Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,740 times

Advertisements

Many, many wonderful posts.

Many, many wonderful dreams that have come true for people.

I work over 50 hours a week on construction jobs away from home.

I see that a good life will be possible some day.

Thank You All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 11:09 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
When I retired (the first time anyway) it gave me time to sit with zero distraction. I was very disturbed at some of the things I was able to put together from looking back at events of my life.

Relationships, jobs, tragic events, direction I was heading, etc. It was like staring at a gruesome car wreck.

When you don't have to maintain the charades and routines that the rat race demands, reality can be pretty shocking. I had to go back to working part-time just to have something to numb me back to being functional.

I shudder at the thought of ever having nothing to keep my time structured and mind moving.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:34 PM

7 posts, read 8,899 times
I retired April 2016 so, about 9 months ago. My wife also retired at the same time and we moved from Wisconsin to Florida. This was planned.

After I retired, I called 5-6 people I worked with and even e-mailed them. After about 2-3 month of me doing the calling and e-mailing, I stopped and have only heard from one person. These were people I worked with daily for almost 20 years! It bothered me at first but I realized that these people were part of my past life and I had started a new chapter called RETIREMENT.

We love our new home in our new community. We have made many new friends who were in a similar situation, having moved from somewhere else to enjoy their retirement years. We made it through our first summer in Florida and are now enjoying winter temps of 70 degrees during the day. We are as busy as we choose to be with many clubs and activities in our community. Life is good.

We do have daughters and grandchildren and while we do miss them, we FaceTime them 2-3 times a week and they have both been down to visit us since we are 45 minutes from Disney parks.

One final thing - our expenses have decreased from our working years! You don't need a million bucks to retire.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:19 PM

39 posts, read 108,575 times
Dennis 11003 This is a nice post! So you didn't snow bird just moved right to Florida! I really want to relocate to Florida but I hear so many good things then bad things - bugs, humidity, condos way expensive... This gives me hope anyway.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:49 AM

8 posts, read 7,519 times
I have been retired only slightly over 1 month. I am loving it, so far. I changed gears mentally as I drove away from work the last day. I told myself that I was headed for real life now. I only occasionally think about work, that is a surprise.

I am not moving, all of my family is here. I am home.
I hear from some work friends, and we have a lunch meeting planned. I am not sure how long that will continue. I will take it as it comes.

Like most things in life, we plan, but reality looks completely different. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:42 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis11003 View Post
I retired April 2016 so, about 9 months ago. My wife also retired at the same time and we moved from Wisconsin to Florida. This was planned.

After I retired, I called 5-6 people I worked with and even e-mailed them. After about 2-3 month of me doing the calling and e-mailing, I stopped and have only heard from one person. These were people I worked with daily for almost 20 years! It bothered me at first but I realized that these people were part of my past life and I had started a new chapter called RETIREMENT.

We love our new home in our new community. We have made many new friends who were in a similar situation, having moved from somewhere else to enjoy their retirement years. We made it through our first summer in Florida and are now enjoying winter temps of 70 degrees during the day. We are as busy as we choose to be with many clubs and activities in our community. Life is good.

We do have daughters and grandchildren and while we do miss them, we FaceTime them 2-3 times a week and they have both been down to visit us since we are 45 minutes from Disney parks.

One final thing - our expenses have decreased from our working years! You don't need a million bucks to retire.
if you want to keep in touch with people you worked with, try social media.

I still keep in touch with people I worked with back in the late 80s. We met again on facebook.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Its been over ten years for me and yesterday I learned that sometimes I love it and sometimes I hate it.

Yesterday I was asked if I loved retirement and at that moment I quickly and firmly said NO! I think I scared her - lol.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:08 PM

987 posts, read 1,385,676 times
I retired when I was 49 yrs old from the U.S. government, military and civil service and relocated, retired overseas in the Philippines permanently.
19 yrs later at age 68, I'm still enjoying my retirement lifestyle, with my wife of course. It's just the two us in our own home (mortgage free). Life is good.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:53 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Clemencia53, isn't not liking retirement almost the same as not liking life? I mean retirement is living life. And one's life can be full or empty or somewhere in-between, and pretty enjoyable or lesser so. Or do you not see it that way?

To me saying one does not like retirement is saying one does not particularly like life. One's inner life can be rich with ideas and interesting thoughts as supplied by interests, as well as one's activities being rich or feeling somewhat empty, frustrating, bored, unchallenging.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Clemencia53, isn't not liking retirement almost the same as not liking life? I mean retirement is living life. And one's life can be full or empty or somewhere in-between, and pretty enjoyable or lesser so. Or do you not see it that way?

To me saying one does not like retirement is saying one does not particularly like life. One's inner life can be rich with ideas and interesting thoughts as supplied by interests, as well as one's activities being rich or feeling somewhat empty, frustrating, bored, unchallenging.
No, you are thinking way too deep.

The lady was bothering me. I'm not a morning talker. We were on a short group outing and this person would not be quiet. It was also my second try at giving up coffee. And she was hard of hearing. I had to keep repeating my answers to questions I didn't want to answer.

It was 10 minutes of hating retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement