Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
So what do you do if you retire at 62 for medical insurance? ...
1) HSA (Health Savings acct) w/high deductible ~ $200 - $400 / month
2) use your nest egg to fund full benefits ~$1200/ month
3) get a part-time job with benefits (Bus driver / school employee)
4) Find a volunteer position that will cover 'light medical' + use HSA
5) Become a student and get a 'preferred' rate (tho these have ratcheted up recently for OLD students, of which I'm one)
6) Find a medically friendly foreign destination
7) Move to a country where you can afford to pay your own way
8) take frequent trips to Mexico for drugs and care
9) take the risk, stay healthy, pay for checkups
10) get into a 'self-employment' policy using rentals / part-time income
11) get adopted or marry into coverage
12) put spouse to work for benefits, you can travel

be creative

...999) keep working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 03:56 AM

106,593 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
well I would have another 13 years to collect at 62..who knows what will happen past then...

fancy meeting you here co....

as far as taking social security,ill wait as long as i can.. heres my thought:

for evey year i wait its like getting an extra 8% raise...
forget the old school thinking about what if i die or what age will i break even..thats thinking from our parents generation

current thinking is if you have the resourses(assets) to delay taking it, instead of say withdrawing 4% of your inflation adjusted nest egg each year take say 6% right from day 1... why?

because if you live long enough to collect you have the comfort of knowing your nest egg will be replenished with about 30% more in payments later on refilling the extra dough your pulling out now so you have more money each year while your still healthy and able to enjoy alot of things you may not be able to do later on..

think of it as almost as if your buying an annuity with the money you lay out between 62 and 70 that will give you or your spouse a lifetime of higher payments...

your nest egg will be refilled starting at age 70 with a much larger stream of money and that will go on forever...

to me its not about dying with the biggest pile of money but rather living the best darn life we can while we can.

to me retirement isnt about surviving and getting by... its about enjoying the fruits of a lifetime of work,savings and sacrifice and living better now then before

Old 02-01-2009, 11:50 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

forget the old school thinking about what if i die or what age will i break even..thats thinking from our parents generation

current thinking is if you have the resourses(assets) to delay taking it, instead of say withdrawing 4% of your inflation adjusted nest egg each year take say 6% right from day 1... why?

because if you live long enough to collect you have the comfort of knowing your nest egg will be replenished with about 30% more in payments later on refilling the extra dough your pulling out now so you have more money each year while your still healthy and able to enjoy alot of things you may not be able to do later on..

think of it as almost as if your buying an annuity with the money you lay out between 62 and 70 that will give you or your spouse a lifetime of higher payments...

your nest egg will be refilled starting at age 70 with a much larger stream of money and that will go on forever...

to me its not about dying with the biggest pile of money but rather living the best darn life we can while we can.

to me retirement isnt about surviving and getting by... its about enjoying the fruits of a lifetime of work,savings and sacrifice and living better now then before
Very good observations... SS with its escalation with age to 70, COL provisions, today's higher life expectancy, and spousal benefits is equivilent to a very expensive annuity so unless the government screws with the formula it is very reasonable to burn resources to wait for higher payments.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:52 AM

yep it is actually much cheaper than trying to buy an annuity to do the same thing. i priced it both ways.. i tried running it at 62 and taking social secirity as well buying an immeadiate annuity to kick in at 70 and wow the annuity price was way higher

to many people only think of the break even point and elect to go with 62 but theres alot more creativity to that decision then can be apperant

Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
If they don't change the laws, I plan to take at 62 and then cancel it at 66 1/2 and reapply for full benefits. I have to pay back the 4.5 years of payments which I've calculated into my retirement plan.

For me, that means I get to keep my money earning appreciation while collecting gov't money for 4.5 years after which I "pay back" the loan.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:43 PM

yes alot have caught on to that idea

Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
and hope they live long enough to 'break-even' again (after paying back early earnings).

Should be able to make a judgment on that, based upon your health and gene pool, and lots of good luck. I think I will be exercising more if I use that plan!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:24 PM

well if your married your spouse will get that higher payment if you crapped out..

Old 02-02-2009, 05:01 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
I don't see how most people can live on the $13k you are allowed to earn plus the reduced benefits at 62...I'm going to keep working as long as I possibly can, there's nothing better that the government could offer me, than a full time, full benefit job. Am I missing something here?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

I wanted to take it at 62, but did not, then the economy crashed. Now, I have waited a year, and do realize, when you hit 65 out does come medicare
which is 100.00. I still am going to wait. I do think it as the cat and mouse game! what bugs me if you take it early is medicare payments! at age 65. you really do need to think it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement