Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

I was thinking the other day what will the kids do after us with all the junk and clutter in the house?An estate sale, perhaps? Well, why not having our own estate sale while we are still alive and use some of that cash ourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 07:28 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I was thinking the other day what will the kids do after us with all the junk and clutter in the house?An estate sale, perhaps? Well, why not having our own estate sale while we are still alive and use some of that cash ourselves?
Haven't people always done that? My parents did, back 30 years ago. They used the cash to help with new furniture for their second home in Florida. Trouble was, they dumped the leftover junk from the sale in MY basement!

Old 03-05-2018, 07:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Sure! I am not sure it would be an estate sale exactly, but I get your drift. You could sell your stuff and bank some cash. Doing this would be a ton of work by the way.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:49 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
A garage sale is like an estate sale, but nobody has to die. It has worked for us many times, usually as moving sales.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:24 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
A garage sale is like an estate sale, but nobody has to die. It has worked for us many times, usually as moving sales.
Yeh, you can pay someone to set it up as an estate sale where you aren't even there or you can figure out the prices for yourself and have a gigantic garage sale. Sad though that things aren't worth that much anymore. I used to have a small antiques booth so I knew my prices pretty well back when I first started to downsize but most things that I still have now are undesirable--even sterling silver, except for melt value.

If you do it yourself you could probably do some research on ebay by checking Completeds.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:35 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
We call those yard sales.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:48 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
There is a thread over in Caregivers, "Nobody wants your stuff." Kids today. OTOH, my daughter was invited to select anything of mine and I have her letter listing that stuff included in my last wishes letter.
An estate sale means different things. Some places call it a tag sale others think it is a yard or garage sale.
To me that is a great idea. Some of our best stuff came from estate or tag sales where a professional came in and priced everything. ** The Owners set a minimum for negotiating during the sale. Anything left went to a yard sale or thrift store.

** My best bit of estate sale is the doors off of Robert Fulton's desk where he sat to design the Clermont. With letters of provenance.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:54 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
estate sales are for all the stuff left over when somebody dies; anything else is a garage sale or tag sale or yard sale or whatever.

We're pretty much done with dispossessing ourselves of stuff. I'm down to about three 20-gallon tubs of mementoes, plus a large suitcase of clothes and a small one of incidentals.

The house is still adequately furnished, and we're hoping the buyer will want it all (they don't get to pick and choose, but there's not a bunch of junk). If they don't want it all, we have a waiting list for the couch and a really nice dresser. Leftovers will go to a financially-challenged neighbor family, who will sell some and keep some. They were even excited to take old bed pillows that I had planned to throw away. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:16 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
That's what downsizing is to me. I am having to do that over the next two summers myself. It's basically a garage sale.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:42 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
It's called a yard or garage sale, after death it's an estate sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement