Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 06:19 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times

Advertisements

I don't think so. I still have friends coming to get answers to their financial problems. Not to borrow money but for information to help them make retirement plans. Unless they are just coming here to get a laugh which they will do after they leave me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 08:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
YES! Especially if I'm sleep deprived! But that's been me my whole life.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:18 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Lately I've been having trouble remembering last names.

Apparently I have age-related forget-ya.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:26 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
variants: or ditsy
ditz·i·er or dits·i·er; dits·i·est
: eccentrically silly, giddy, or inane : dizzy
dit·zi·nessor ditsiness \-nəs\ noun

Just to be clear, this is what we are talking about right? I would say I definitely have my ditzy moments. I know many others who do as well but either don’t realize it or won’t admit they have them.
Well, w/r/t age-related issues, more like confusion and forgetfulness, with a bit of technological ineptness.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:55 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Let me start by saying I'm 67. Not really retired but retirement age. The grandfather of one of my students, only a few years older than me (6-7 years, I think), was just put in a retirement center by his family. He had serious memory loss/confusion. For example, he initially brought his grandson to me to study, bought a violin from me, and then shortly afterwards stated he wants to buy the violin (after he already had paid for it). My mother had this, too, real loss of short term memory.

I'm finding if I forget something, people may assume I'm ditzy, too. For example, on YouTube, on my tablet at least, it you don't click on this little triangle on the bottom right under the video, the date doesn't drop down. I didn't realize that and posted an inquiry about an old video on Hillary Clinton, thinking she was going to run again. A friend gently corrected me on Facebook; it was an old video, she's not running again.

Well, there was a rumor she was running again (she isn't), but posting that old video made me look ditzy. I hadn't noticed the date.

So, if you're retirement age, do you worry about people thinking you're losing it?

My mom is 82, and she's dealing with short term memory loss. It's more and more noticeable to all of us, and she knows it too. But yet, I'd never say she's ditzy. She's way smart, and she's way funny, and way wise, short term memory loss not withstanding.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:59 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Lately I've been having trouble remembering last names.

Apparently I have age-related forget-ya.
AKA "CRS" - Can't remember $hit.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Yes. I'm 60 and ditzy but I was ditzy at 30 too so it isn't surprising.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:16 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Let me start by saying I'm 67. Not really retired but retirement age. The grandfather of one of my students, only a few years older than me (6-7 years, I think), was just put in a retirement center by his family. He had serious memory loss/confusion. For example, he initially brought his grandson to me to study, bought a violin from me, and then shortly afterwards stated he wants to buy the violin (after he already had paid for it). My mother had this, too, real loss of short term memory.

I'm finding if I forget something, people may assume I'm ditzy, too. For example, on YouTube, on my tablet at least, it you don't click on this little triangle on the bottom right under the video, the date doesn't drop down. I didn't realize that and posted an inquiry about an old video on Hillary Clinton, thinking she was going to run again. A friend gently corrected me on Facebook; it was an old video, she's not running again.

Well, there was a rumor she was running again (she isn't), but posting that old video made me look ditzy. I hadn't noticed the date.

So, if you're retirement age, do you worry about people thinking you're losing it?
I'm retirement age ( 70), and I honestly don't give a happy hoot about what anyone else thinks about me. If they think I am ditzy, I would regard that as their problem, not mine.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:20 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Nope.

Unless I'm such a ditz that I can't pick up on it.
^^^ This is my greatest fear.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:23 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
It seems like my whole life I've had to deal with sexism, people thinking I'm "less than" or some housewife, when I'm actually a pretty formidable competitor. And now I have to deal with ageism. It just pisses me off.
I'm sorry to hear that. I can tell you from personal experience that no matter your chronological age, or gender for that matter, life is so much more pleasant if you don't always have to be a victim.

One's mindset makes the biggest difference in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement