Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:59 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times

Advertisements

I think they don't want people to know they are single, their not interested in any dating. Or they like the rings and just left them on. Or they can't get the ring off and just left it on.
There was a many pages thread here awhile ago, I forgot the title, where the great majority of widowed retired women don't want to remarry.

Last edited by V8 Vega; 03-06-2018 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 09:14 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Why would they need to take them off? That ring is a symbol and bond of their love and just because a partner has passed doesn’t mean that bond is gone.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:20 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I think they don't want people to know they are single, their not interested in any dating. Or they like the rings and just left them on. Or they can't get the ring off and just left it on.
There was a many pages thread here awhile ago, I forgot the title, where the great majority of widowed retired women don't want to remarry.

Think a little deeper.....it's not about showing you or others their status regarding marriage.

More about the bond they had with spouse. Very painful to lose that bond...she might feel still very tied to her husband.

Until she wants to remove rings, or if she never does, it's none of your business.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:23 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,486 times
V8 Vega,

Grief is both an emotion and a process. A wife doesn't just stop loving her husband just because he died. The process of grief is about finding a way to continue the bond. It is not about finding a way to forget or "move on". Acceptance does not mean forgetting.

Spuggy is correct. The wedding ring is a symbol of their love and is very difficult emotionally to remove. In point of fact, unless you are marrying someone else, there really is no reason to HAVE to remove the ring.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Because they want to. So what?

Old 03-06-2018, 09:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Why would they need to take them off? That ring is a symbol and bond of their love and just because a partner has passed doesn’t mean that bond is gone.
I grew up in western NY state in the Forties and Fifties, and widows kept their rings on. I presume they did so because they considered themselves still married to their deceased husbands emotionally.

My mother removed hers only when the man she began dating four or five years later asked her to marry him.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:11 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
I know a woman whose husband died 15 years ago and she has kept his recording on their home answering machine. Oddly they had a tumultuous marriage and had been separated for 6 months in the year he died, though were living together at the time of his death.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:14 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
Just because her husband died does not mean the marriage did.

Unless she wants to remove her rings, why in the world would anyone else care?

Now, if divorced and wearing the rings, we've got another conversation.

(Full disclosure: I am divorced. I liked that ring but that marriage was over so I don't wear it.)

Old 03-06-2018, 10:23 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Why are some senior women preoccupied with what other women do? I will always wear my rings whether he's living or gone AND I've been wearing my mother's wedding band as well since she passed in 2003.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:30 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I can't imagine wanting to remarry if my husband precedes me in death. As for the wedding rings, I've never asked anyone why they still wear them after their husband's death, but I imagine the reasons are as varied as the people who do it. These reasons would include, I imagine, the ones you have listed, and might include others such as feeling closer to a lost spouse by wearing those rings, or it's such a habit it never dawned on a widow to take them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement