Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 07:19 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I call BS. You are watching too much HGTV. Old fixtures that are period to the original build are fine.

re.
Sorry M3, I have to disagree. Period pieces and old fixtures appeal to a very small % of population. Here in Philly people are fighting this battle constantly. Now philly is the birthplace of the country, 1776 yada yada yada. we have a section here in town called, get ready for it...lol Old city that has original homes.

The houses are aesthetically beautiful on the outside but they are very hard to update and costly.
the houses are super small (lol people in 1776 were smaller and skinnier go figure) and many of the new appliances and modern stuff that sells houses can't fit into them. don't even get me started on the cost of trying to put in better HVAC systems.

I have a good friend regretting purchasing her old home for the expense it's costing to update the place.

personally I think the opposite. I advise anyone that is considering an older home to watch HGTV and buy a newer place. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 07:22 AM

to answer the OP,
op when my dad died we sold his house quicker than you can blink. It was an old pre wwII brownstone in Harlem NY. you can't imagine the money to upkeep that sucka.
I have 3 siblings and not one of us wanted that thing. now my dad had a will so wasn't any fighting to be had and 3 out of the 4 of us don't live in NY anymore and no one is moving back.

I've got this headache now. My late husband collected sports memorabilia. crap is all over my basement. can't throw it out because it's signed stuff and my sons don't want it.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:29 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
She wants to sell it at market value.
If I could buy it undermarket, I'd give it some thought.
End of discussion. Wish her well and move on.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:35 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
to answer the OP,
op when my dad died we sold his house quicker than you can blink. It was an old pre wwII brownstone in Harlem NY. you can't imagine the money to upkeep that sucka.
I have 3 siblings and not one of us wanted that thing. now my dad had a will so wasn't any fighting to be had and 3 out of the 4 of us don't live in NY anymore and no one is moving back.

I've got this headache now. My late husband collected sports memorabilia. crap is all over my basement. can't throw it out because it's signed stuff and my sons don't want it.
Why not just give it away? The sports stuff..

Old 10-16-2018, 07:39 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
THIS, is exactly why I have posted what I did in other similar threads.

My mother did this and I have repeated this idea. It makes decisions easier on what to do with the contents of a house. When my mother passed on, there was zero squabbling with my siblings.

1, Parents, go through your house and list EVERYTHING that is an heirloom, special keepsake, or valuable (such as, mom's gold earrings, an antique piece of furniture, a priceless vase, great grannie's soup tureen, etc)

2, sit down and go over the list with ONE mature, fair-minded offspring and decide who gets what. Write their name beside the item listed. Have your parent/s sign it!!! Photo copy it and hand out a copy to all siblings.

3, make all the siblings aware of the list. Let them read it so they realize that they have no say in the matter. It is the parent's wishes and decision.

When the parent/s pass on or move out, each child gets whatever their name is listed on. If they don't want it, then they can decide which other sibling gets it. If no one wants it, give it away to charity or sell it.

Note: I was very disappointed that I didn't get an antique wooden hall rack that I always admired. It stood in our hallway, and my mother had for years. I didn't say a thing when I didn't get it, because my brother's name was on the listed item. Fair is fair.
yes but in the posters case - no one wants any of the stuff.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Why not just give it away? The sports stuff..
I think that's the route I'm going to take.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:12 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
I think we're talking apples and oranges. The OP is being offered the house if he wants to buy it at fair market value. It's not an inheritance. There is a huge difference between the two.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:26 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Her house and those other tri-levels (mostly built in the 1960s) are much, much smaller than the split foyers built in the 1970s. It's about 1,200 sq.ft, and a very "segmented" 1,200 sq. ft. It feels small.

It's just not what people want these days.
Oh please. We sold my late mother in law's similar house a few weeks ago for $120K in 3 days. It was purchased by a retired gentleman. You don't need to update it to sell it, just fix things that are broken. The buyers get to paint and carpet and remodel if they want.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:43 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I wonder when my mother goes if my sisters and I will be able to sell my two brothers who still live there along with the house. Hmm. One has a bad spine, the other a bad heart, but the one with the bad heart works like a horse and keeps up the house and yard. The other one plays video games. I don't think we'll get much for him.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:23 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wonder when my mother goes if my sisters and I will be able to sell my two brothers who still live there along with the house. Hmm. One has a bad spine, the other a bad heart, but the one with the bad heart works like a horse and keeps up the house and yard. The other one plays video games. I don't think we'll get much for him.
Ha; everyone else throws in the appliances but you have two brothers! My grandma left the family home to all of her children but with one stipulation; that the youngest sibling be able to live there, for free, for the rest of his life.

There are valid reasons for this; my uncle lives in an upstairs apartment & the other two floors are currently rented out separately. It a big brick house that my grandpa bought in the 1940’s in Boulder, just blocks from the CU campus (& Jon Benet Ramsey’s house).

It is worth literally millions & has become the family equivalent of “When my ship comes in” (when Lincoln street sells ... )

I personally hope my uncle lives comfortably there for as long as he has ... He’s an eccentric aging hippie, somewhat infamous in Boulder for being the first juvenile ever arrested, later became Alan Ginsberg’s personal photographer, as well as being the photographer for a Janis Joplin album & Crosby, Stills & Nash ... & now tends his renowned cacti garden on the south side of the house, just doing his thing ... Nobody’s allowed to toss in my uncle!

Now, my oldest uncle has an unusual trust set up for my cousins. I think it’s called a Legacy Trust? It’s an all real estate trust but none of the properties can be sold; they can only be traded for more property. Not sure if I’m stating that correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement