Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:48 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,814,646 times

Advertisements

I love this thread and it's so timely for me b/c I just found out my teaching contract is not getting renewed and I'm actually kind of thrilled by that. A bit depressed too b/c I love working with the kids but now I can move out of this area where I just don't fit in. Think liberal in Trump country.

But yes, have taken several leaps of faith in my life and all have been a change for the better, including a round-the-world trip 10 years ago. All were scary but all were done by the light of my intuition and that's the best guide I have.

My advice is to set an intention, or several. Like I think you have already set the intention to move. Now where to? Do you travel on car trips comfortably? Is there someone you know in an area you consider interesting that you could go visit? Do you feel comfortable with the idea of couch surfing or Mennonite your Way? MYW might be a more compatible idea for older folks. My grandmother served as a host for that and we met some really nice people.

Me, I'm thinking I may take an extended road trip and do helpx.net farms on my way around to save expenses and have safe places to stay. I have a little dog that is thrilled with car trips so no problems there.

Sorry, I know this isn't all about me but I thought my experience might help to get the idea juices flowing.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:41 PM

Oh just had another thought about that....not all moves make you happier but if you follow where you're led, the rewards can be sweet.

In my case, I moved down here 5 years ago to take my first teaching job and at first I liked it but as time went on I realized that I didn't want to stay. But, what I got out of this is that my long estranged sister also moved here at the same time and now we are very close. So, there was a purpose and now that we've made our peace and more, we both feel free to move. She's itchin' to get out of here too but we are both glad we came.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:17 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,121,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If you do not think your cats could take the stress of moving ......
Each of the couple dozen cats we had over the years were pretty much stress free. Cats have their ways and that includes fitting in and taking over where ever they go. We even traveled in a small RV with two cats for two years. They did just fine after the first couple of weeks.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:32 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,427,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Each of the couple dozen cats we had over the years were pretty much stress free. Cats have their ways and that includes fitting in and taking over where ever they go. We even traveled in a small RV with two cats for two years. They did just fine after the first couple of weeks.
OP told a story of moving a cat who ended up having a stroke and it still troubled her.

I forgot to mention in my post to OP that she might be very unpleasantly surprised by the animal cruelty/kill shelters/animals' lack of decent care that is especially prevalent in the South and North Carolina.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:48 PM

5,949 posts, read 5,120,033 times
MYW ????

No idea what that means.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
OP told a story of moving a cat who ended up having a stroke and it still troubled her.

I forgot to mention in my post to OP that she might be very unpleasantly surprised by the animal cruelty/kill shelters/animals' lack of decent care that is especially prevalent in the South and North Carolina.

What should I be understanding here? Other than the shelters in NC and SC are horrible? Is that it?

Why is it important to talk about?

I have not been living in a cave for the past 75 years. You would be surprised how much I know.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Some of these posts make me sorry I ever mentioned my kitties.

I live on planet earth.

Where are you guys?

Old 03-05-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
What should I be understanding here? Other than the shelters in NC and SC are horrible? Is that it?
Why is it important to talk about?
I have not been living in a cave for the past 75 years. You would be surprised how much I know.
For my part, because I wondered if you knew about the difficulties in shelters down there because you talked about maybe having a dog and I wrote about my own fears of my dogs being stranded without a placement plan if something happened to me, and I wondered if OP would have a plan that didn't involve a shelter in those areas.

Someone did make a comment to me with a rep point about OP "abandoning the kitties" and I don't know who sent the comment, or would have reminded that poster that you have a good home for the cats if you choose not to risk the stress of moving them. Someone also commented that it isn't so stressful for cats to travel and I reminded that poster that you'd had an experience that shook you in moving a cat.

I might have assumed you didn't know much about the shelters from the way you spoke initially spoke about fearing moving and change. Not sure why I'd make that leap. Certainly at 76, one would know a lot of things. I meant no disrespect.

Last edited by brightdoglover; 03-05-2018 at 07:19 PM..

Old 03-05-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
MYW ????

No idea what that means.
Sorry, Mennonite Your Way. Mennonite Your Way Directory
It's like couchsurfing but seniors and Christians might be more comfortable with this. You don't have to be a Mennonite...we're not and we hosted some Muslim guests from India once. My family and I used it for a room in New Zealand and were given a very nice apartment to stay in for a few days and the hostess took us around the city one day.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:24 PM

The MYW sounds extremely affordable. I never heard of it. Is it like airbnb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement