Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 AM

265 posts, read 665,105 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if the rumours are all true. I heard that such communties
have too many gossips, busybodies and factions.
What has been your experience?
And when going to sell, one must " sell " the community as well.
That's got to be very hard if the community stinks.
It would be nice to know which communities to avoid and if there's any
way of telling when home shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting View Post
I'm just curious if the rumours are all true. I heard that such communties
have too many gossips, busybodies and factions.
What has been your experience?
And when going to sell, one must " sell " the community as well.
That's got to be very hard if the community stinks.
It would be nice to know which communities to avoid and if there's any
way of telling when home shopping.
LOL, if you are listening to rumours, then you already have a problem with gossips and busybodies!

It sounds like you may be very new to the home buying process. That's ok, we all start somewhere. For future reference, buying a home isn't like buying a loaf of bread--you do research before choosing a neighborhood.

There are all sorts of ways to do research. Drive around during the day and at night, to get a feel for the place. Ask the community managers if you can work out at the community gym so you can get a feel for the neighborhood and your neighbors. Go to the local stores and the library and talk to people about how they like living in the neighborhood. Say hello to your future neighbors and gauge for yourself if you'd feel comfortable living next door to them. Get crime statistics from the police, and other demographics from the county and city govts. Etc. Etc.

If you do some research before buying a home, you should be able to tell for yourself if a community "stinks" or not. Most people have already researched a community before they ever look at a house, so it isn't a realistic worry that a home seller is going to bother trying to "sell" a community. In fact, most home sellers don't even meet the buyers until the closing, so there really isn't much opportunity to do much of this "selling" anyway.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 AM

452 posts, read 1,722,879 times
OF course there are gossips...that's what SOME people do. BUT..they have to have someone to listen to them.

The gossips usually find out pretty quick who will join them and who won't...but it might take you longer to get a feel for them. But, that's everywhere.

If you choose a community to retire to, you don't HAVE to get involved. We have folks here who NEVER darken the door of the clubhouse when we have functions. In fact, our neighbor on one side stays in ALL THE TIME...unless she's leaving for work or church. I've spoken to her once and she told me that she stays to herself because she got her feelings hurt YEARS ago and ... the rest is history. She's a very nice lady...but that's her choice. There are others who don't get involved and that's their way of living. Doesn't mean the community stinks.

If you really want a ton of privacy or do not enjy the company of other people, this way of life might not be for you. But if you like knowing all your close neighbors by their first names and having people in the area who can keep an eye on your "stuff" while you're away, you'd be very happy here.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
We have met some very interesting people in our HOA communtiy. Yes, gossips exist, trouble makers exist, people who want to know every inch of your business as well as the "in crowd." We have found our backbones and will pick our friends wisely and enjoy our life here for the time being. There are so many ammenities it far outweighs the negatives.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 PM

134 posts, read 495,387 times
ArkLexee, Is your home in a 55+ community? I looked for it on the web and found the villages but I didn't see a 55+ section? Is there such a part of the community or do I need new glasses? Thanks, Joycie

Old 03-24-2008, 05:26 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Perhaps it would be helpful if one has an area in which they are considering.
There are 55+ communities all over the south.

Joycie, If you are looking at The Villages, then it would seem that you are thinking about the central Florida region.
There are dozens of very good 55+ communities in that region. I bought in a 55+ community about 14 miles south of the villages.....many different places to choose from.

I like the central Florida area because I am about 1 to 1.5 hours from either coast. Hurricanes are less of a threat by the time they reach us. Homeowners insurance is less expensive. I am about 30 minutes from Orlando....not too close, not too far.

As said in other posts....the Villages is a one of a kind place....it is unique among the 55+ communities, with it's own advantages and disadvantages. Some people love it there, some would not.

Where you decide to spend your retirement years is a big decision......I advise some to consider renting someplace central to your search for a month or so, checking things out first hand. You are then in a position to make a informed decision and score a good deal in this buyers market.

Good luck! Frank D.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:47 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,879 times
JOYCIE...

YES we are. If you google Hot Springs, arkansas....then... Highway Seven South and Highway 290...look for Century Circle. That's our street name. We're small and not even close to HSV...that's in north garland county. Hot Springs Village has a gated community INSIDE ....called Diamonte. Or so they say it's gated....I think you'd have to PAY just to drive up TO the gate.
That's not for us even if we could afford it I think. I guess I'm a reverse snob. HSV is a Cooper Community...which is probably not what florida has. I don't know for sure. We have an aunt and uncle who live there and HE LOVES the golf courses. We visit them and hubby carried a route there years ago and we THOUGHT about moving there..but....I'm VERY glad we didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement