Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 06:16 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

Me? I had my retirement identity way before retirement. Not working has given me time to live as I want. almost anyway.
Ditto ^^^^^.

Even though I have never looked at my horses as a "retirement identity". I've been paying for my horses non-stop since I was 12 and knew full well horses would be an integral part of my life when I retired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 06:16 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Ive resisted labels all my life, why do I need to be hallmarked now? I'M FREE!

Old 03-01-2018, 06:18 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
for me,

still working (18 months, 29 days and a few hours but who's counting)
Major dog lover
Hot mess, boo I just had to euthanize my 16 year old dog a few weeks ago
serious shopper. lol
Francophile. love Paris
Disneyphile. love Disneyworld.
Almost empty nester! Yoohoo!!

Old 03-01-2018, 06:50 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
I think I'm still the same person I always, and any age-related transitions have been seamless.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 AM

679 posts, read 812,034 times
Good question, OP. I don't know what my retirement identity will be, as I am 55.
I suspect it will simply be an evolution of my being and spirit.

I really didn't become the man I am today until I hit 31 and became a husband and father.

No grand kids, yet. I suspect that will change my being a bit. I will be the best grand dad in the world i believe.

The only thing I will try hard to avoid is becoming Old Man Howell down the street who yells at people to get off his property, to paraphrase Scooby Doo....

Old 03-01-2018, 07:42 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I wonder how many ways “What should I do with myself after I retire can be asked?

If we are really going to use the words “different roles we will play,” my answer is literally whichever ones I get in my acting class. So that’s also a suggestion of what someone might do with their retirement time. We do skits, improv, plays and learn about theater. I’ve been doing it all my life. We are all seniors who range from beginners all the way to a couple of professionals one man who is still performing in regular theater.

You get a good mental and physical workout and it’s a real challenge. We perform for our senior center members but usually stay on script because, hey, we’re old and they’re an easy audience.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:22 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Retirement identify? Was I supposed to get one?

Retired since 2010 when I had to have eye surgery which put the kibosh on doing any kind of work that required prolonged use of eyes...... like reading anything. I've had to make a lot of adjustments but I am not blind, thank you God. Vision has been blurry, cloudy, very hard to read small print, sometimes confusion between some numbers, hmm is that a 6 or an 8 or a 5?

So I needed to just chill out, see the eye doctor frequently, take the meds/drops, and hope for the best. Things are a lot better now but not perfect. I resist the idea of audio-books (I've heard how enjoyable they are), but stubborn me likes the idea of being able to sit with a good book.

Have entertained the idea of moving. Or at least taking a lot of road trips (don't care for airplanes). Driving has not been a problem and my preferred form of transportation, tho train rides are starting to look good.

New challenge of going off pain medication for arthritic pain. Not sure what, if any, my new doctor will recommend other than the Tylenol for arthritis.

Well, maybe that's my identity. Dream down-sizer.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:22 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Hmm before I retired almost three years ago I was an edgy workaholic health care worker with an intense job. Now I just identify myself as happy

Old 03-01-2018, 10:14 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Live outside the US for a year. It will challenge you, it will open your eyes, your mind and your heart.
I agree.

We lived in Scotland for 3 years and we loved it. Our eldest son began attending public schools when we were there. It was great.

Then 10 years later we lived in Italy for 3 years. That was certainly different. We toured a lot and saw many things.

To the OP:
What is your retired person "identity"?

I retired in my 40s. We knew that if there were any big things we really wanted to do with our lives, we had best jump on them before old-age took control of our bodies. So we were foster-parents a few years. We bought forest land and built a farmhouse. I volunteered as bartender at the VFW for a year. We have become active in our community and we serve on the boards of a couple NPOs.

As my body is aging and I am forced to slow down, our construction projects are winding down.

My identity has become that of off-grid organic farmer and beekeeper. My wife has decided to run for a seat in the state legislature.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:24 AM

107 posts, read 85,747 times
I posted about chickens here. Someone left the cutest, funniest rep.

"I love chickens! They traveled all over with me"

Being the chicken lady will be my identity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement