Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 06:36 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

We like cold weather, and we do not mind a bit of snow.

We wanted to live rural in a region that is not prone to droughts.

We have cheap land with dense forest, river frontage, an overabundance of wildlife, and very low Cost-of-living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 06:47 PM

605 posts, read 335,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Gosh, we get 4 feet snow from Dec thru March at our house every year..That’s nothing. The county plows the road and we put winter tires on our Subarus. It’s nice having four seasons.
The county plows our roads also. Only one day last year the loader was broken. So on that day, if I was scheduled, I wouldn't not made it to work. My goal is to live 10 minutes away, at higher elevation. so I can experience more snow and less heat during the summer. There are only forest service cabins where I wish to reside. Hence we could only live there 1/2 the year at the most.

Btw, I suspect we live within an hour of so of one another.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We like cold weather, and we do not mind a bit of snow.

We wanted to live rural in a region that is not prone to droughts.

We have cheap land with dense forest, river frontage, an overabundance of wildlife, and very low Cost-of-living.
So, in other words, you live in paradise!!

Old 10-18-2018, 11:04 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I want to live some place where there is only one season-Summer. As I get older, I do have trouble dealing with extreme heat, but have no problem with running an A/C. I live for July and August and 2 months is just not enough time. The ideal temps for me are between 80 and 85F. Below 65, I want to hibernate. I also loathe long dark cloudy days and absolutely detest snow. I can't shovel it any more and have a great fear of falling on the ice. I would have so much more room if I didn't need coats and boots and I would save $$ by not having to buy any or clothes for so many different types of weather. COL would be my #1 concern and weather would be the second.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:23 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If the weather is perfect all year round, the cost of housing/living is way too high. Think SF Bay area, Honolulu, Santa Barbara.
Think SF Bay area? Perhaps you need to think a little more carefully, San Francisco has horrible weather, it is not like many other parts of CA. It has miserable cold summers there and it seems to always be raining and overcast on all the many business trips I've been forced to go there over the years. It isn't NYC, it is a little town with streets with very steep hills which make it hard to walk on. There is simply some sort of pretentiousness about San Francisco which frankly is not justified.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
It sounds as though you are venting about making a bad choice. I cannot tell if you are looking for validation, sympathy, or advice. I am not too good on the former. City Data is a great place to research alternatives. There are plenty of inexpensive places with better weather and clean air. I would start looking. Otherwise it sounds like you are not happy with the alternatives and being house bound. Knitting and reading the supervisor's biography sound like killing time until you die. There are plenty of exciting and interesting things to do with your life.
I didn't make a bad choice but yes, I could be venting a little. Winters can be long.
Overall it is most everything we've dreamed of.

We could get everything we dream of maybe somewhere else but do not wish to move away from family

Last edited by BumbleBeeHunter; 10-19-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 10-19-2018, 09:24 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
I'm currently in southern NE. The cold in the winters is getting to be tedious and an issue. Otherwise, it's good.

There are a lot of places in this country where COL is just flat out insane. Most sun-belt coastal zones. Most of the sun-belt, for that matter. But there are a lot of places where a person can still buy a house for less than $100k. I was surprised when somebody told me you could find places where livable houses could still be had for less than $50k, but it's true. Easily verified by spending some time on a real estate site.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:05 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
So, in other words, you live in paradise!!
This thread is in the 'retirement' sub-forum, and Maine has the oldest average age according to the US Census, with the highest percentage of retirees.

I migrated here after I retired, and we have met many fellow retirees. Most of whom migrated here after they retired.

Some people do not like Winter. There are other places for those people to move to.

Maine is well suited to folks who want to remain active in their retirement. We have over 16,000 miles of sled trails connecting every town and every vista point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I'm currently in southern NE. The cold in the winters is getting to be tedious and an issue. Otherwise, it's good.

There are a lot of places in this country where COL is just flat out insane. Most sun-belt coastal zones. Most of the sun-belt, for that matter. But there are a lot of places where a person can still buy a house for less than $100k. I was surprised when somebody told me you could find places where livable houses could still be had for less than $50k, but it's true. Easily verified by spending some time on a real estate site.
I used to live in Coastal Connecticut. I found that living inside the snow-belt region, for me, was too much. My Dw and I prefer living well North of the snow-belt. It was also very expensive, and the crime was higher than I was comfortable with.

I have a subscription to Zillow where they send me real estate ads whenever a home in my county goes on the market for under $40k. It is interesting to me, to be reminded of how many homes exist in that price range.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I want to live some place where there is only one season-Summer. As I get older, I do have trouble dealing with extreme heat, but have no problem with running an A/C. I live for July and August and 2 months is just not enough time. The ideal temps for me are between 80 and 85F. Below 65, I want to hibernate. I also loathe long dark cloudy days and absolutely detest snow. I can't shovel it any more and have a great fear of falling on the ice. I would have so much more room if I didn't need coats and boots and I would save $$ by not having to buy any or clothes for so many different types of weather. COL would be my #1 concern and weather would be the second.
Your ideal temps are here at the equator. Very low COL. Lots of retirees.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:29 AM

245 posts, read 152,913 times
I wouldn't retire anywhere just to save money. I lived in Houston, a city I hated with a passion, for decades because I had a high-paying job that would be difficult to find in a different city. Also, the cost of living was low there which let me save more for retirement (and ultimately retire earlier).

I'd work longer if it would mean retiring to a more desirable location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement