not far from Smokey Mt Nat's Park.

All of these communities would certainly be cheaper than Asheville, which is overpriced.

Also pull up a website called Sperling.best. You can plug in a number of cities and communites on there and gather further info when doing research on areas. There are also reviews from people that have moved to different places. Some are lets say quite colorful reviews.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:29 PM

5 posts, read 6,960 times
My partner and I did something different. We took early retirement in 2004, sold our home in Houston in 2005. We traded our 30 bumper pull travel trailer in on a 40' 5th wheel coach and traded in our 3/4 ton RAM 2500 in on a RAM 3500 dually, and started RVing full time. We return to the Rio Grande Valley at the bottom of Texas for winter, a.k.a. "Winter Texans" In a couple of weeks we will head the the UP of Michigan, on the northern shore of Lake Michigan for the summer. Three years ago we spent the summer in the Maritime Provinces of Canada. That was neat.

We are not into the bar scene and have never had a problem with other RV'ers. They treat us just like any other couple. Some people think we look somewhat alike and ask are we brothers. I now just say yes. LOL

One has to love to travel and be on real good terms with the person you live with to do this. You also have to be willing to a little physical work in setting up and taking down camp each time.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
LA. TN, NV and maybe TX. IL does not tax SS, pensions, nor any income that does not fall under the federal guidelines. It is a liberal state. It is a senior friendly state with tax breaks for lower income that includes Circuit Breaker - $25 license plate amd a monthly stipend for drugs as well as tax breaks for handicapped, veterans, elderly, ill, ect.. County taxes are cheaper than city taxes. The grocery tax is 1% except in Chicago. Many, many things for seiors to participate in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement