Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 08:34 AM

8,756 posts, read 5,053,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Expect to need more than one trip for this...
and plan to make at least one of them in the heat of summer.

Because you plan/expect to buy into a 55+?

I've never looked but... 55+ and VRBO seem out of synch with each other.
Are there a lot of VRBO (or furnished sub lets) at 55+ communities?

Don't expect any more than a motel room and you won't be disappointed.
Besides, you're not there for the motel room. Spend your time OUT of the room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What is VRBO? I hate acronyms as everyone who uses them assumes everyone else knows what they mean.
Sorry.....Vacation rentals by owner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 08:41 AM

731 posts, read 767,978 times
OP Just google over 55 communities in the area of Florida you might be interested in. Look at the community's web page to see if it's something you might be interested in. Then go to VRBO, Homeway, etc. and search for rentals in that community.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2018, 09:09 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
OP, are you trying to save money by using VRBO? Do make sure you check the hidden fees if looking at VRBO rentals. They can be substantial, quite a bit more than hotel rates. Some people are taking their entire family so it works out for them but for us as a couple, it's too much.

In fact, I find VRBO properties to be so expensive because of hidden fees that I just book a mid-priced business hotel that has free breakfast, like Hampton Inn. It probably helps that my van has a fully-equipped galley where I can prepare other meals, so no need to eat out. But many hotel rooms these days have refrigerators and microwaves.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:22 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
I used VRBO for years to get snowbird rentals. Saved a lot of money over published rates, but then I was going for months. Look for listings with good reviews.

We never dealt with any hidden fees, we would just ask them for an all-in-one price and let the owner sort out the taxes, cleaning, etc.

The one time we went to FL to look into retirement communities, we found most of them would not even let you on the property unless you were with a RE agent. You may find some do not allow short-term, or ANY rentals.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:24 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
We use it constantly, along with Homeaway and Airbnb and several European house rental sites. We vacation pretty often and prefer to rent houses (or apartments in European cities) than a hotel or even a B&B.

We used it in our househunt in FL. We rented 3 different homes in 3 different towns to see which suited us best. A month at each place. All in the exact neighborhoods we were interested in. Did the same thing when we moved to Arizona and again in Mexico.

It is far better to rent a home in the neighborhood you are interested in versus staying in a nearby hotel.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:25 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
I've used VRBO (bought out by HomeAway, so you will see both logos) for everything from high rise apartments in Chicago to a row house in Dupont Square in DC to a small beach house (locally and in Hawaii) to a mountain cabin to a small flat in Kensington (London). All the experiences have been pretty good. As someone else said, look for very recent reviews, accept that the photos have been taken to make the place look as nice as possible.

VRBO is not particularly cheap (particularly after fees and taxes have been added, that $100 a night becomes $150 very quickly), but the spouse likes to make his own breakfast (hotel breakfasts are absolutely awful and a restaurant breakfast is more than we can eat). What we generally do while traveling, to save money AND our waistlines, is to eat out no more than once a day, often a late lunch, and then just have a sandwich or other light meal at night.

Never tried AirBnB.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:48 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Oh yes, we plan more then one trip....going in the summer, to see if we can handle to heat.
Good. Overall your plan is solid as a rock. Get right into the middle of things to see if an area really suits
and take some time there to be sure. Some will try to do this from an RV parked 15 miles away.

Quote:
Don`t know if there are any VRBO in over 55, but...
That was my first assumption. Or furnished sublets for that matter.
Bylaws and all that aside property owners will run into strict FL hotel tax laws and rules
when they attempt to operate as a hotel. Hope you find something good though.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:49 AM

413 posts, read 701,528 times
I used to advertise my townhouse at the beach on VRBO, as well as a couple other sites, for vacation rentals in the summer. It helped defray some of the cost of ownership of my home for the six years until I retired. It is only a forum for owners to advertise, the condition, fees and terms depend on the individual owners. But it does include feedback from previous renters and shows how long they've been in operation, so that does work to weed out scammers. As an owner, I found it to be preferable to listing with a realtor or rental management firm. You avoid their management fees and you can do a better job of screening renters yourself. I also found a big decrease in stealing by the renters. The summer I let it through the agency, I was amazed at what disappeared - pillows, blankets, a flower arrangement and china teapots and serving pieces. Nothing went when I rented it myself. People know they are dealing with real people - that nice old lady next door - and not some impersonal company.
Another advantage to VRBO and to home swapping sites is, you're away from the big hotels in tourist areas into actual neighborhoods where people live. You get a better feel for the people and culture.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:25 PM

623 posts, read 965,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Going to Florida soon to check out if it is the right place for us to retire to. We have never done a VRBO before. We are going to try to stay in a over 55, or at least a gated community.
We know it is a legit company.....but we are still leery. I guess hearing some good feedback will make us feel better about it Thanks! Any tips that would be helpful would also be appreciated
You should be aware that a lot of over 55 and gated HOA communities Don't allow VRBO and yet the owners still try to rent the home out short term. Just letting you know.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:05 PM

18 posts, read 21,572 times
Don't know if you are interested in The Villages, but someone on another forum I frequent used this site Villagershomes4rent.com to find rentals in the Villages. I don't personally know anything about the site, but thought I would pass it along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement