Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:19 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,309 times

Advertisements

I guess squirrels have more sense then 42% of Americans. Squirrels know to save for lean times. Our brains are bigger than squirrels, we should know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 09:22 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
As the commercial says,
Quote:
I'm 85 and I want to go home
http://hollywoodlife.com/2018/02/04/...-etrade-video/

Yes I know it is just a marketing effort to get money out of people. However it is for some a entertaining one. I love it. Saw it when it first played at Super bowl and when the game was over watched it over and over for awhile.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I guess squirrels have more sense then 42% of Americans. Squirrels know to save for lean times. Our brains are bigger than squirrels, we should know better.
Unless they live in a neighborhood with lots of well stocked year round squirrel/bird feeders which can perhaps over time short circuit their self preservation circuitry for long term savings and have them just hide enough for the short term.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:46 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I read the article early today as part of my daily CNBC read. I found it very good and very insightful for its targeted audience which isn't many people in this forum. It would be better received in other forums. It is intended for people with investments who read about investments and who have a very different perspective on financing retirement for themselves. The author is very accomplished and personal finance is her beat as you can see from her bio.

Again wealth and what is needed for retirement is in the eyes of the individual and their family. Many times we see articles linked intended for one audience trashed in here by folks it was not intended for. I suspect those of us who routinely read the personal finance section on CNBC and other financial publications find articles like this to our liking.

Jessica Dickler
Jessica Dickler CNBC
Personal Finance Writer

Jessica Dickler is a contributing writer and editor covering personal finance for CNBC.com.

As an award-winning financial journalist, Dickler has covered national news, the economy, real estate, retail, personal finance and consumer spending. Prior to joining CNBC, she worked for CNNMoney.com, SmartMoney.com and WSJ.com. She is also a regular contributor and columnist for HGTV Magazine.

Dickler holds a bachelor's degree in Political Science and Art History from Johns Hopkins University and a master's degree from the School of International and Public Affairs at Columbia University
Typical northeast elite living in the proverbial bubble for all of her life. Couldn't survive a night in a Motel 6 if her life depended on it.

These articles are written for upper middle class spendthrifts, in an effort to convince them to change their ways.

The bulk of the population doesn't have the resources to accumulate the wealth required to fund a retirement 100%. A modest SS check, and the ability not to have to work anymore, suits many just fine.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I keep hearing about “those folks†but I can honestly say I have never met a single one. I guess I just never hung with the “right crowd.â€

The people I know who have struggled to make ends meet never had that opportunity.
Yes, that seems to be the common stereotypes on retirement forums. Everybody makes the same amount of money, has the same life path, but one group saves and the other group doesn't. I don't see how anyone can view the issue with such simplicity.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:22 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
More useless statistics. Of course, if you consider how many are on welfare, SSI, disability, or just living hand to mouth. Then theres all the people who have been financially by a divorce or bankrupted by medical expenses. We live in an Rv park in a retirement area. We've met lots of folks who have found out ways to get by. We know one land that is 85, and works at Walmart.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I've been saying forever on these boards and to people I know that the "work until 65" model broke a long time ago. Most people lose good paying employment or get burned out or have health problems the preclude them working in high pay/high stress jobs by the time they hit their 50s. They don't have as much time to save for retirement as they think they do.

I feel like no one listens.

Most people are still operating on an outdated script in their heads about how they think life is supposed to go and the things they think they are supposed to have.
One change I think, is that employers used to "carry" people to retirement age, even if their productivity had fallen off. Now they just fire them.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Typical northeast elite living in the proverbial bubble for all of her life. Couldn't survive a night in a Motel 6 if her life depended on it.

These articles are written for upper middle class spendthrifts, in an effort to convince them to change their ways.

The bulk of the population doesn't have the resources to accumulate the wealth required to fund a retirement 100%. A modest SS check, and the ability not to have to work anymore, suits many just fine.
Bada Bing! Yup, exactly a targeted audience CNBC audience.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:40 PM

573 posts, read 586,059 times
I will be almost 35 when I graduate college. Since I will be starting so late in the workforce I won't ever have enough to retire. Will just work until I am 65-70 then I plan on dying of a heart attack or something from stress and poverty :shrug:

Old 03-10-2018, 03:53 PM

363 posts, read 349,918 times
sounds like a plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement