Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:04 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,404 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I first read about Costco's hearing aid service on this forum. I bought my hearing aids from Costco and was very happy with the aids, the service and the price.

But, I can't remember seeing anything about eyeglasses from Costco. I know I need a new prescription and the local store does have an optical department.

We have chain opticians all over this city, but the last time I used one, I was not happy--my prescription is not too unusual, but not dead simple, either. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with getting their prescription and glasses from Costco--or another, not too pricey place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 06:12 PM

545 posts, read 1,604,578 times
I've gotten my last few pairs of glasses from Costco. They don't have a huge selection of frames, but the prices are good. Last time, I reused my old frame & lenses (progressive w/ anti-glare coating) were only $129.95.

I went to the optician at my local store once. Did not care for him, but that doesn't mean they're all bad. I went there because I didn't have any vision insurance at the time, and it was cheaper than my regular place. Once we got a new policy at my job, I started going back to my original eye doc.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Progressive lens with all the bells and whistles? (More picky for lens quality and fit) Costco was OK, but not great, as there are some companies that do progressives RIGHT, and many that do not) + Progressives can take some getting used to.

Bi-focal basic glasses? (ez to get anywhere)

I found Costco to be ~1/2 price of retail and 2x best 'acceptable' price of online (Zenna... $39 glasses shop...)

I have not found the 'perfect' solution yet... Hope to hear from someone who has!

Old 10-17-2018, 06:58 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
I've just bought four pairs of prescription reading glasses from Costco. I'm really hard on my glasses.

Thought about using Zenni but Costco's turnaround is pretty quick. Plus if I lose a pad or need them tightened, I can go in and they'll do it for free.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:43 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
I purchased glasses from Costco and was pleased with both product and service.

Most recently I purchased from Zenni and am satisfied.

I have a very complex prescription.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:35 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,404 times
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to give Costco a try.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:31 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
I got glasses from Costco last month, I'm very happy. I've worn progressive lenses for the past 20 years but these are fantastic, so much better than any I've had in the past. The cost was less than half what a local eyeglass place wanted for exactly the same frames

Old 10-18-2018, 06:23 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Progressive lens with all the bells and whistles? (More picky for lens quality and fit) Costco was OK, but not great, as there are some companies that do progressives RIGHT, and many that do not) + Progressives can take some getting used to.

Bi-focal basic glasses? (ez to get anywhere)

I found Costco to be ~1/2 price of retail and 2x best 'acceptable' price of online (Zenna... $39 glasses shop...)

I have not found the 'perfect' solution yet... Hope to hear from someone who has!
Agree, Costco with progressives wasn't as good as the private doctor and services we now use. He recently got scooped up by Eye Doctor. Other than name quality has still been the same.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:40 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
I don't recommend buying glasses online. I am an optician and although I have worked mostly for private practice and a couple of chain opticals and often the prescription in glasses purchased online is not accurate. Many patients have come to me complaining that the prescription the doctor gave them is wrong, and when I actually measure the online purchased glasses in the lensometer, the prescription the online optical put in them is wrong. It isn't the doctor's fault at all. People frequently choose frames that don't fit their face. And sometimes it is so far off I am shocked the retailer sent them that way. I recommend Costco over online prescription glasses purchases any day. If you have a problem, you can physically take the glasses back to them. And many people are satisfied with them.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:49 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,097 times
I've gotten my eyeglass and contact prescriptions filled at the Costco optical center, and I was very happy with them. Great prices and pretty quick service. I'd do it again if I had a Costco near me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement