Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:40 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The MYW sounds extremely affordable. I never heard of it. Is it like airbnb?
Something like but I think your hosts at MYW actually want to visit with you. That was my take from my limited experience with it. I know when grandma did it, we all sat around and visited and then grandma, at over 90 yo, got up at six and started to fry up some hog jowl, eggs, biscuits, and gravy. This was about 12 years ago.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:14 AM

946 posts, read 775,379 times
What I wrestle with is what many of you have said. People say follow what you want to do and then they also say don't leave a good job. These contradict each other.

I fall in that mold. From age 23-35 I moved 3 or 4 times and was all over the place and had a pretty good time.. But at 35 I landed a good job with a company that had a pension (not just a 401K) and I feel like I'm just trapped. I'm 53 and have to work until 59 to get the full pension. If I just up and leave to "take a chance", finding another job with this pension are about .01 percent. Most companies don't offer pensions anymore.

So anyway, I know I'm blessed in a lot of ways. But right not it seems I can't take a risk on doing anything but staying where I'm at.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:18 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Anyone take a risk without firm knowledge you will come out OK?

35 years in law enforcement, um yeah.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:29 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
There's really only one thing to keep in mind.
Wherever you go, you take yourself with you.
This is so true.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Anyone take a risk without firm knowledge you will come out OK?
35 years in law enforcement, um yeah.
In a small way, I felt the same way in my job as night psychiatric RN. You could walk around a corner and be faced with something you never thought of and have to respond. Of course, there's training and protocols but, yeah, in a small way, I understand, Jim.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:35 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Of course, when I got married, when I moved to a different country, when I had children, when we moved to different states. I never knew what the outcome was going to be and none of them have been predictable,and has been full of twists and turns but here I am and don’t regret one bit. It’s not easy moving and this last move has been hard on me physically but with planning you can do it and I ask you what have you got to lose, can it be any worse than your current situation?

Old 03-06-2018, 08:59 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Quote:
If you do not think your cats could take the stress of moving and they have a good re-home as you've said, I'd suggest that you might not want to take on another pet. It's a constant concern of mine living alone and getting older what will happen to my pets if something sudden happens to me. I have set up complicated plans to place and support them. If you are in a new place, you might now have the years or the connection to place a beagle or other dog. Maybe you could get one from a rescue with the understanding that many rescues have- that the dog return to them if you cannot keep them for whatever reason.

Or if you want dog friends, maybe volunteer at a shelter. Everyone would benefit.
Agreed. I have the same concerns. My two German shepherds will probably depart when I’m around 60. No way I’d want to worry about what would happen to them when I’m 70 and in the hospital for a week. No more for me - it wouldn’t be fair to a young German Shepherd.

Older people really need to look at pet ownership from the pet’s point of view also.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Agreed. I have the same concerns. My two German shepherds will probably depart when I’m around 60. No way I’d want to worry about what would happen to them when I’m 70 and in the hospital for a week. No more for me - it wouldn’t be fair to a young German Shepherd.

Older people really need to look at pet ownership from the pet’s point of view also.

I usually adopt seniors and will continue to do so, but still have to make plans for them in case of my sudden demise or anything. It's always on my mind.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:27 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
Default Not true

Quote:
OP told a story of moving a cat who ended up having a stroke and it still troubled her.

I forgot to mention in my post to OP that she might be very unpleasantly surprised by the animal cruelty/kill shelters/animals' lack of decent care that is especially prevalent in the South and North Carolina.
Not all southern shelters are Medieval.

https://www.bwar.org/

https://www.bringfido.com/destinatio...orth_carolina/

Western Carolina is very pet friendly.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:18 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I'm almost 76. No interest in getting a job. Not interested in moving to NE. Maybe you should move back now?
Sorry, I didn't realize you were 76. Thought you were an early retiree and in your 50's or around . In that case I would say starting a new life in a new place involves lots of risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement