Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:37 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Another thread has inspired me, but I've narrowed my search down somewhat. Requirements include something akin to four seasons, walkable/bikable distance to beach and basic necessities (grocery, restaurants, etc.), an easy commute to additional amenities like a university, gym, Meetup groups, dance opportunities, kayaking, hospital, culture, natural areas, etc. This must also must be a popular vacation destination so I can rent out my property during peak tourist season. If it were also tax-friendly to retirees, with a relatively low COL, all the better.

Hope I get half the feedback the other poster got!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 10:18 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Kitty Hawk, Virginia Beach. You know anything near the water is going to cost more.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:39 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
A number of my friends have retired to coastal So. Carolina, it doesn't appeal to me for a number of reasons but I can see the appeal for others so worth checking out.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:30 AM

532 posts, read 445,604 times
Just to explain my expertise in this area

I lived in Havelock, NC for 9 years (1980s), 4years USMC at Cherry Point then stayed and went back to school at East Carolina in Greenville which was a 60 mile commute (long but easy light traffic). Joined the Army in 1992 somehow ended up retired in Alaska. per USMC I've also lived near the beaches of Tampa FL, Oceanside CA, Kailua , HI and Okinawa Japan.

Coastal North Carolina just south of Cape Hatteras. Look at Emerald Isle (a barrier island) you have the ocean on one side and the sound on the other side. I've paddled /kayaked in both. My favorite kayaking was near Beaufort NC, sound and ocean, shot through the Inlet and was buzzed by dolphins. There are also Rivers for paddling that lead to the ocean.

Community Colleges in Carteret County and then another about 30miles inland, Craven County, closest University East Carolina in Greenville, I think about 90miles from the coast

Hospitals in Morehead City, not to big though
Another in New Bern NC and then a very big University Hospital in Greenville, my daughter was born there.

Not really 4 seasons but will need to wear a light jacket in Winter.
During the off season if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle you can get a pass and drive on some areas of the beach.

Dancing - hmm don't know
Gym - I used the base

Vacation spot, Its south of Cape Hatteras so probably lighter on vacation tourism but also lighter on traffic and a good commutable connection to the mainland for cheaper shopping than the beach. Also doesn't quite stick out like Cape Hatteras so I think less prone to Hurricanes.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:43 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Another thread has inspired me, but I've narrowed my search down somewhat. Requirements include something akin to four seasons, walkable/bikable distance to beach and basic necessities (grocery, restaurants, etc.), an easy commute to additional amenities like a university, gym, Meetup groups, dance opportunities, kayaking, hospital, culture, natural areas, etc. This must also must be a popular vacation destination so I can rent out my property during peak tourist season. If it were also tax-friendly to retirees, with a relatively low COL, all the better.

Hope I get half the feedback the other poster got!
Sandbridge Beach - Virginia Beach, VA

Whats your budget? Closer to water cost more $.

The areas you are looking for usually don't equal a low COL. You won't get everything on your wish list. But I suppose we all have to compromise some things. We got most of our wish list.

Good Luck!

Old 03-07-2018, 12:58 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
Coastal North Carolina just south of Cape Hatteras. Look at Emerald Isle (a barrier island) you have the ocean on one side and the sound on the other side. I've paddled /kayaked in both. My favorite kayaking was near Beaufort NC, sound and ocean, shot through the Inlet and was buzzed by dolphins. There are also Rivers for paddling that lead to the ocean.

Community Colleges in Carteret County and then another about 30miles inland, Craven County, closest University East Carolina in Greenville, I think about 90miles from the coast

Hospitals in Morehead City, not to big though
Another in New Bern NC and then a very big University Hospital in Greenville, my daughter was born there.

Not really 4 seasons but will need to wear a light jacket in Winter.
Partial quote - I am a long time NC native and don't completely agree about "just a light jacket." Because of the moisture content and prevalence of stiff breezes, it can be brutal at 45 down on the coast and sometimes it does get to freezing. Short winters, but don't get rid of all your heavy jackets.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:09 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Partial quote - I am a long time NC native and don't completely agree about "just a light jacket." Because of the moisture content and prevalence of stiff breezes, it can be brutal at 45 down on the coast and sometimes it does get to freezing. Short winters, but don't get rid of all your heavy jackets.
2nd that

Old 03-07-2018, 02:57 PM

532 posts, read 445,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post

YES
I will concede on the light jacket

I live in Fairbanks now, today is 20, no wind and sunny, just about warm enough for shorts and a T-shirt.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:00 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Love OBX, but seems pretty isolated and remote?

Old 03-07-2018, 03:04 PM

983 posts, read 2,772,988 times
How about Rehoboth Beach, DE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement