Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 04:38 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Depends on what you consider undesirable.

I live in Hawaii, pretty popular weather. But I'm sick of it, sick of it always being hot and humid, sick of palm trees and sun during the holidays.

I want boots and sweaters, and SEASONS.
I wonder if I'm getting senile, Mikala, and confusing you with someone else. I thought you moved to Carson City a little while back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 05:15 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I wonder if I'm getting senile, Mikala, and confusing you with someone else. I thought you moved to Carson City a little while back.
That's where we are going.... still a year and a half to go.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-21-2018, 06:23 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's where we are going.... still a year and a half to go.
Oh, ok. I guess I missed the part about there being a delay.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:42 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Nope, where I live is expensive AND has undesirable weather. However, we don't have a state income tax-at least for the time being.

Lots of rain and snow, which is just fine by me. It's the dark days, freezing cold wind and slippery ice I'm not that wild about, but provided I can get out for awhile in fall/winter to where Mikala43 and steiconi are leaving it's A-OK.

Close proximity to the outdoors-ocean, snow capped mountains, forests and great trails for hiking, biking and running makes it a desirable place for me at this time. However, once one is so feeble that they're confined to a house, more or less, does it really matter much where they live?

Little time needed behind the wheel of a car and no real traffic is also a big plus. Driving "down south" is for the birds, IMO. Hard to imagine how old farts deal with it, but apparently we humans are highly adaptable.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:53 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

However, once one is so feeble that they're confined to a house, more or less, does it really matter much where they live?
I think it can still matter a LOT where one lives when one is older!

As long as one is able to sit outside on a patio, a porch, a balcony, or a yard, weather matters a LOT!

If one enjoys the different seasons and change of seasons, it is very enjoyable and satisfying to sit outside in the spring, summer, and autumn!!

And watching trees, bushes, and plants come alive with buds and leaves in spring - with flowers and greenery - while sitting outside or through windows is enchanting, life-enhancing, and very enjoyable!

Sitting outside during summer can be great - catching sun or sitting under a beach-type umbrella, drinking iced tea, reading!

And colorful red and gold autumns are exciting while sitting outside or watching through windows!

Last edited by matisse12; 10-21-2018 at 07:10 PM..

Old 10-21-2018, 08:36 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
I like all sorts of weather. I enjoy snow sports, I can appreciate the pouring rain, I enjoy the hot sun....... I don't think weather could keep me from being happy. I am not sure how I would feel about living in an area with tornadoes, tho. That might be a deal breaker.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
When it is deep sub-zero in Park City, that just means there are fewer fair-weather skiers on the slopes. That makes for great skiing.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:09 AM

38 posts, read 37,531 times
I found Florida to be considerably less expensive then New England. We had a home in Brevard County, 2000 sq. ft. pool home in a pretty nice neighborhood. It cost us around $150k back in 2009. Way cheaper then prices in most of New England. Property taxes were pretty cheap too. The cost of running the AC in the hot months was cheaper than the cost of oil in NE.

But we sold it and now have a place in Maine. Warm weather areas like Florida may look good on paper, but they have plenty of problems too. Hurricanes, fire-ants and sand spurs (thinking of my poor dog), sweltering hot summers. There were a number of other things that turned us off on it that I won’t go into.. But I remember watching the news one day after one of the hurricanes (a few years ago), and people in Florida were suffering with no power and no air-conditioning for weeks, which is happening again right now after hurricane Michael. Living in Florida in the hot months, it’s pretty unpleasant trying to survive with no power/air-conditioning. Even if you have a generator, it takes a lot of power to run an air conditioner and eventually you run out of fuel.

New England has cold winters. We get snow. We get some really bad ice storms. We can lose power for weeks too. However, in New England if you have a wood stove at least you can still heat your home, even for extended periods. If it’s cold outside, you can add a layer or two of clothing. If you have a generator, you really only need to run it a few hours a day to keep the fridge cool, and maybe hot water for showers. Extended power outages don’t need to be a big deal here, if you plan ahead. The costs are higher to live here though. I just bought a new snow blower, $1400. An expense my friends in Florida don’t have.. Also, oil for the furnace, higher property costs, higher taxes..

The other trade off? Instead of sitting out on the beach or in the lanai on a warm winter day in Florida reading a good book, I instead will be sitting inside snug and warm in front of a warm fireplace, with a hot beverage and a good book while the snow flies outside. To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement