Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 11:54 AM

10 posts, read 8,665 times

Advertisements

I have some questions about Social Security specific to my husband’s current job situation and possibly filing early at 63. I have never used a financial planner and only want a one time sit down to clear up some questions. Any suggestions for how to find someone? And what should I expect for the cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 11:59 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
When I was newly widowed I needed some advice. Luckily my local bank had a trust department; I sat down with a very nice woman who went over all my financial info and gave me good advice, for free. At the time I was being pressured by one of my financial (IRA) providers to change some annuities I had to their company. She showed me how I was better off leaving them where they were.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:30 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Do you have one that you use already? Most FP's want to at least get a look at your entire financial picture so not sure you would find one willing to invest that time with you only to answer some SS questions.
Also you would have to find one who is up on all the ins and out of Social security, that may take longer than one meet and great.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:52 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,546 times
What about making an appointment with Social Security?

Old 10-16-2018, 01:07 PM

10 posts, read 8,665 times
Thanks for the advice about trying our bank. I had not thought of that.
As far as talking to SS, what I am looking for is partly information, but also advice. I don’t think they would provide the advice part.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:25 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
You are correct that SS can not offer advice. You may also get incorrect info. BUT if the office is close by stop in and learn whatever you can then see the advisor. You might also be able to get the info over the phone or on their web site.

Banks can be high cost options if you buy product through them or related planers they recommend so be careful.

Try https://www.garrettplanningnetwork.com/ to find a one time planner. Never used but their name has come up favorably several times. Do a web search for reputation.

A CPA maybe able to help. They do work on an hourly basis. Some are certified for financial planning. Be sure to ask if they know SS as they may not practice in this area. This site should help you find one. https://www.aicpa.org/interestareas/...lplanning.html

Old 10-16-2018, 05:58 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Cpa’s Area of expertise is corporate auditing .they are usually the worst people to go to for financial planning .most know very little about retirement tax planning as well. As cpa’s It just is not what they do.

Our financial planner works with an estate attorney / elder law attorney and a tax attorney where needed .

Old 10-17-2018, 04:10 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Default I don't think one visit will be enough

I can't see how one visit will be enough to receive the needed advice. Plan on three visits.

First visit:
Meet and greet. Explain your needs. Receive a list of information you need to provide to the Planner for them to deliver the desired services.

Second Visit:
Deliver the information and answer additional questions relative to your needs and desires.

Third Visit:
Receive and review the detailed plan prepared for you.

If your finances are simple, meaning few accounts, and you are highly informed as to their location and status, maybe it can be done in two visits.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:30 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,931 times
You want someone to sell you an annuity, insurance, muni bonds, or a mutual fund? Cause a financial planner will be more than happy to meet with ya.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:39 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Try https://www.garrettplanningnetwork.com/ to find a one time planner. Never used but their name has come up favorably several times. Do a web search for reputation.
Also seek a fee-only financial planner at: https://www.napfa.org/

They earn their income from a check you will write to them for their time and advice, not from commissions on products that they want to sell to you.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement