Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:07 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times

Advertisements

That's often on the "bucket list" at this time of life, and I wonder how that works for people. Share your horror story here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:20 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
It wasn't a horror story but....

Moved to a different state on the coast. After 3 yrs., moved back. It wasn't a mistake as I completely enjoyed it there but...

crime, heat and humidity, neighbors (in a townhouse which WAS a mistake), cost of living etc. etc.

Glad I did it but also happy to be back in cool, lush mountains with no neighbors in sight.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:35 AM

I assume this was your "beach retirement dream" which so many of us share and plan for years in advance. Did you buy property in the new location and, if so, was it problematic reselling it and/or finding something when you returned home?

Old 05-01-2018, 11:46 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
I had vacationed there many times, Charleston SC, which has so much more to offer than beach. Yes, I bought a townhome but almost immediately despised that neighbors knock and visit whenever they choose and the supposed adults whine and fight like little kids.

In the three yrs prop prices significantly increased so I made a profit plus sold it to the first person who laid eyes on it.

Bought a sfh in the mts, a few acres for peace.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:49 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,339,476 times
I think some people move several times in retirement. My observations are that they tend to move within their retirement community or to a community in the general area. Some may buy a summer home in another retirement area or just retain their work home. The lesson for a new retire is to put a lot of planning into what you want in a community, the area of the community you want to live in and the amenities you want in your home. Seems like the trend is to get a big retirement home after a couple of years in the new retirement community. Pay attention to storage space and the size of the garage (extra storage).
Toward the end of retirement or when one spouse dies their is the possibility that you will want to move back to the area your family is in.
When you look at the community pay attention to the surroundings. Bumper to bumper traffic? (don't forget vacation season if you are in a resort area), food shopping, restaurants (and wait time), doctors, HOA and zoning restrictions.
If you can rent to test out the area. If you can move into a rental for a year and use some of the time to check out all the retirement places in the area.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:18 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,426 times
Yes, but it wasn't a regrettable regret. We retired, still in our 50s, to Florida. We built a nice home, lived in it for six years, then sold it to return to MA. We were grateful for the experience. Two years ago we purchased a snowbird home, again in FL, used it for two winters and we just sold it. We were grateful for that experience too. We're now 68 and 71 and talking with realtors about moving again but staying in MA. What's the big deal?

Old 05-01-2018, 12:35 PM

Well, for some, moving (selling your home, leaving your community, uprooting your whole life after many years) is a big deal. I guess in an increasingly mobile society it's seen as "no big deal" to others.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:41 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,846 times
It's funny because in another thread I was just mentioning how I know quite a number of coworkers who retired, did the beach thing or Florida and moved back within a year because they simply missed their family. mainly grandkids.

lol, I read a book called "the florida move guide" by Ron Stack. You'd be surprised by the number of seniors that live out their bucket list fantasy of moving to Florida, only to end up moving back to where they came from (for various reason)

Old 05-01-2018, 12:45 PM

I've known a few people who've done the same, and it was a bit embarrassing for them... Sort of a "shaking the dust of this town off my feet and livin' the dream" only to come (not crawling, but come) back a year or two later. I guess you don't know what you don't know, but I'd like to be as well-prepared as possible in order to make a success of any move I make in retirement. Moving is a lot of work and expensive, and especially if you end up taking a hit on real estate transactions on either end of it.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:49 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,707 times
Then there was the couple who posted here for advice who had moved from the Philadelphia area to South Carolina to be by their children and grandchildren and to buy a large retirement home. It was a big culture shock and they missed their friends but would have lost a lot of money selling their year old home and could not afford to move back. I often wonder what they did and if they stayed and grew to like South Carolina. I plan to rent for a year if I relocate even if it costs me more in the short term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement